Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman stepping down as GM | Julien BriseBois promoted to GM

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Leave it to Vinik to put things in perspective. Jeff could vouch for w cucumber and it would jave my support

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm not upset that Yzerman is leaving, I'm upset at the way he did it. Maybe it had to do with TB falling out of the EK race and the time was now, but to step down a few days before training camp and act like this is anything other than him prepping to move to the Detroit organization is a slap in the face, IMO. If he worked out his contract and then chose to leave, it'd still sting, but I'd have zero issue. It's his right to be where he wants to be and work for who he wants to work for.

I know Brisebois will do well and I have absolutely zero concern about the team moving forward without Yzerman. I respect what Yzerman has done for Tampa Bay, I respect how he operated in the time he was here and I respect that he didn't totally just take it to us raw by waiting until Brisebois was poached by another team. I'm disappointed by the way this played out, though and the likely reasoning behind this decision.

But I believe that Brisebois is essentially Yzerman. Seems like they're pretty much the same person. And I think a lot of our success could be attributed to our cap navigation which from what I understand is mostly (all?) JB.

Bring on the season.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not upset that Yzerman is leaving, I'm upset at the way he did it. Maybe it had to do with TB falling out of the EK race and the time was now, but to step down a few days before training camp and act like this is anything other than him prepping to move to the Detroit organization is a slap in the face, IMO. If he worked out his contract and then chose to leave, it'd still sting, but I'd have zero issue. It's his right to be where he wants to be and work for who he wants to work for.

I know Brisebois will do well and I have absolutely zero concern about the team moving forward without Yzerman. I respect what Yzerman has done for Tampa Bay, I respect how he operated in the time he was here and I respect that he didn't totally just take it to us raw by waiting until Brisebois was poached by another team. I'm disappointed by the way this played out, though and the likely reasoning behind this decision.

But I believe that Brisebois is essentially Yzerman. Seems like they're pretty much the same person. And I think a lot of our success could be attributed to our cap navigation which from what I understand is mostly (all?) JB.

Bring on the season.

It's not like he's going to sign on with Detroit tomorrow. It'll be a year or two or more, if it ever happens. Something kept him onboard throughout the summer, we just don't know what. But to say it's a slap in the face to the organization is a stretch, since the decision was made, and presented to Vinik, 1-2 months ago.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think he did it this way to help us set up for the future. If he just left at the end of his contract, and Brisebois had gotten signed away as someone else's GM we would be much more screwed than we are now.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Could there be "schools" in the TBL organization, one that can accept a trade of Sergachev and one that doesn't?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
After Karlsson trade Yzerman resignation is starting to make sense.
I don't think it has anything to do with that. Y is tired, has gotten older and wants to spend some time with his family and not at airports and on planes and in hotel rooms several days a week. He's groomed Breezy for years and now it's his time to take over while still having Y guide him for another year at least.

If we had won the Cup last season I think this announcement would have come out way earlier. This is not something he has thought and decided on in the past few days.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ottawa wasn't dealing Karlsson to us, ever. That's clear from the condition they put on the pick from SJ, and it's clear from the way the Hoffman trade went down, and the statements they made afterward. They didn't want him staying east either. It appears to be a team philosophy--one that's outdated and lacks logic, but that only makes it consistent with their current management.

Dorion has never made a trade inside the Atlantic. He used us as leverage against other teams and got burnt for it.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
I think that, sooner or later, Yzerman will return to Red Wings. Because it's right, I don't blame him. Also because, to be honest, I'd do the same thing.
But are you sure that he'll go to Detroit soon?
I've read that Holland has 2 many years on this contract. So the ways are 2: fire Holland or wait till the end of his contract...

Yes, Holland just signed a 2 year extension for the 18/19 season and the 19/20 season.
With the tampering rules and all..... SY will probably stay on this season as an adviser with TB, He'll work with JBB for the year, probably working from his Detroit home. After his contract is up, he will then be open to talk to the Wings, who will probably sign him in some type of capacity, whether its as an assistant GM to Holland, or some new title/position. Maybe he really doesn't want to GM anymore and will simply be an adviser to Holland/Detroit going forward.... Keep in mind that Holland has stated numerous times that he isn't ready to retire any time soon. He still wants to GM, whether its in Detroit or elsewhere. He has also been rumored to be interested in the new Seattle club GM job too. So I think the outcome here is still very much in question. Does SY still want to GM? Is Holland willing to move on? I don't think its a done deal yet. I think there are still multiple outcomes possible and we probably won't know for another year or two minimum.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yes, Holland just signed a 2 year extension for the 18/19 season and the 19/20 season.
With the tampering rules and all..... SY will probably stay on this season as an adviser with TB, He'll work with JBB for the year, probably working from his Detroit home. After his contract is up, he will then be open to talk to the Wings, who will probably sign him in some type of capacity, whether its as an assistant GM to Holland, or some new title/position. Maybe he really doesn't want to GM anymore and will simply be an adviser to Holland/Detroit going forward.... Keep in mind that Holland has stated numerous times that he isn't ready to retire any time soon. He still wants to GM, whether its in Detroit or elsewhere. He has also been rumored to be interested in the new Seattle club GM job too. So I think the outcome here is still very much in question. Does SY still want to GM? Is Holland willing to move on? I don't think its a done deal yet. I think there are still multiple outcomes possible and we probably won't know for another year or two minimum.

I think the most likely outcome is Holland in Seattle, Yzerman in Detroit.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Don't know why Ottawa should care whether Karlsson is in the same conference or not, Karlsson is going to retire before the Sens are competitive again. Well, it's not like the Sens management has been very familiar with making sense lately.

Edit: wrong post quoted, lol. Was meant to quote DFC.

Last edited:

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Also in my opinion it's not a done deal: there're many possibilities in his future.
But I think that the Detroit one has the highest %. Maybe becoming ad advisor or a assistant GM for the 2019-20 season and then a full time GM when Holland's contract will expire. It's an idea.
To be honest, I don't believe in the Seattle possibility.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Don't know why Ottawa should care whether Karlsson is in the same conference or not, Karlsson is going to retire before the Sens are competitive again. Well, it's not like the Sens management has been very familiar with making sense lately.

That's the thing. It's outdated logic, and it hurts you more than it helps you, but these are the Melnyk Senators.

Reactions: JoVel

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Also in my opinion it's not a done deal: there're many possibilities in his future.
But I think that the Detroit one has the highest %. Maybe becoming ad advisor or a assistant GM for the 2019-20 season and then a full time GM when Holland's contract will expire. It's an idea.
To be honest, I don't believe in the Seattle possibility.

Maybe my post wasn't clear. It was Holland who is reportedly interested in the Seattle GM job, not Yzerman.
Before Holland signed his latest 2 yr extension, the rumor was that he might not be extended and that he might be interested in going and overseeing/GMing the Seattle expansion club. I think its a real possibility that if the Wings ownership wants Yzerman back, that Holland goes after the Seattle job. I don't think Yzerman is interested in that job, although he is a BC boy, so it would be close to his roots.

Reactions: Fabiobest

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Maybe my post wasn't clear. It was Holland who is reportedly interested in the Seattle GM job, not Yzerman.
Before Holland signed his latest 2 yr extension, the rumor was that he might not be extended and that he might be interested in going and overseeing/GMing the Seattle expansion club. I think its a real possibility that if the Wings ownership wants Yzerman back, that Holland goes after the Seattle job. I don't think Yzerman is interested in that job, although he is a BC boy, so it would be close to his roots.
No, don't worry: your post was clear...but I'm quite drunk is these days and so I misunderstood. :) :) :) I've read it 2-3 times now and the post is clear :)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think the only GM job Yzerman would consider, given that his wife apparently will not move out of Michigan, is the Detroit job. And I don't get the sense Yzerman is ready for his golden years, so I think he will eventually take it. We shouldn't hold that against him. It's a family decision as much as anything.

JedYzerman

Jan 8, 2011
Cocoa Beach, FL
I think the only GM job Yzerman would consider, given that his wife apparently will not move out of Michigan, is the Detroit job. And I don't get the sense Yzerman is ready for his golden years, so I think he will eventually take it. We shouldn't hold that against him. It's a family decision as much as anything.

Isn't the reason why his wife will not move out of Michigan because their daughter is going to college there? She should be graduating soon and then they would be free to move/live anywhere. Having spent years apart from my family I 100% support Yzerman's decision.

Worst part about this whole thing is I'll need to change my ForumName. Any suggestions?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Isn't the reason why his wife will not move out of Michigan because their daughter is going to college there? She should be graduating soon and then they would be free to move/live anywhere. Having spent years apart from my family I 100% support Yzerman's decision.

Worst part about this whole thing is I'll need to change my ForumName. Any suggestions?
Make some sort of joke about how someone could (and probably does) pronounce BriseBois. As in B-rice Boys or something like that.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Since SFY is still here you can still use his name. I gotta go to work in a minute so I'll just chuck out the first things that come to my head. WARNING: they're probably all gonna suck

Tunderstruck
Nation Of Yzlam
8691GuiltySpark
Ride The Lightning -I may change my name to it but I'm not sure yet
Youre A Wizard Stevie
YzerGon Jinn
High Voltage
91Timer -I think that was my old username
121Gigawatts -Sadly you're not allowed to use periods, otherwise I'd have been 3.14Gigawatts earlier this summer
Yzermans Glasses
AnBoltsFan -Thanks Steezy

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I don't think her reason was ever given publicly. Yzerman, when talking about how young some of our players were once, said she moved to be closer to one of their daughters who left for college. But I'm pretty sure she's from Michigan originally. Either way, I don't think Yzerman's done with being a GM, but I think he's done with the extra-taxing family travel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->