Steve Downie is on pace for 345 PIM...

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Here is the point you fail to understand: while you people are busy chestbumping each other because Gudbranson beat Downie in a fight (a fight Downie initiated), you are completely clueless to the fact the tone of the game changed after it. It's subtle, I know...

Oh this is just the best one yet! :laugh:

@trashnewton: FLA controlled 5-on-5 play with 54 shot attempts to PIT’s 27 (66%). Fleury was lights out (.978 sv%) #FancyCats http://twitter.com/trashnewton/status/546708105342754816/photo/1

It must be reallllllyyyyyy subtle. Somewhere in that chart we can see the whole game turn around!

Xavier Laflamme*

He looked genuinely psychotic in the Panthers game, he's not the biggest guy but he's pretty scary when he looks that intense.

And clearly opposing players recognize that as you could see the Panthers all of a sudden started playing a passive game. Nobody wants to deal with a guy like Downie when he's like that.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
And clearly opposing players recognize that as you could see the Panthers all of a sudden started playing a passive game. Nobody wants to deal with a guy like Downie when he's like that.

:laugh: This is now genuinely funny. Like a group troll effort. Passive?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hated when we signed him. I expected andirt ball that went around taking unnecessary penalties and making us look bad.

Instead, we got a psychotic winger with ability to play on any line and goes nuts the moment you **** with our stars. I love what he's brought to this club. He SNAPPED after Bolland got away with a dirty slash to Crosby. I love what he's brought to the organization. I got nothing wrong with an overly aggressive and naaty player. Provided you're not making the organization look bad and you're protecting team mates, I'm all for his play.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

@trashnewton: FLA controlled 5-on-5 play with 54 shot attempts to PIT’s 27 (66%). Fleury was lights out (.978 sv%) #FancyCats http://twitter.com/trashnewton/status/546708105342754816/photo/1

It must be reallllllyyyyyy subtle. Somewhere in that chart we can see the whole game turn around!

I actually watched the game--and understood what was happening. Typical discussion with someone who looks a box scores and never played the game. How many secondary assists did Sid get?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
He's a really despicable human being. If you want to understand how despicable, read Gare Joyce "Future Greats and Heartbreaks." I think Downie should be banned from all hockey permanantly.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He's been good this year. 0.5 PPG while being a goon, pretty much the tough guy you want on your team.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
A lot of these PIMs have come from Misconducts that were, frankly, kind of ********. He got 20 minutes for getting shoved into the boards after scoring a goal by Byfuglien.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
He's a really despicable human being. If you want to understand how despicable, read Gare Joyce "Future Greats and Heartbreaks." I think Downie should be banned from all hockey permanantly.

Lololol:laugh: this just proves downie is doing what we signed him for (pissing people off) haha

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's funny, everyone is talking about his antics after the fight, but he also had two assists, including a gorgeous cross ice pass to set up the game winning goal.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Good for Downie, he's seem to found his niche in Pittsburgh. I'd rather it be elsewhere, but whatever. I just hope he's a little bit careful with his head injury history.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The dude watched his dad die at a young age. That might have an effect on some people. He seems like he's tempered himself a little bit, I don't think he is some sort of psychopath like others are making him out to be.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I actually watched the game--and understood what was happening. Typical discussion with someone who looks a box scores and never played the game. How many secondary assists did Sid get?

:laugh: If this isn't the most generic HF response for I just lost an argument then I don't know what is. Let's see the typical responses that are horribly false that we covered here.

1. I watch the game not the boxscore.
2. You never played the game.
3. A strawman.

All in 3 sentences! Honestly very impressive. (Except you were 0 for 3...)

I was talking in terms of the physical/chippiness not shots on goal :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

In my reply to you, where was shots on goal brought up? Why are you trying to put an argument in my mouth? I'd like you to prove that we were in someway passive. You can't though, because, just like before the fight, we controlled the game. Did you seriously expect the gongshow that was the first period to continue the whole game? That's never going to happen.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I saw it as a pretty even game, controlling it is way overselling things.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
because all shots are created equal?

They certainly aren't but getting outshot double is quite a bit.

I did not watch the game so I don't have an opinion either way but 54-27 is a BIG discrepancy. They all could've been from the side boards for all I know though.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
They certainly aren't but getting outshot double is quite a bit.

I did not watch the game so I don't have an opinion either way but 54-27 is a BIG discrepancy. They all could've been from the side boards for all I know though.

That's shot attempts not actually shots (only at ES to). The shot difference was 46 to 34 in favour of the Panthers.

Clown Baby*

Not a bad read.

Except Gare fails to mention that it was the Spitfires that suspended Downie, and Aliu - not the OHL. And that Mantha was on the team bus at the time of the hazing.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/windsor-spitfires-fire-gm-coach-moe-mantha-1.528740

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2932633

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Shot attempts are a meaningless stat. Most reasons why a shot doesn't hit the net is because of the effort by the defense by leaving little space and time for a good shot. Looking up the stats for the game, Florida outshot Pittsburgh 46-34.

All looking at your shot attempts and the actual shots on goal tell me is that the Penguins played a better defensive game. A greater percentage of shots by the Penguins made it to the net, while the Panthers had trouble doing the same to the Pens net.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Shot attempts are a meaningless stat. Most reasons why a shot doesn't hit the net is because of the effort by the defense by leaving little space and time for a good shot. Looking up the stats for the game, Florida outshot Pittsburgh 46-34.

All looking at your shot attempts and the actual shots on goal tell me is that the Penguins played a better defensive game. A greater percentage of shots by the Penguins made it to the net, while the Panthers had trouble doing the same to the Pens net.

I wouldn't call "a better defensive game" being hemmed in your own zone and allowing 46 shots to an offensively anemic team. Generally, more shot attempts is a direct result of more zone time, which, I would wager is a strong correlation in this game.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I wouldn't call "a better defensive game" being hemmed in your own zone and allowing 46 shots to an offensively anemic team. Generally, more shot attempts is a direct result of more zone time, which, I would wager is a strong correlation in this game.

I don't see why Florida having poor offense means anything. The Pens had only 2 defensemen in the game with more than 30 games played. It shouldn't have been a surprise that the Pens had trouble getting the puck out. That doesn't change that shot attempts are a meaningless stat, expecially when you don't point out how many missed the net and how many were blocked.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00