Steve Downie is on pace for 345 PIM...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's a bit crazy but he's got decent skill and I like that he is very protective of his teammates.

He's fearless. His fight card is filled with guys he give up 4+ inches and 30+ pounds to.

LionelHutz*

I wonder if it is awkward between him and Crosby given that Downie tried breaking his leg in half

Not sure if he's truthful,but after Downie was signed Sid was interviewed about it and said he honestly forgot about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

useless

Feb 2, 2011
Personally, I think he brings a lot of what the Pens needed. Great team guy, some soft hands, and a bit crazy. Truth be told though, it does seem a few of these minutes are from misconducts because he can't keep his trap closed.

They definitely need people like him, if the refs would call a tighter game and not allow our stars to take cheap shots all game players like this wouldn't be needed.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
obligatory helmet kick post.

wUjsGkg.gif

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
If he could shoot and play on the PP he would be a 2nd line player ability wise, he has beautiful mitts when it comes to passing.

His 5v5 production per minute is also exemplary since he entered the league. 2P/60... that is the same in that time as:

Eric Staal, Anze Kopitar, Nicklas Backstrom, Jeff Carter, Justin Williams and Max Pacioretty.

The only bigger surprise for me in the top 100 5v5 P/60 producers in that timeframe (2007-08 to present, 1000+ minutes played) is JP Dumont.

That he does, he made a great pass last night through traffic to set up Pouliot for his first career goal.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
He's a psychopath. Always has been, just a question of when the bomb goes boom. It's somewhat of a shame the brain he's got. If he wasn't as crazy and reckless as he is and shot more, he'd be an great top 6 forward.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Love watching Downie play, just glad he isn't on the Avs anymore. Just look at his eyes, he's a psychopath. You can never tell when he's about to snap.

Especially at his price. Back when he was Colorado's property he would have probably gotten 3-4 mil a season or something. Now he's actually good value for Penguins for 1 mil.

penguins2946*

I absolutely love Downie. He's extremely physical, he's willing to stick up for his teammates and he actually has a lot of skill. He's a really unique player actually, how many players other than him can be producing at a 45 point and 325 PIM pace on a 3rd line? Him and Sutter on the 3rd line is an absolutely awesome duo.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Probably shouldn't be talking smack when you get your *** kicked

Why? It worked for Max Talbot.

Downie has been what the Penguins have been desperately missing since Talbot...and as long as most of those PIMs are coming in the form of 10 minute misconducts I can live with it. Had Farnham spent the entire season in Pittsburgh it'd be pretty funny to see them lap the competition in PIMs considering our leading PIM guy last year was Tanner '2 minute minor for interference' Glass with 90. Farnham had 113 in 23 AHL games :laugh:

Clown Baby*

If he could shoot and play on the PP he would be a 2nd line player ability wise, he has beautiful mitts when it comes to passing.
He can, and he can. When he was given minutes on the PP during his time in Tampa, Downie made a habit out of scoring in the slot. The goals were almost all deflections, but who gives a **** about sex appeal when you net 20 goals and 200 PIM.

Pittsburgh has to be careful. They brought Downie in because they wanted more bite to their roster, but without anyone around to give the team a bit of a backbone the guy's going to overcompensate. Which wouldn't be a problem with 99% of the players around the league, but it can be at times with Downie.

He's not the biggest guy around (the stat-sheets are bull-****, he's not 5'11" and he's not 200 lbs), he's not the best fighter, and he absolutely will not hesitate to drop them with guys a hell of a lot bigger if it means proving a point. Regardless of how much damage he'll take. If things keep carrying on like they have this season, his career trajectory is going to be like Mike Richards'.

penguins2946*

He can, and he can. When he was given minutes on the PP during his time in Tampa, Downie made a habit out of scoring in the slot. The goals were almost all deflections, but who gives a **** about sex appeal when you net 20 goals and 200 PIM.

Pittsburgh has to be careful. They brought Downie in because they wanted more bite to their roster, but without anyone around to give the team a bit of a backbone the guy's going to overcompensate. Which wouldn't be a problem with 99% of the players around the league, but it can be at times with Downie.

He's not the biggest guy around (the stat-sheets are bull-****, he's not 5'11" and he's not 200 lbs), he's not the best fighter, and he absolutely will not hesitate to drop them with guys a hell of a lot bigger if it means proving a point. Regardless of how much damage he'll take. If things keep carrying on like they have this season, his career trajectory is going to be like Mike Richards'./QUOTE]

The player that the Pens should be worried about long term is Farnham. He's smaller than Downie, he's a horrible fighter and he won't back down from anyone. Downie doesn't fight that much, Farnham has gotten in a fight in basically every game this year.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Why? It worked for Max Talbot.

Downie has been what the Penguins have been desperately missing since Talbot...and as long as most of those PIMs are coming in the form of 10 minute misconducts I can live with it. Had Farnham spent the entire season in Pittsburgh it'd be pretty funny to see them lap the competition in PIMs considering our leading PIM guy last year was Tanner '2 minute minor for interference' Glass with 90. Farnham had 113 in 23 AHL games :laugh:

i hate him, because he has always been on the other team. but i do think he is a valuable player. i think the Avs miss him this year, and i think the Pens needed to add some nasty. reminds me a bit of a Matt Cooke, another guy I absolutely could not stand, but someone who was actually a decent player, on top of being a big pain in the ass to play against.

(my all-time favorite Matt Cooke moment is still when 18-year-old Evander Kane accepted his challenge and then one-punched him to oblivion. coming as it did on the heels of Cooke having knocked out Bruins' Savard a month earlier, and at the height of Cooke's dickishness, that was a very satisfying fight.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad