Steve Downie is on pace for 345 PIM...

Phenom97

Feb 27, 2011
Canada
You gotta give the guy credit, I truly believe he has a significant role on the Penguins this year.
Just looking at the last game alone, Florida was playing dirty against Crosby. Slashing high sticking, whacking, etc, then Downie does this and Crosby had a smooth night after. I think him in the playoffs is going to be truly significant.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
:laugh:

Never seen someone talk so much **** after getting his ass kicked.

First time I've seen someone get their ass kicked without even a mark to show it. I remember watching hockey and getting your ass kicked meant blood, bruises and needing to be helped off the ice. Now you don't even have to hurt someone to kick their ass??? :shakehead

Go watch some fights on youtube and see what a real fight looks like

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
First time I've seen someone get their ass kicked without even a mark to show it. I remember watching hockey and getting your ass kicked meant blood, bruises and needing to be helped off the ice. Now you don't even have to hurt someone to kick their ass??? :shakehead

Go watch some fights on youtube and see what a real fight looks like

Guess I have to clear up an idiom now. Arguing semantics on a hockey discussion board is always fun!

Anyways, I used the phrase to mean "a decisive loss" in the same sense that a team losing say, 5-0, would be getting their ass kicked.

He decisively lost that fight.

Not the same ring to it. Oh well. You're trying.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
If Downie's job is to stick up for the skilled guys, get under the skin of the other team, and take guys better than him off the ice with him, I'd give him a 10/10 so far this season. Who cares if he wins or loses fights in the process?

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Guess I have to clear up an idiom now. Arguing semantics on a hockey discussion board is always fun!

Anyways, I used the phrase to mean "a decisive loss" in the same sense that a team losing say, 5-0, would be getting their ass kicked.

I highly doubt Downie was expecting to win the fight.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Downie plays with an edge and occasionally teeters on the line of dirty and questionable. If the crap that happened in last year's playoffs didn't happen, maybe the Pens would feel a guy like him wasn't necessary. But it is.

And I am glad JR got him, I'd like him and Comeau to be signed to extensions (Hoff too).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Terrible player, a baby, and dirty. Not a guy we want in the NHL, in the Kaleta/Ott/Torres category.

I remember a time we Pens fans weren't allowed to say a damned thing because we had Cooke (but hey, not like you guys were ever mad at Hunwick or anything).

Now you spew this with Marchand in your avatar?

:laugh:

Also, I have never seen a bigger baby in the NHL than Milan Lucic. He should do himself a favor and just shut up when he thinks he wants to comment on other players.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Steve Downie is a punk, but this team needed a punk. He is an effective agitator that can move up and down the line-up. I wanted him when I heard that the Flyers decided not to re-sign him.

I don't like the fact that he's the toughest player that is frequently in the line-up. Robert Bortuzzo and Zach Sill (who rarely fights as it is) are extra players for the team. I hope that the mangement doesn't think that he's the solution to protect Sid and Geno. Downie can't hang with light heavyweights/heavyweights. He will end up getting a concussion which would be terrible with lack of depth and how soft the team is.

The majority of posters on this website are opposed to enforcers. I am not one of them, and the many Pittsburgh posters are annoyed with that. I bring this topic up on a regular basis because it frustrating to see the team getting abused and no one can't or won't do anything about it.

Getting multiple power forwards is easier said than done. An enforcer isn't going to eliminate all the abuse. However, it does limit it. Evidence? Go watch how opposing teams played when Godard and Rupp were in the line-up.

With crappy players like Craig Adams, Zach Sill, and Marcel Goc on the team; why are people so worried about the fourth line being a liability? It blows my mind.

Having no enforcer for a team that has Crosby, Malkin, and Letang is the equivalent of having no car insurance with a luxury car. The team has gone 'goonless' for approximately four seasons. Why not give it a chance? This team has tried to have the league to take care of them; it didn't work. Ignore the abuse? Tried it. Power-forwards? That experiment didn't work with Morrow and Iginla.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Is Downie a cheap, dirty player? Yah. But an effective one at that. He pisses people off and can still manage to score at a 35+ point rate. I'll take that in the middle-six on my team.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Terrible player, a baby, and dirty. Not a guy we want in the NHL, in the Kaleta/Ott/Torres category.
This "terrible" player would be in TOP5 of the Bruins production right now, only 5 pts behind your leading scorer. And no, he´s not playing with Crosby or Malkin. And that´s with him being more in the box than on the ice. So terrible in hockey, yeah you can do the maths here about what´s terrible here.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I just checked and Downie has more points than Lucic and just 2 fewer than Marchand. :laugh:

Suppose Lucic better leave the NHL as well.

MurphyDump

Dec 22, 2010

Yeah, he's a terrible player. :help:

B5Wfce0CIAAoDrc.png

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

Here is the point you fail to understand: while you people are busy chestbumping each other because Gudbranson beat Downie in a fight (a fight Downie initiated), you are completely clueless to the fact the tone of the game changed after it. It's subtle, I know...

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I like having players people hate again. If everyone likes you, you're doing it wrong.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He looked genuinely psychotic in the Panthers game, he's not the biggest guy but he's pretty scary when he looks that intense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad