Steve Downie is on pace for 345 PIM...

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
The player that the Pens should be worried about long term is Farnham. He's smaller than Downie, he's a horrible fighter and he won't back down from anyone. Downie doesn't fight that much, Farnham has gotten in a fight in basically every game this year.

Matt Bradley was that guy for the Caps for a while. When other teams got out of line, we would punish them by making them beat up Matt Bradley, aka the Bleeder. He always wound up with horrible looking wounds, even if the punch just glanced his brow. There's nothing like the 'morale boost' of seeing your vengeance guy head to the locker room to get stitched up instead heading to the penalty box.

LionelHutz*

Matt Bradley was that guy for the Caps for a while. When other teams got out of line, we would punish them by making them beat up Matt Bradley, aka the Bleeder. He always wound up with horrible looking wounds, even if the punch just glanced his brow. There's nothing like the 'morale boost' of seeing your vengeance guy head to the locker room to get stitched up instead heading to the penalty box.

Ahhh Matt Bradley Edzo's 2nd liner for some reason. Man I thought I suppressed that horrible memory, *Drinks more*

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Probably shouldn't be talking smack when you get your *** kicked

Why not? Downie just took his best shot and skated away. Probably enraged the big oaf to see the little guy still talking smack after that.

I suppose some people on this board would react by cowering away, not in Downie's nature though.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Why not? Downie just took his best shot and skated away. Probably enraged the big oaf to see the little guy still talking smack after that.

I suppose some people on this board would react by cowering away, not in Downie's nature though.

All he got out of that was a nice laugh and a smirk across his face.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Pen's announcer " Downie is not done yet " while punching the guy on the ice. :facepalm:

I see some Cooke/Neal in him, which is always nice too see.

Last edited:

LionelHutz*

Pen's announcer " Downie is not done yet " while punching the guy on the ice. :facepalm:

I see some Cooke/Neal in him, which is always nice too see.

He is necessary evil, He is here to fulfill Ra's Al Ghoul's destiny.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
Downie is a POS. Nothing new here.

Funny how Pens fans have changed their tune now that he is on their team.

Short memories:

LionelHutz*

Short memories:

Something,something,something, Shawn Thornton,something,something,something, honor,something,something,CODE!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Short memories:

It's not short memories, we all hated him until the second he signed with us, but we're not going to hate a guy who wears our colors and is helping our team.

We'll almost certainly hate him the next time he plays against us, that's what he does. He's one of the best examples of 'love him when he's on your team, hate him when he's on their team'. He has severely cut down on the dangerous plays from when he was younger, though, no denying that. Downie's last suspension was more than 3 years ago, and that was an automatic leaving the bench suspension. His last truly bad play was that slewfoot on Crosby...which he deserved a hell of a lot more than a fine for.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the guy who got kicked off his junior league team for a hazing incident he initiated that resulted in him fighting a team mate during practice? He then got suspended and kicked off another one for slashing a referee during a faceoff?

Clown Baby*

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the guy who got kicked off his junior league team for a hazing incident he initiated that resulted in him fighting a team mate during practice? He then got suspended and kicked off another one for slashing a referee during a faceoff?
I'd rather you just stop posting on the internet if that's the true extent to your investigative journalism skillz.

There was so much more to that mess in Windsor than you've already demonstrated, and I'd rather not waste my time educating someone that's so clearly not interested in learning.

Downie was two steps away from being Ogie Ogilthorpe in junior, but that was a decade ago.
Not really. Downie was always the most offensively talented Pete, going back to when he was skating with Staal and Ryder. Unfortunately, he was lacking in pretty much every other area. His skating wasn't (still isn't) great. He's not exceptionally large. His defensive game is underrated, but limited because he doesn't have the speed to get from point A to point B quickly. Staal had everything else going for him except the vision of Downie, and the passing game, which I think you can start to see if you look at their career assist totals across every league.

Last edited by a moderator:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Downie was two steps away from being Ogie Ogilthorpe in junior, but that was a decade ago.

Yeah, he was real bad in junior and for his first couple years (as a rookie, among other infractions, he broke a linesman's ankle after he didn't like something). It wasn't until he got to Tampa that he dialed it back enough to be an NHL player. Still crazy, but manageable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad