Steve Downie is on pace for 345 PIM...

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I don't see why the Florida having poor offense meaning anything. The Pens had only 2 defensemen in the game with more than 30 games played. It shouldn't have been a surprise that the Pens had trouble getting the puck out. That doesn't change that shot attempts are a meaningless stat, expecially when you don't point out how many missed the net and how many were blocked.

I think we're agreeing here. You seem to be conceding my original point that we controlled the game if only for the reason that your defense corps is thin. The discussion on the merit of shot attempts as a stat doesn't really have a place here in a thread discussing the penalty minutes of Downie. In fact we're getting way off topic from the purpose of the thread here. So on that note I'll show myself out. Have a good one.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't call "a better defensive game" being hemmed in your own zone and allowing 46 shots to an offensively anemic team. Generally, more shot attempts is a direct result of more zone time, which, I would wager is a strong correlation in this game.

Conversely, the Panthers scored only one goal against a team missing 4 of its top 7 defensemen. One D was playing his first ever NHL game (and scored a goal on a Florida defensive breakdown) and one was playing his second NHL game. A third had played less than 15 games as of last night. It's really not that surprising that the Panthers had better zone time and more shots. The Pens managed to make the most of their chances, the Panthers didn't, partially because the D did a good job keeping them to the perimeter and when they didn't, Fleury outplayed Luongo.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That's shot attempts not actually shots (only at ES to). The shot difference was 46 to 34 in favour of the Panthers.

Ah well that changes everything. See, I wasn't lying when I said I didn't watch the game hahaha

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Conversely, the Panthers scored only one goal against a team missing 4 of its top 7 defensemen. One D was playing his first ever NHL game (and scored a goal on a Florida defensive breakdown) and one was playing his second NHL game. A third had played less than 15 games as of last night. It's really not that surprising that the Panthers had better zone time and more shots. The Pens managed to make the most of their chances, the Panthers didn't, partially because the D did a good job keeping them to the perimeter and when they didn't, Fleury outplayed Luongo.

I agree. I never argued any of these points here. We have a serious problem of putting the puck in the net irregardless of how many shots we may take. You guys took advantage of a few breakdowns and won the game. Once again, however, you seem to be conceding the point that I've been trying to make to some of your fellow Penguins fans which is the fact that we controlled the game, if only because of a weakened D corps. Not that the point I'm trying to make matters any more but I'm not the one who started the argument of who controlled the game. I'm merely defending an assertion of mine that was called into question. On a side note I appreciate the civil discussion of these last few posts as compared to a few other posters that I attempted to deal with earlier. Thank you for discussing hockey as opposed to semantics or personal attacks.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He's a really despicable human being. If you want to understand how despicable, read Gare Joyce "Future Greats and Heartbreaks." I think Downie should be banned from all hockey permanantly.

I've golfed with him on two occasions and you couldn't be further from the truth. I'm neither a Pens fan nor an overt Downie apologist. I suspect if you had any conception of the range of horrendous behaviours many hockey players participate in during their upbringings, you'd realize the Spitfires situation is but a needle in a haystack.

Feel free to PM me to hear what Downie did for me personally, I'd mention it openly on here but it would surely be considered self-promotion and I don't feel particularly up to sharing it in this thread.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Don't like players like him for sure, but if Pens fans are happy it's none of my business.

He will be irrelevant in the playoffs just like every other player like him always is. Or worse, he'll take a penalty that costs the Pens a game.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
He will be irrelevant in the playoffs just like every other player like him always is. Or worse, he'll take a penalty that costs the Pens a game.

Do you think he's an enforcer or something? Last time he was in the playoffs he scored 14 points in 17 games. That looks pretty relevant to me.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Do you think he's an enforcer or something? Last time he was in the playoffs he scored 14 points in 17 games. That looks pretty relevant to me.

I think he thinks he is, and with his concussion history that is not too smart.

However like I said, glad Pens fans are happy. Personally I wouldn't want him on my team.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I agree. I never argued any of these points here. We have a serious problem of putting the puck in the net irregardless of how many shots we may take. You guys took advantage of a few breakdowns and won the game. Once again, however, you seem to be conceding the point that I've been trying to make to some of your fellow Penguins fans which is the fact that we controlled the game, if only because of a weakened D corps. Not that the point I'm trying to make matters any more but I'm not the one who started the argument of who controlled the game. I'm merely defending an assertion of mine that was called into question. On a side note I appreciate the civil discussion of these last few posts as compared to a few other posters that I attempted to deal with earlier. Thank you for discussing hockey as opposed to semantics or personal attacks.

This disingenuous piffle at its best. You mocked Downie (subject of the thread, note) because he was pummeled By Gudbranson. Then you failed to recognize (or acknowledge) that Downie did his job and changed the tone of the game (oh, but the gong show couldn't continue could it?) as evidenced by Florida's domination and possession and shots at goal (oh, that's right, three guys fresh from WB/S on D for the Pens). Poor you, you just trying to discuss hockey civilly, and all these bad people are disagreeing with you. BS.

Do you really think Pens fans don't realize Florida played an excellent game and controlled much of the game? Sorry dude, most have us have watched a lot of hockey over the years and we get that, but that never really was the point was it? Your team lost a game and you're having a hard time dealing with it. Grow up and get over it. But, at least, to your initial point, Gudbranson whupped Downie--yeah baby, kicked his ass!! woohoo!

Last edited:

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I think he thinks he is, and with his concussion history that is not too smart.

However like I said, glad Pens fans are happy. Personally I wouldn't want him on my team.

Is this because he doesn't fit in your team's system or scheme, or are you morally opposed to having people Like Downie on the team you support (of course, if so, I'd be fascinated to know what team you support).

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Is this because he doesn't fit in your team's system or scheme, or are you morally opposed to having people Like Downie on the team you support (of course, if so, I'd be fascinated to know what team you support).

I think players like him are more trouble than they are worth, nothing more than that.

They stir stuff up but the retaliation is against someone like Crosby or Malkin. In the game last night didn't Crosby get slashed pretty good in the hand which was probably retaliation for the early hit Ekblad took from Farnham (or Downie, I can't recall)?

Come playoff time the only guys who get the calls against are the Neil's or Cooke's or Downie's.

Another poster noted Downie had 14 points in 2011 playoffs which is incredible but he also had 40 PIMs in those 17 games.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
This disingenuous piffle at its best. You mocked Downie (subject of the thread, note) because he was pummeled By Gudbranson. Then you failed to recognize (or acknowledge) that Downie did his job and changed the tone of the game (oh, but the gong show couldn't continue could it?) as evidenced by Florida's domination and possession and shots at goal (oh, that's right, three guys fresh from WB/S on D for the Pens). Poor you, you just trying to discuss hockey civilly, and all these bad people are disagreeing with you. BS.

Do you really think Pens fans don't realize Florida played an excellent game and controlled much of the game? Sorry dude, most have us have watched a lot of hockey over the years and we get that, but that never really was the point was it? Your team lost a game and you're having a hard time dealing with it. Grow up and get over it. But, at least, to your initial point, Gudbranson whupped Downie--yeah baby, kicked his ass!! woohoo!

:laugh: I might start spending 12 dollars a year to become a sponsor just so I could put half of this in my sig. This is ****ing amazing. :laugh:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
They stir stuff up but the retaliation is against someone like Crosby or Malkin. In the game last night didn't Crosby get slashed pretty good in the hand which was probably retaliation for the early hit Ekblad took from Farnham (or Downie, I can't recall)?

Farnham started targeting Ekblad in response to Bolland slashing Crosby, not the other way around.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
:dunno:

The simple fact is that hockey is at its core an entertainment industry. Competing against football, baseball, movies and bowling for your entertainment dollars.

I was at the Florida game and haven't been as entertained in years. Especially given it was a fairly meaningless (for the Pens anyways) game in the middle of the year against a low scoring team. Downie was a good part of why I was entertained.

tumblr_ly6jthIpVX1r9ei9ro1_500.gif

Why yes Mr. Downie, I certainly was. Thank you.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think players like him are more trouble than they are worth, nothing more than that.

Come playoff time the only guys who get the calls against are the Neil's or Cooke's or Downie's.

Another poster noted Downie had 14 points in 2011 playoffs which is incredible but he also had 40 PIMs in those 17 games.

Crosby and Malkin get that treatment already, just that now...other teams have to worry about their stars getting that same treatment now with Comeau, Downie and Farnham on the roster and as well as Despres and Bortuzzo to an extent.

The league decided to do jack **** last year when Sid was taking abuse that should have been penalties, so hey, if you can't play by the proper rules, adapt.

So JR went out and signed Comeau and Downie.

I'd love to see Marc Staal try the crap he did with Crosby this time in the playoffs. Because Nash and Martin St.Louis will get a rough ride back, and to me, that's awesome. Want to mess with us? Cool, we'll now return the favor. The refs are garbage and the leave disciplinarians have always been a massive joke.

You end up having to do what you gotta do.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Farnham started targeting Ekblad in response to Bolland slashing Crosby, not the other way around.

Ah thanks. Goes to my point though, no one goes after Bolland do they? So Crosby gets his hand taped up, Ekblad gets his face cut, Bolland and Farnham keep on trucking, and Downie gets pummeled by Gudbranson.

I guess if anything it makes a few more people interested in Mondays rematch.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
does his production really outweigh his pims though? i dont think so.

345 pims would be crazy.

Think about it this way.

If he pisses off a player that plays key minutes for the other team with his antics and they both end up in the box, that's a trade off the Pens will gladly take.

He also draws a lot of penalties.

Montreal, Winnipeg, Detroit, and New Jersey are still short handed more often than the Penguins.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Love Downie. He's a bit of a loose cannon which doesn't make him a favorite with most coaches, but he's a guy every team needs when they have those slumps.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ah thanks. Goes to my point though, no one goes after Bolland do they? So Crosby gets his hand taped up, Ekblad gets his face cut, Bolland and Farnham keep on trucking, and Downie gets pummeled by Gudbranson.

I guess if anything it makes a few more people interested in Mondays rematch.

Well it makes more sense to go after Ekblad than Bolland, he's a more important player. That and Farnham is going to hit defensemen like crazy no matter what, he's averaging almost a hit per minute of ice time. He forechecks like a demon and creates turnovers, Pouliot's goal was the result of him stealing the puck from Ekblad and the Panthers being trapped in the zone long enough for the Pens to make a line change.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Miss him so much. Downie is exactly the type of player you love to have on your team.

When he gets that crazed look going...used to love that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad