Speculation: Starting 2013-14 Roster (Want the Fan's eye view/hope/goal))

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Most teams would die to have our center problems, just saying.

Seriously we have 4 legit top 6 centers on our team. Some teams don't even have 2. I'd rather be in our shoes than the other way around. It will work out over time, we just need to let things happen, and it will work out in the end.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Seriously we have 4 legit top 6 centers on our team. Some teams don't even have 2. I'd rather be in our shoes than the other way around. It will work out over time, we just need to let things happen, and it will work out in the end.

Ironically two of those teams are stacked defensively and we are not :laugh: St. Louis & Nashville

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I'm not afraid to trade within the division. I'm not afraid of Staz burning us. I'd rather get the defenseman we need, that shuts Staz down repeatedly.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I'm not afraid to trade within the division. I'm not afraid of Staz burning us. I'd rather get the defenseman we need, that shuts Staz down repeatedly.

That whole thing gets too much attention. The important thing is to get a good return. And if you win the trade. Why does it hurt if it's in the division? It should only help.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm willing to go into next season with what we have. Don't know why everyone thinks this is like our last season to put things together. There's nothing we can do this off-season, that will make this team a threat this coming season.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised if this team now is the team Avs will go into the season with. Perhaps if they find a cheap defender in free agency but I think they have set a firm ceiling for how much it can cost.

O'Reilly - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - Stastny - Tanguay
McGinn - MacKinnon - Downie
McLeod - Mitchell - Bordeleau
Olver (one way contract and no waiver excemption)

Wilson - Johnson
Hejda - Barrie
Sarich - Elliott
Hunwick - Zanon

Varlamov
Giguere

That's 23 players. While I'm sure they'll try to get rid of Hunwick and Zanon I think the team might just suck it up this year and go with what they have and hope improved play from them will be enough. Then next year when Sarich, Hunwick and Zanon are off the books look to improve.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Gotta strike while the iron's hot.

With the drop in Cap, teams are looking to shed salary.

For us, that means the iron's hot!

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Gotta strike while the iron's hot.

With the drop in Cap, teams are looking to shed salary.

For us, that means the iron's hot!

No doubt there will be plenty of opportunities this summer.

But as I see it, Avs have already added $5M-$6M in salary since last year. I'm not sure how generous Kroenke feels. And with Landeskog/Duchene/O'Reilly/Barrie/Elliott/McGinn/Varlamov due for raises next year, how much salary can you take on?

shorn89

Apr 26, 2007
No doubt there will be plenty of opportunities this summer.

But as I see it, Avs have already added $5M-$6M in salary since last year. I'm not sure how generous Kroenke feels. And with Landeskog/Duchene/O'Reilly/Barrie/Elliott/McGinn/Varlamov due for raises next year, how much salary can you take on?

With the commitment that was made by ownership to both Roy and Sackic, if the right trade came around I think there would be enough financial flexibility to allow it to happen. I also don't think that either Roy or Sackic has a ton of emotional investment in the current roster (minus this years draft class). If it meant moving a piece that "we, the fans" considered untouchable previously to improve the team and fit Roy's system then I think they would do it in a heartbeat.

member 116861

So waivers mean zanon and hunwick are off the team basically?

No not really. I wouldn't be surprised to see us buy out or send Zanon down to Lake Erie but I think that Hunwick will be part of our 23 man roster next year.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Or they're stuck with them since no one wants them even for free.

When you say things like this...I remember how Hunwick was on our top pairing a lot last year with ROB... I just... ...there are no words...

I am baffled by the team that was put before us last year defensively....Did Sacco WANT to be fired?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
For some reason I have a feeling the Avs are going to get Ballard really cheap on a 1 year deal. I honestly don't think it would be a bad idea, I think he would be highly motivated to show he can still play at the NHL level.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I'd just love watching him every shift waiting for that hipcheck to catch someone.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Agreed. There's good players on every team. It just looks worse on the surface if you trade a player to a team you play all the time. Improving their D is by far the priority to picking and choosing who you trade with.

Not to mention the division has grown. It's not like they can afford to eliminate the teams in the division as trading partners.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Nah I wouldn't get Ballard, I actually like varly.

lol!

keith-ballard-light-saber-o.gif

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
All commentary on him joining the Avalanche aside, Keith Ballard was a gigantic bust for the Canucks.
They paid top dollar - both literally and in trade - for him and he was at his very best a third pairing guy. To his credit he did battle back from some absolutely atrocious play during Vancouver's cup finals run, but that isn't saying much.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
All commentary on him joining the Avalanche aside, Keith Ballard was a gigantic bust for the Canucks.
They paid top dollar - both literally and in trade - for him and he was at his very best a third pairing guy. To his credit he did battle back from some absolutely atrocious play during Vancouver's cup finals run, but that isn't saying much.

The problem was mainly his contract. He would easily be a Top 4 D on this team. And I read somewhere he wants to sign short term? Why not give it a shot...

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The problem was mainly his contract. He would easily be a Top 4 D on this team. And I read somewhere he wants to sign short term? Why not give it a shot...

Mainly his contract? He was a healthy scratch the entire 2013 post-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00