Speculation: Starting 2013-14 Roster (Want the Fan's eye view/hope/goal))

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Trading O'Reilly/Stastny would eleviate some pain, but if we can trade O'Reilly (and other assets) for a top 2. Plus if we can get one of them to resign for cheaper (most likely Stastny) that would help.

Lock Landeskog and Duchene 6+ long-long-term, Barrie 2+, Stastny 4+, McGinn and Downie 2+. Then hopefully we can save $ for Mac down the road.

I'm curious to know why you feel Paul Stastny, who would be coming up to unrestricted free agency for the first time, would be more likely to take a $2m+ paycut AAV in your scenario than O'Reilly to sign long-term in the $5m AAV range.

If this free agency has shown anything, it is that teams will overpay for guys they feel can scrape by in certain roles. A guy who is barely a top 4 defenseman will be paid like a very good #2/#3. A second line center will be paid like a good first line center. If we feel Staz is still a first line center with the right situation(see USA in World Championships), then I have no reason to believe he would come down that far.

Stastny, as a UFA over these past 24 hours or whatever, would have gotten $7m AAV or something silly. No doubt in my mind.

I think we could move Stastny, along with a draft pick(2014 1st or 2nd depending on the player) and maybe an Elliott or something, for a damn good defenseman. That would also shed us of Paul's $6.6m salary and allow us to allocate that for extensions elsewhere.

Just my two cents. I'll be awaiting the comments by people saying I am simply biased against Staz. ;)

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I don't know about off the ice, on the ice I'll agree.

He might not be the first choice as a drinking buddy or to go pick up broads on a Saturday night, but he's a classy guy and a role model. That can't be questioned. Dedicated, honest, polite, on and on. May not be the coolest cat, but that's irrelevant. On the ice and off the ice, a great teammate and great person.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bingo bango bongo.

Next summer:

Player - FA type - Current - Projected (ignoring years)

Stastny - UFA - $6.6m - $6.5m
O'Reilly - RFA - $6.5m($5m hit) - $5m
Landeskog - RFA - $3.575m - $5m
Duchene - RFA - $3.5m - $6.5m
Varlamov - RFA - $2.83m - $4.5m
Downie - UFA - $2.65m - $3.75m
McGinn - RFA - $1.75m - $3m
Barrie - RFA - $0.9m - $2.5m

Ignoring guys like Giguere, Elliott, Hishon, etc. who shouldn't be much. Really, only Staz and O'Reilly will be in the similar AAV range. The other guys will go up, and go up substantially. I think Downie could be closer to $4m as an impending UFA if he stays healthy and Ginner closer to $3.5m if he doesn't hit two posts per game. Duchene at $6.5m long-term might be a discount, who knows if he keeps exploding.

We can't be stupid here. Locking up over $6.5m AAV in Ference and Gordon would have been bad. Period.

Way too early for this stuff because we don't know what will happen next season but I'll say the max for Landeskog will be $4M/yr and both Stastny and O'Reilly won't be on the team. Hopefully O'Reilly gets extended. Stastny will be 28 and he can probably get what he is making right now on the open market. O'Reilly is younger, he'll be cheaper, and next season he'll show he's also better.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Way too early for this stuff because we don't know what will happen next season but I'll say the max for Landeskog will be $4M/yr and both Stastny and O'Reilly won't be on the team. Hopefully O'Reilly gets extended. Stastny will be 28 and he can probably get what he is making right now on the open market. O'Reilly is younger, he'll be cheaper, and next season he'll show he's also better.

That seems quite low for Landeskog, it's barely a raise from his entry level contract. I think, as the captain of our team and given the intangibles he brings, it's quite possible the team would want to get something done long-term and the $5m AAV range sounds about right to me.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Stastny, as a UFA over these past 24 hours or whatever, would have gotten $7m AAV or something silly. No doubt in my mind.

i don't see it, sure he didn't make it to ufa but datsyuk got 7.5

jordan staal got 6.0

ribero got 5.5

the most i could see a team pony up is 6.5 but even at that price i'd be shocked.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Wondering what the power plays will look like. Avalanche need to find a way to fit Steve Downie in, he's got soft hands. But it will be tough behind all of the Avalanche's forwards.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Parenteau
Barrie - Duchene

Tanguay - Stastny - Downie
Benoit - O'Reilly​

Stefan Elliott will work his way in there if he makes the team. Alex Tanguay could easily move to the point as well, or PA Parenteau.

Stacked offensively.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That seems quite low for Landeskog, it's barely a raise from his entry level contract. I think, as the captain of our team and given the intangibles he brings, it's quite possible the team would want to get something done long-term and the $5m AAV range sounds about right to me.

I guess it depends on how he plays next season and how Sakic/Roy handle second contracts.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Penalty Kills:

O'Reilly - Landeskog
Hejda - Johnson

Stastny - McGinn
Wilson - Sarich​

Still not bad at all on paper, granted just my projections. But improving on special teams next year will make a world of difference.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wondering what the power plays will look like. Avalanche need to find a way to fit Steve Downie in, he's got soft hands. But it will be tough behind all of the Avalanche's forwards.......

I like...

Landeskog-Duchene-Parenteau
Barrie-O'Reilly

MacKinnon-Stastny-Tanguay
Johnson-Benoit

Are you saying Greg won't be around next summer? :(

He'll probably be around doing the same thing he's doing right now. Nothing.......:laugh:

I meant in terms of bridge contract or long-term contract. Even if Sherman is the one negotiating the contracts, Sakic/Roy will tell him what kind of deal they want.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think Stefan Elliott will start the year in Lake Erie but will be the first call-up and have a big year. If he does the Avalanche will be rock solid on the right side.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think we could move Stastny, along with a draft pick(2014 1st or 2nd depending on the player) and maybe an Elliott or something, for a damn good defenseman. That would also shed us of Paul's $6.6m salary and allow us to allocate that for extensions elsewhere.

Like ROR's next contract?

I think a deal with either one could bring back a good defenseman.
By your logic though, if ROR and Staz are about on the same AAV contract (which I don't think will actually be the case), ROR (the better, younger player) will bring the same dman back without having to add an asset like Elliott, so at what point does that make Stastny more valuable as the player to keep if it means retaining another valuable asset along with him?

Just my two cents. I'll be awaiting the comments by people saying I am simply biased against Staz. ;)

I won't blame your bias, as we all have them. I'll just blame Sacco for everything. :laugh:

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I think we can resign Stastny cheaper. Sakic and Roy have really been outspoken about his role on the team. With this new attitude, he could possibly sign for 4.5-5 M.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Logan Couture got 6 mil, I see no reason why Duchene can't get the same and be happy with it.

6 mil for 7 or 8 years would be fantastic. Stas at 5 mil and O'reilly at 5.5 would be ideal. Landy with a bridge contract two years at 9 mil would be good.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Lando probably signs a Bridge Deal closer to what Duchene took, maybe a tad higher.

If it's a little bit longer term I could see him getting into the mid 4's and low 5's, something I wouldn't mind one bit, he's our Captain and as long as he plays like we know he's capable of, we need to show him the love.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Logan Couture got 6 mil, I see no reason why Duchene can't get the same and be happy with it.

6 mil for 7 or 8 years would be fantastic. Stas at 5 mil and O'reilly at 5.5 would be ideal. Landy with a bridge contract two years at 9 mil would be good.

I can almost guarantee that one of Stastny/O'Reilly isn't with the Avalanche in the 2014-2015 NHL season.

Gives a lot more room to sign whoever they get traded for.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
I like...

Landeskog-Duchene-Parenteau
Barrie-O'Reilly

MacKinnon-Stastny-Tanguay
Johnson-Benoit

He'll probably be around doing the same thing he's doing right now. Nothing.......:laugh:

Good feeling with PP unit next season... I like our lines

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He might not be the first choice as a drinking buddy or to go pick up broads on a Saturday night, but he's a classy guy and a role model. That can't be questioned. Dedicated, honest, polite, on and on. May not be the coolest cat, but that's irrelevant. On the ice and off the ice, a great teammate and great person.

I agree all that and he's a leader in his own right, but not he's not the person his teammates go to. Great teammate? Yes. Great person? Yes. Those two things aren't my definition of a leader though.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
i don't see it, sure he didn't make it to ufa but datsyuk got 7.5

jordan staal got 6.0

ribero got 5.5

the most i could see a team pony up is 6.5 but even at that price i'd be shocked.

I would be shocked if Stastny signed for anything less than 5.5M, would be surprised if it is less than 6M actually... ****, Weiss got 6M.

Next year, Stastny might be the most appealing center on the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad