Speculation: Starting 2013-14 Roster (Want the Fan's eye view/hope/goal))

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
With both Hunwick and Zanon clearing waivers, I imagine Elliott will be sent down. And since it doesn't seem like the Avs will do anything via UFA, I fully expect the 2013/2014 Avs to look like this:

Ryan O'Reilly ($5.000m) / Matt Duchene ($3.500m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($3.575m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Alex Tanguay ($3.500m)
Jamie McGinn ($1.750m) / Nathan Mackinnon ($3.775m) / Steve Downie ($2.650m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / John Mitchell ($1.100m) / Patrick Bordeleau ($1.000m)
Brad Malone ($0.750m) / Mark Olver ($0.600m) /

Ryan Wilson ($2.250m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Tyson Barrie ($0.900m)
Matt Hunwick ($1.600m) / Cory Sarich ($2.000m)
Greg Zanon ($2.250m) /

Semyon Varlamov ($2.833m)
Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.500m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,283,333; BONUSES: $5,560,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $9,839,167

Will be fighting to get into the playoffs with that roster. On the plus side, the Avs are 15 million over the cap floor :scared:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Anyone else think Elliott is going to get called up halfway through the season or something like that and end up sticking with the team? I think Elliott will love Roy's system and excel in it.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
This is my hope, at the very least:

O'Reilly - Duchene - Parenteau
Tanguay - Stastny - Landeskog
McGinn - Mackinnon - Downie
McCleod - Mitchell - Bordeleau

Mezaros/Klesla/Coburn/Ference - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Sarich
Hunwick

my forward lines would be completely different, but it looks like that's what Roy is going to start with in training camp. Also, my D would have 1 UFA signing (Ballard, Scuderi, Ference) and 1 trade (Coburn, Mezaros, Klesla) with Hunwick + Zanon being moved off the team.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Isn't there some kind of "overfaith" in Roy's system in here? He will probably play a style of hockey that will be more fun to watch. But do everyone honestly think it's a style that will make EVERY player on this team better? I have seen all our players named as players that will "be much better in Roy's system" do everyone honestly believe that?

It can probably and hopefully will happen to a few of them, but it will probably be a few who doesn't work out so well too.

I haven't seen Remparts at all, so I'm not sure exactly what kind of hockey we will see. But I'm sure he from time to time will be the "idiot coach" on here.

Roy should make this team better, mostly because most of our young players are in a stage where they should get better as they are growing towards their prime. But I don't think Roy can turn water into wine with this team.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
Isn't there some kind of "overfaith" in Roy's system in here? He will probably play a style of hockey that will be more fun to watch. But do everyone honestly think it's a style that will make EVERY player on this team better? I have seen all our players named as players that will "be much better in Roy's system" do everyone honestly believe that?

It can probably and hopefully will happen to a few of them, but it will probably be a few who doesn't work out so well too.

I haven't seen Remparts at all, so I'm not sure exactly what kind of hockey we will see. But I'm sure he from time to time will be the "idiot coach" on here.

Roy should make this team better, mostly because most of our young players are in a stage where they should get better as they are growing towards their prime. But I don't think Roy can turn water into wine with this team.

I think everyone is realistic in thinking the team as a whole should improve their play, not that everyone will have breakout years. It's hard to deny the fresh breath he has had to the organization by taking all the steps necessary to improve this team. I also think people realize that it literally can't get any worse than last year. The laid back, not caring, partying and Saccoing culture is out and has been replaced by one that is all about winning. Roy has a great hockey mind, and all him and Sakic have ever done for this franchise is win, so they know what it takes.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I think everyone is realistic in thinking the team as a whole should improve their play, not that everyone will have breakout years. It's hard to deny the fresh breath he has had to the organization by taking all the steps necessary to improve this team. I also think people realize that it literally can't get any worse than last year. The laid back, not caring, partying and Saccoing culture is out and has been replaced by one that is all about winning. Roy has a great hockey mind, and all him and Sakic have ever done for this franchise is win, so they know what it takes.

I'm on a wait and see basis still. I like most moves so far. But I also aint one who take player-history into account when I look at the management. But I understand the nostalgia has made people very excited.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I actually disagree with most of this. I really think our entire team will play better under Roy then with Sacco. When we had Sacco as coach we basically had no system at all. It was nothing but dump and chase, that was it. Our trasinitional game was horrible and our Forwards were terribly set up in the Defensive zone.

With Roy we will actually run a system that work for the player on our team. For the most part our players are fast and skilled, Roy is bringing in a system that works well for that type of player.

So yea, I seriously think all of Duchene, Landy, Stas, PAP, EJ, Barrie, etc. will all look a lot better and more comfortable on the ice next year.

I guess if theres anyone that wont look as good, it would be Hejda, Wilson, and McCleod. Just because they aren't as skilled or have the speed the other guys have.

But other then those guys, I really think we'll see our team play a lot better next year.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I actually disagree with most of this. I really think our entire team will play better under Roy then with Sacco. When we had Sacco as coach we basically had no system at all. It was nothing but dump and chase, that was it. Our trasinitional game was horrible and our Forwards were terribly set up in the Defensive zone.

With Roy we will actually run a system that work for the player on our team. For the most part our players are fast and skilled, Roy is bringing in a system that works well for that type of player.

So yea, I seriously think all of Duchene, Landy, Stas, PAP, EJ, Barrie, etc. will all look a lot better and more comfortable on the ice next year.

I guess if theres anyone that wont look as good, it would be Hejda, Wilson, and McCleod. Just because they aren't as skilled or have the speed the other guys have.

But other then those guys, I really think we'll see our team play a lot better next year.

I actually think Wilson was better when the Avs played up tempo. He seems better when the ice is open and the teams go back and forth a bit, rather than being parked for long stretches down low. Gives him more opportunities to separate a single puck carrier from the puck and disrupt the play rather than fighting along the boards and out front of the net against multiple forwards.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Roy gave an interview in Québec after the CHL import draft. May have been mentioned already but he said he's planning on having those lines to begin the season.

ROR - Duchene - Parenteau
McGinn - MacKinnon - Downie

Also, MacKinnon mentionned he'd like to stay with Giguère.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I want our goalies to become "experts" in handling the puck far out from the crease. I want Roy to get minor heart irregularities just because of that. I want him to suffer the way I did when he was goalie. :)

Can we steal Erik Gustafsson from Flyers?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Roy gave an interview in Québec after the CHL import draft. May have been mentioned already but he said he's planning on having those lines to begin the season.

First Roy and now MacKinnon, how can Jiggy say no now? :laugh:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
How old is Giguere's daughter now? 15? 16? Better keep an eye on MacK. 17 year olds will be 17 year olds.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

I'm drooling to see these lines in action and I'm crying when I see our defense lineup. Mixed feelings. :cry::handclap:

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Anyone else think Elliott is going to get called up halfway through the season or something like that and end up sticking with the team? I think Elliott will love Roy's system and excel in it.

Agreed. I really think inactivity on the FA D front is warranted. We have 2, possibly 3 defensemen we've invested at least 2 development years in that may be ready to contribute. How would they get the opportunity if we shell out 5 million / year for an aging vet, not to mention the difficulty in signing all our RFAs next off season.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
I'd want to move one of the top 6 for a defender and then move Mac up.

I think I prefer giving ALOT of 3rd line time to Mac. He'll already feel under the microscope so taking a bit of pressure off should help. On top of it, he'll be getting good PP minutes. something around 13-16 mins per game would be fine imo for a good long while.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Haha, that thread in the prospects forum from 2008 about what the team would look like in 5 years. Here's Benders (picked first Avs poster in that thread) Avs 2013 team

Colorado

Wolski-Stastny-Svatos
Smyth-Hensick-Stewart
Galiardi-Stoa-Jones
Tessier-Carman-Jeremy Morin

Liles-Shattenkirk
Cumiskey-Cohen
Leopold-Williams

Budaj
Delmas/Sauer

Only player that's left is Stastny and he might be gone in a year. Shows that you should never get married to prospects.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
I want our goalies to become "experts" in handling the puck far out from the crease. I want Roy to get minor heart irregularities just because of that. I want him to suffer the way I did when he was goalie. :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Winner!!

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007

Obviously I'm intrigued to see how these lines do, but they wouldn't be my first choice. Don't like ROR on the wing as I feel his skills are wasted. My lines would be something like:

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau --> if it ain't broke, don't fix it.. hopefully Ginner will hit less posts and more mesh.
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie --> reunited and it feels so good
Tanguay - Stastny - Mackinnon --> 2 vet passers with a finishing rookie

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Haha, that thread in the prospects forum from 2008 about what the team would look like in 5 years. Here's Benders (picked first Avs poster in that thread) Avs 2013 team

Colorado

Wolski-Stastny-Svatos
Smyth-Hensick-Stewart
Galiardi-Stoa-Jones

Liles-Shattenkirk
Cumiskey-Cohen
Leopold-Williams

Budaj
Delmas/Sauer

Only player that's left is Stastny and he might be gone in a year. Shows that you should never get married to prospects.

Saw that someone bumped that thread back up. Hilarious to think what our core was back then considered to where it is at now. So much can change.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Colorado

Wolski-Stastny-Svatos
Smyth-Hensick-Stewart
Galiardi-Stoa-Jones

Liles-Shattenkirk
Cumiskey-Cohen
Leopold-Williams

Budaj
Delmas/Sauer

Would be interesting to see what that line up became as of now. ex: cohen-----> Hunwick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad