Speculation: Starting 2013-14 Roster (Want the Fan's eye view/hope/goal))

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I hope no one is holding their breath on the Stastny for Defense trade.

I may be reading too much into what is happening so far, but
1) Roy mentioned not seeing a trade for Stastny happening yet and has been putting him at the 2C spot in his lineup.
----Makes me think he envisions the "old" Stastny returning under a new style of play.
----Also, I think we all agree Stastny will likely be more receptive to losing his spot at 2C to MacKinnon in the next couple years and seeing his role diminish to either a 3C or a move to LW.
2) Admitted he hasn't even talked to ROR about moving to wing, but still expecting that to be the case
----Think Roy is going to see how ROR reacts to not having Sacco there (who in my opinion seemed to favor giving ROR every opportunity to be an offense first player with the better linemates even when things were not going well).
----It also seems like a good way to test if ROR truly is the team first player everyone wants/claims him to be, or if he is wanting to be that more featured star center somewhere (can't fault ROR for wanting that either).
3) Drafting MacKinnon (although Avs sound like he was BPA by a decent margin)
----Not trading down to acquire some extra asset(s) and drafting another top tier player who may also fill a bigger need (Jones/Drouin) tells me that they knew the 2C spot would be an issue or at least a place an upgrade would be needed in the near future.

All in all, I think some contract negotiations will be done first, and a big move using one of Stastny or ROR to acquire a top defenseman will not happen until right before camp, or (as I believe to be more likely), at the deadline when ROR is available.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Stastny - Duchene - PAP
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Tanguay
McGinn - Mack - Downie
McLeod - Mitchell - Bordeleau
Olver, Malone

Wilson - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Hunwick - Sarich
Elliott

Varly
Giggy

That would be my starting day lineup with our current team.

But I would seek out a top four LHD to push Wilson to the third pairing and end up scratching Sarich for Elliott if we did that. I would also look to replace Mitchell with Moore, Lombardi or Gordon if he were affordable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I hope no one is holding their breath on the Stastny for Defense trade.

I may be reading too much into what is happening so far, but
1) Roy mentioned not seeing a trade for Stastny happening yet and has been putting him at the 2C spot in his lineup.
----Makes me think he envisions the "old" Stastny returning under a new style of play.
----Also, I think we all agree Stastny will likely be more receptive to losing his spot at 2C to MacKinnon in the next couple years and seeing his role diminish to either a 3C or a move to LW.
2) Admitted he hasn't even talked to ROR about moving to wing, but still expecting that to be the case
----Think Roy is going to see how ROR reacts to not having Sacco there (who in my opinion seemed to favor giving ROR every opportunity to be an offense first player with the better linemates even when things were not going well).
----It also seems like a good way to test if ROR truly is the team first player everyone wants/claims him to be, or if he is wanting to be that more featured star center somewhere (can't fault ROR for wanting that either).
3) Drafting MacKinnon (although Avs sound like he was BPA by a decent margin)
----Not trading down to acquire some extra asset(s) and drafting another top tier player who may also fill a bigger need (Jones/Drouin) tells me that they knew the 2C spot would be an issue or at least a place an upgrade would be needed in the near future.

All in all, I think some contract negotiations will be done first, and a big move using one of Stastny or ROR to acquire a top defenseman will not happen until right before camp, or (as I believe to be more likely), at the deadline when ROR is available.

I completely agree with this with slight exception to the MacKinnon part. He was BPA.... I don't think they were looking at the #2C being a problem in the future.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Patrick Roy will fall in love with Ryan O'Reilly like any coach he has ever had. Simple. There was no "bias" from Sacco towards O'Reilly unless you believe every coach in his life has had a favorable bias towards him. When O'Reilly is doing 1000 situps in the video room while watching every shift of each game of his and Stastny is doing a disappearing act with little effort, Roy will change his tune quickly. I have no doubt about that.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I said this in another thread, but I'll say it here, too.

Even if ROR doesn't want to play Wing, I can't see him slacking off. His work ethic is so intense, he's going to give Wing 100% effort, even if it isn't his preferred position.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I said this in another thread, but I'll say it here, too.

Even if ROR doesn't want to play Wing, I can't see him slacking off. His work ethic is so intense, he's going to give Wing 100% effort, even if it isn't his preferred position.

This goes without saying. If a coach asks Ryan O'Reilly to do something, it gets done to the best of his capability. Not a half-assed effort or even the good ol' college try; a 101%, blood, sweat, and tears effort no matter the task. It doesn't negate the fact that his skillset is so much better used at center.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
Patrick Roy will fall in love with Ryan O'Reilly like any coach he has ever had. Simple. There was no "bias" from Sacco towards O'Reilly unless you believe every coach in his life has had a favorable bias towards him. When O'Reilly is doing 1000 situps in the video room while watching every shift of each game of his and Stastny is doing a disappearing act with little effort, Roy will change his tune quickly. I have no doubt about that.

Fact is that stasnty is available to be traded now and has no restraints to Colorado. Ror on the other hand is somewhat stuck here, under what is to some degree his own doing. That said, roy should have every intention to give stastny alot of ice time in order to either ask for a trade, or simply resign him. There is no doubt in my mind that keeping ror over staz is the better option, but since ror is here until at least feb, its in everyones best interest to try him on the first line, and give staz tons of ice time at the c position. Ror is in a "yes dear" position, so he better just go along with it. Itll pay off in the long run

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Selling Stastny a bit short here, wouldn't you think?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
This goes without saying. If a coach asks Ryan O'Reilly to do something, it gets done to the best of his capability. Not a half-assed effort or even the good ol' college try; a 101%, blood, sweat, and tears effort no matter the task. It doesn't negate the fact that his skillset is so much better used at center.

Agreed, but if Roy and Sakic aren't going to trade Staz, we'll need ROR on the Wing.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Selling Stastny a bit short here, wouldn't you think?

I'm speaking in facts.

Stastny has disappeared and shown little work ethic at a couple of points in his career, while O'Reilly has done no such thing. Contract stuff aside, of course. We can only talk about when they're actually there.

Duchene answered his questions. Stastny is going into year five of being completely content with his floundering situation.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I'm speaking in facts.

Stastny has disappeared and shown little work ethic at a couple of points in his career, while O'Reilly has done no such thing. Contract stuff aside, of course. We can only talk about when they're actually there.

Duchene answered his questions. Stastny is going into year five of being completely content with his floundering situation.

That's harsh. We don't know what's going on in his mind, how content he is. Maybe the black cloud named Sacco just sucked the life from him. Let's give him an opportunity to get his mojo back under Roy. If he does, he can still be traded at the deadline, for an ever better return.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
That's harsh. We don't know what's going on in his mind, how content he is. Maybe the black cloud named Sacco just sucked the life from him. Let's give him an opportunity to get his mojo back under Roy. If he does, he can still be traded at the deadline, for an ever better return.

Plus, Stastny was at Roy's press conference. This can only tell that he's happy Roy is our new coach and Roy saying he has no intention of trading him still tells that he believes in him.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Plus, Stastny was at Roy's press conference. This can only tell that he's happy Roy is our new coach and Roy saying he has no intention of trading him still tells that he believes in him.

...or Stastny was told to be there. Crazy thought; they wanted the longest-reigning Av (with Duke's uncertainty) and a current Assistant Captain to be at the press conference. A guy Joe played with.

Anyways, I sincerely believe Patrick doesn't want to trade him either and is very happy with our forward situation. None the less, if an upgrade can be achieved on D and it involves Staz(or O'Ry at the trade deadline), it'll be done. We only talk Staz now because O'Ry can't be traded yet, Duchene is going nowhere, and neither is MacK plus he was just drafted. Staz makes sense for a D upgrade.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
...or Stastny was told to be there. Crazy thought; they wanted the longest-reigning Av (with Duke's uncertainty) and a current Assistant Captain to be at the press conference. A guy Joe played with.

Anyways, I sincerely believe Patrick doesn't want to trade him either and is very happy with our forward situation. None the less, if an upgrade can be achieved on D and it involves Staz(or O'Ry at the trade deadline), it'll be done. We only talk Staz now because O'Ry can't be traded yet, Duchene is going nowhere, and neither is MacK plus he was just drafted. Staz makes sense for a D upgrade.

I hope to God that O'Reilly isn't traded.

I know that you won't tell us any more information, but I'm hoping that he is open/receptive to the idea of moving to the Wing and being on the 1st Line with Duchene.

If O'Reilly gets traded, then it will truly be a set-back to the franchise, because he brings the fire to this game.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Stastny at wing could work out really well for us with ROR as 3rd line center still getting 18 minutes a game because of special teams for all our centers.

I would be very comfortable with Staz on Duchy or Mack's LW and re-signing him at 6mil going forward.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
This next season will be Ryan's last contract year. He wants a big contract and he knows he's gotta earn it. I'm not worried about his attitude next season. He's one hell of a worker and I'm sure he's learned a thing or two about being pro after the last contract mess.

Trade deadline should be exciting if we still have Dutchy, Staz, ROR and Mack. More exciting if they're all healthy at that moment.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado

Crazy is right. I know you are O'Money's buddy but damn. No need to be so harsh on the compitetion. ROR has had one good year.

Maybe Stastny was excited to have a new coach and as a leader on the team saw it as his duty to be there to welcome the living legend that is the new head coach. He had plenty of lead time to make travel arraingments if he had been out of town but I'm pretty sure even in the offseason he lives here.

I still think both guys get moved at somepoint.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
As far as I'm concerned, any fan who wants to get rid of Stastny before we see what he can do under a new coach in a REAL SYSTEM!!!!!! has simply lost their mind. Stastny is still that guy he was his first few seasons and can be again. Its not because he switched from a wooden stick, it was the dick on the bench who didn't know how to use him.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Stastny on the right situation has 70+ point potential. I just hope that its with the Avs.

He'll eventually have to move to wing though when mack takes the no.1 or 2 C spot. Stas and o'reilly's futures with the avs depend on them eventually playing wing in some capacity.

A vet or upcoming guy will play 3c (like a malone or sgarbossa)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
O'Reilly won't be on the wing for an entire game, he'll be taking PK faceoffs no doubt.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Duchene close to 60% on faceoffs if O'Reilly is on his wing. No reason to not cheat like crazy if you have a guy like O'Reilly taking faceoffs if you're kicked out.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Crazy is right. I know you are O'Money's buddy but damn. No need to be so harsh on the compitetion. ROR has had one good year.

Maybe Stastny was excited to have a new coach and as a leader on the team saw it as his duty to be there to welcome the living legend that is the new head coach. He had plenty of lead time to make travel arraingments if he had been out of town but I'm pretty sure even in the offseason he lives here.

I still think both guys get moved at somepoint.

This is wrong.

He scored at a 56 point pace this year, and that was after sitting out.

When are fans going to realize that he's more than a 3rd line Center?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
As far as I'm concerned, any fan who wants to get rid of Stastny before we see what he can do under a new coach in a REAL SYSTEM!!!!!! has simply lost their mind. Stastny is still that guy he was his first few seasons and can be again. Its not because he switched from a wooden stick, it was the dick on the bench who didn't know how to use him.
And what happens if he had a great season? Do the Avs just lose him for nothing as he heads to UFA off a big year? I can't see the Avs wanted to pay him big money with three other young centers on the roster, and I can't see Stastny wanting to re-sign when it's clear those other guys are the future.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This is wrong.

He scored at a 56 point pace this year, and that was after sitting out.

When are fans going to realize that he's more than a 3rd line Center?

He is, but is he more than a #3C on this team moving forward? Duchene is obviously ahead, and if MacKinnon comes anywhere near his potential, he will be ahead as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad