Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I made it clear that those aren't "styles" in my view and am curious why you think those are.
You said they were methods, mystery box methods are consistent throughout JJ's movies and subverting expectations is consistent throughout RJ's movies. Those are their styles that they lean on. Not sure what you are really expecting from this discussion. You simply don't agree with my original point that the ST could potentially be affected by back and forth styles because you disagree with the premise. That's really where the discussion ends.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Why do you assume I can't feel the impact of what happened to Luke? It's not like I folded my arms became a grouch and refused to take in the movie.

Someone in this thread just mentioned that they love the whole thing with Luke while disliking the rest of the movie. That's not the most common opinion of people who dislike it, in my experience.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They created a new toy, it just happened to be naked 3PO lol. Even with a new character, it's still comes off lame. Like with Maz and Luke's sabre. JJ made Maz important simply because she had that sabre.

And I bet it won't be explained... Like how the hell did she get it?! It fell into "nothingness"!

This is why the mystery box approach can really backfire.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And I bet it won't be explained... Like how the hell did she get it?! It fell into "nothingness"!

She even says it's a good question, so you can't blame fans for being upset that there isn't a payoff on it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm sure RJ has done screenwriting seminars of his own. I wonder if he includes any of this person's scripts as examples of how to do it wrong.

There is also the issue of people equating "I don't like where they went" to "they did it wrong".

I get why people dislike TLJ but to claim the script had fundamental issues is bollocks. The script was fine, it is just people trying to ride the wave of the "I hate TLJ" cottage industry

Reactions: HanSolo and Tawnos

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I hope we get an explanation on that one, even if it's not totally necessary. I'd be content with it coming in outside sources.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
There is also the issue of people equating "I don't like where they went" to "they did it wrong".

I get why people dislike TLJ but to claim the script had fundamental issues is bollocks. The script was fine, it is just people trying to ride the wave of the "I hate TLJ" cottage industry

The script does have fundamental issues though if you want to still like it regardless that's fine but the film just does not hold up under scrutiny in a way even the prequel do.

IMO this was the worst movie in the Star Wars main line series even worse then Attack of the Clones which is bad in it's own right. After 2 viewings of TLJ I don't think I can ever watch it again it's just insultingly bad.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Listening to soundtracks today in a general ramp up of SW content for the next couple of weeks... started with TPM. I just have to say, even outside Duel of the Fates, it's so good. Very martial and Roman.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Listening to soundtracks today in a general ramp up of SW content for the next couple of weeks... started with TPM. I just have to say, even outside Duel of the Fates, it's so good. Very martial and Roman.
If there is one thing in Star Wars that everyone can universally agree on, it's that John Williams did amazing work.

Reactions: Tawnos

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We might be able to start some arguments by ranking them, if you really wanted to.
That would be tough. I just like appreciating what he did and how the music really enhanced the scenes that you watched. One of the reasons why I love the Mandalorian so much because its music does the same thing of enhancing what you are watching.

I know Duel of the Fates gets all the PT love, but Battle of the Heroes combined with what you saw with your eyes was a masterpiece.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That would be tough. I just like appreciating what he did and how the music really enhanced the scenes that you watched. One of the reasons why I love the Mandalorian so much because its music does the same thing of enhancing what you are watching.

I know Duel of the Fates gets all the PT love, but Battle of the Heroes combined with what you saw with your eyes was a masterpiece.

haha, yeah I was just kidding about ranking them. Totally unnecessary.

The Spotify playlist I'm listening to with the soundtracks includes TCW and Rebels... I'm curious to see how those stack up.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
haha, yeah I was just kidding about ranking them. Totally unnecessary.

The Spotify playlist I'm listening to with the soundtracks includes TCW and Rebels... I'm curious to see how those stack up.
We finally found something to really agree on and you just want to go and ruin it lol.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

There were a plethora of major script-related issues in TLJ.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The TLJ script felt like a first draft that no one critiqued.

It has structural issues and tonal issues. It's bloated, messy and too long. It has characters it doesn't know what to do with. It contradicts it's own themes. The un-clever attempts at "subverting exceptions" are reactionary and result in a story that spends most of its time spinning its wheels while going nowhere.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There were a plethora of major script-related issues in TLJ.

I disagree, let's hear what they were.

Now remember, I'm talking about fundamentals here, not stuff like the humour falling flat. The "your momma" joke isn't a fundamental flaw, it is a bad joke.

Fundamental issues are plot holes, not foreshadowing, pacing etc...

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You’ve read them already and are probably just going to reply back with “I’m just so over this Star Wars discussion” like you usually do
Oh man you got me.

There is a difference between interpretations of what the movie got right or wrong and a "fundamental" problem with the script.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I disagree, let's hear what they were.

Now remember, I'm talking about fundamentals here, not the humour falling flat. The "your momma" joke isn't a fundamental flaw, it is a bad joke.

Fundamental issues are plot holes, not foreshadowing, pacing etc...

The beginning sequence and chase has plenty of plot holes. Why does the FO allow Poe to get that close in the first place? Why doesn't the FO just send their fleet of fighters when they already took out the command section of the lead ship and the Resistance hanger? Holdo could've prevented the mutiny with actual communication, didn't even have to be to Poe, could've been to Poe's superior who then filtered the information down.

One of the themes that I didn't agree with, but Rian presented was Rose preventing Finn from his sacrifice to help the Resistance escape, but then Holdo sacrifices herself when a droid could've completed that task.

Force ghosts can shoot lightning now, so why don't the ghosts just gang up on Kylo and the other bad guys?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
See I don't see those as "fundamental" issues, honestly.
And now you see why that guy responded like he did.

When any plan relies on the enemy to act like an idiot, then it's a fundamental issue. There are fundamental issues in the PT and OT too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad