Movies: Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Seems like this is what happens when you (Disney) try to please everyone at once instead of having an idea and sticking with it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So what?

Why should their opinions not matter?

Frankly they have more credibility then alot of these "Independent Reviewers" the same people who trashed me and anyone else who liked TLJ as shills or idiots for last 2 years and called into question our being fans of Star Wars
Same thing happened to people that didn't like it. I'm clearly a misogynist or a racist because I think JJ and Rian have poorly written Rey and Finn.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Same thing happened to people that didn't like it. I'm clearly a misogynist or a racist because I think JJ and Rian have poorly written Rey and Finn.

Did you think TLJ was worse then Episodes I and II? Or the Ewok movies?

Because some of these independent reviewers were making absurd statements such as the Ewok one

No one not even those involved in the Ewok movies would take those claims seriously

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
From business perspective Disney is expecting a $175-185M opening in NA and a $400-425M opening worldwide

Many analysts outside of Disney are saying they expect higher ($200-205M opening in NA and a $450M opening worldwide) based on tracking of ticket sales , interest , etc

We shall see which turns out to be accurate (Could end up splitting difference on #'s)

Either way according to reports Disney and its investors are happy with projections and how they expect film to play out thru its release financially

Coming off Frozen 2 success Disney is riding a high to conclude what has been a dominant 2019 for them with yet another blockbuster release

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I dont expect everyone to like new trilogy or TLJ.

What I didn't like was being told how I was somehow not a Star Wars fan for enjoying the Disney films and saying that they rebuilt my interest in SW after the debacle that was prequels

Only ROTS was worthy of the Star Wars title and made me leave theater with smile on my face and happy

It really helped damper my love of SW with how awful Lucas handled prequels. Disney especially with TFA and Rogue One rebuild my love for SW

Also in end my nieces/nephew enjoy new movies and frankly that is enough to put smile on my face as well

Disney is not the worst thing to happen to SW franchise

George Lucas handling of prequel trilogy and Ewoks are easily far worse

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Because some of these independent reviewers were making absurd statements such as the Ewok one

No one not even those involved in the Ewok movies would take those claims seriously
I'm not making the argument that certain reviewers are better than others, another poster did that. You just have to find critics or reviewers that you trust or not pay attention to any of them. They become trash when they start to assign intentions to your opinions though, and that has happened on both sides.

We've had discussions on here about the PT and ST. For me, they just simply fail in different ways. The PT were poorly made, but had a good overall story, where as the ST are well-made, but a weaker story IMO. In a franchise/saga I value the story aspect more, which is why I prefer the PT. I can see why people would prefer the ST over the PT though. The absurdity for me though is when people put TLJ as the best or 2nd best, but to each their own.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Of course you also have reviews like this

People will either love it or not

Critics are being very negative about this one, a lot of the early impressions were from nobodies or "influencers" and even among them there were some very negative remarks. Almost everyone who read the leaks were very negative about it.

Doesn't mean no one will like it or that the movie won't make a ton of money our of the gate but trust me when I say this movie is likely to unite the fans in their hatred of Disney.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Critics are being very negative about this one. Almost everyone who read the leaks were very negative about it.

Doesn't mean no one will like it or that the movie won't make a ton of money our of the gate but trust me when I say this movie is likely to unite the fans in their hatred of Disney.
They either be united against Disney or just continue to blame each other.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They either be united against Disney or just continue to blame each other.

Most of the people who blame eachother for the state of Star Wars are idiots so let them continue being idiots. You don't have to be a bigot to dislike TLJ and diversity didn't ruin anything in TLJ (amongst other common stupid arguments)

I just think the opinions about RoS will be far more homogenous: super safe and unimaginative fan service that doesn't live up to anyone's expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedblue1223

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Critics are slaughtering this on twitter, JJ does it again.

Hopefully Disney cleans house and just resets everything.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I can see that

I am on opposite spectrum though where I roll my eyes with the Epsiode I/II and Ewok as better then TLJ nonsense or people who say watching Jar Jar Binks for 2 hours would have been better film
ANH and ESB are still the best for me. ROTJ and Rogue One are next.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
ANH and ESB are still the best for me. ROTJ and Rogue One are next.

To me

ESB , ANH , TFA and Rogue One are the best in series

Then there is drop off to ROTS , TLJ and ROTJ (Though Ewoks make this hard to enjoy)

Then another drop off for Solo

And then you find ATOC and TPM are bottom of barrel

Then you have the Ewok films which are rightfully faded into obscurity

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I have

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope

A very large gap

The Force Awakens is tied with The Last Jedi

A gap

All the other ones, I won't rank them.

Return of the Jedi was my favourite one as a kid but I failed to get through it when I watched again in my 20's. It really is Prequel level awful outside of the final act IMO.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It was final act that was problem for me

The f***ing Ewoks defeating Empire troops just always makes me shake my head not to mention some of the stupid stuff

My rankings based on a 4 star criteria

ESB = ****
ANH = ***1/2
Rogue One = ***1/2
TFA = ***
ROTS = ***
TLJ = **1/2
ROTJ = **1/2
Solo = **
TPM = *
AOTC = 1/2 (Yep its that bad)

Just cant watch TPM or AOTC at this point

One thing I must say about prequels is how much I absolutely hate the amount of green screen , etc that Lucas used in those films it makes many scenes look dated and obviously fake as the technology has not aged well. Add in the god awful dialogue and some piss poor acting from some of the leads and they are unwatchable

Overall Disney reboot has done alot to make me forget episodes 1-2. ROTS was exception with prequels. If only the other two would have been as good

Reactions: bleedblue1223

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Honestly after I see it on Saturday I hope I can just have a reasonable discussion about the movie without hyperbole.

I am hoping for an entertaining Star Wars movie (nothing deep, just space battles and lightsabers and an emotional climax), and if i can get that then I am fine with this trilogy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, Return of the Jedi had some amazing moments, but the ewoks were dumb in the sense that Lucas also made them warriors and that just wasn't believable at all. I'm fine if he wanted to make a cute creature for kids to enjoy and to sell toys, but if you want believable warriors, use wookies or some species like that. Some of the traps they put together are just impossible for what ewoks should be capable of, and it took stormtrooper ineptitude to the next level. The amazing moments for me still way outweigh the negatives.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Anyone that wants to describe Star Wars as horny, is someone I won't pay attention to.

I was taken aback by that, too. I have no clue what he meant by that... and that was seemingly a positive comment. I'm not sure that "horny" is one of the adjective that they wanted used to describe their family friendly film.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Hey! Let's leave the Ewoks out of this.
Then you have the Ewok films which are rightfully faded into obscurity

Leave the Ewoks alone!

You're not a true Star Wars fan if you don't like Ewoks :sarcasm:.

Seriously, it's not really fair to compare the Ewok movies to the rest of the movies because they were made for TV and for kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->