Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Yikes.

Beyond was terrible.

1. Who didn’t see Idris Alba coming?

2. Beastie Boys music waves destroy the bad guys?

3. Simon Pegg writes a script where the engineer saves the day and gets the girl?

4. Let’s use this motor bike for some wicked stunts.

Yeeesh. Amazed you think it’s the best one. Each one is worse than the one before it.

Compared to Into Darkness its a lot better. Its not that great but Into Darkness made me want to gag when I watched it. That's easily the worst of the JJ verse films.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Compared to Into Darkness its a lot better. Its not that great but Into Darkness made me want to gag when I watched it. That's easily the worst of the JJ verse films.

As I said earlier, I must be in the minority.

I thought the terrorist sequence in Into Darkness was pretty cool, the interaction between Spock and Kirk was neat, Khan was kind of funky.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
the problem I have is a slight one and it is just me cause I am an old school trek fan--for me they are creating so many "New conflicts" one must ask in some of these situations why they were never mentioned before in any of the other series or movies? Seems to me there are a few things that would have been mentioned before

Say what you like about J J Abrahms--but at least some of the stuff he sneaked in--if you are a old school trek fan like me--you realise--oh yeah that happened

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So according to the trailer, the premise of season two is: Some red bursts appear in space. Starfeet needs the Discovery to investigate so they have Pike take command. The red bursts end up being some how linked to Spock.

Kurtzman said the point of season 1 was to get the Enterprise into the show. Is the point of season 2 to get Spock in the show?

Either way it sounds pretty dumb. The Star Trek universe just keeps feeling smaller and smaller.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So according to the trailer, the premise of season two is: Some red bursts appear in space. Starfeet needs the Discovery to investigate so they have Pike take command. The red bursts end up being some how linked to Spock.

Kurtzman said the point of season 1 was to get the Enterprise into the show. Is the point of season 2 to get Spock in the show?

Either way it sounds pretty dumb. The Star Trek universe just keeps feeling smaller and smaller.

Plot twist: the red bursts are causing Vulcans to undergo some sort of mutation. Spock is trying to protect them from it. It turns out that it's turning them into the Mintakans from that one TNG episode, and Spock ends up being absorbed into their cultural beliefs as their god before forgetting about him and eventually replacing him with Picard.

Also Spock was a changeling all along.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Plot twist: the red bursts are causing Vulcans to undergo some sort of mutation. Spock is trying to protect them from it. It turns out that it's turning them into the Mintakans from that one TNG episode, and Spock ends up being absorbed into their cultural beliefs as their god before forgetting about him and eventually replacing him with Picard.

Also Spock was a changeling all along.
This seems like a plausible Kurtzman plot except the Mintakan part. You need a more recognizable reference that someone who doesn't like or watch Star Trek would have heard.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This seems like a plausible Kurtzman plot except the Mintakan part. You need a more recognizable reference that someone who doesn't like or watch Star Trek would have heard.

You're right. How silly of me.

The Vulcans are obviously mutating into the origins of the Borg. It totally makes sense because the Borg are cold and logical to a fault, just like Spock.

Reactions: Blender

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

I really don't want to see another different actor portray Spock.

Newsflash to Kurtzman and CBS. No one really cares that Spock is going to be in this. Just leave it alone.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I really don't want to see another different actor portray Spock.

Newsflash to Kurtzman and CBS. No one really cares that Spock is going to be in this. Just leave it alone.

You just don't understand @johnjm22, the spreadsheets the studio is working off of say general audiences know who Spock is and getting him in here might draw them in. Who cares about quality story or writing, the more references that are known in popular culture the better!

Reactions: NyQuil

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
there is a fan theory among some trekkies that Discovery will be used to help undo the what the reboot movies have done

That seems pointless. The movies haven't really 'done' anything because it's all a parallel timeline/alternate universe. They didn't make it so that the prime Trek reality no longer exists. Nothing would stop them from simply going back to that version of reality and ignoring the Abrams movies if they wanted to.

And at worst if that is what they're trying to do for some reason, they're doing a piss-poor job of it.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That seems pointless. The movies haven't really 'done' anything because it's all a parallel timeline/alternate universe. They didn't make it so that the prime Trek reality no longer exists. Nothing would stop them from simply going back to that version of reality and ignoring the Abrams movies if they wanted to.

And at worst if that is what they're trying to do for some reason, they're doing a piss-poor job of it.
It would be entirely pointless and makes no sense. If anything, they should be using season 2 to undo the clusterf*** that was season 1.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It would be entirely pointless and makes no sense. If anything, they should be using season 2 to undo the cluster**** that was season 1.

But if they undo season 1 how can they set up that it turns out Burnham and Tyler are K'Ethlyr's parents and make Alexander into some sort of messiah?

Reactions: Blender

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Star Trek: Discovery brings Spock aboard, and more revelations from Comic-Con 2018

"We're synching up with canon this year," Kurtzman added.
What a great way to write a show. Write a bunch of stuff that makes no sense with canon, then spend the next season explaining how it is canon.

Wilson Cruz, the actor who plays Dr. Hugh Culber on the show, confirmed he'd be back, but didn't specify how. Culber's character was killed off in the first season. "Gay love saved the universe," he said.

Will Captain Gabriel Lorca be back? "Maybe," Kurtzman said.
Of course they'll be back! This show has no sense of realism. No discipline. Since everything is magic you can always bring someone back from the dead which means when a character is in danger there's no real stakes.

Mary Chieffo's L'Rell character is still in charge of the Klingon Empire, although she's struggling to lead in a patriarchal society.
I thought it was established in TNG-era females couldn't lead the empire?

L'Rell and Ash Tyler will have some complex conversations about their unorthodox relationship.
How can you not be excited about that!? I bet alot of people are looking forward to this. I'm sure the dialog will be really well written. It won't be stiff or too on-the-nose I'm sure.

Reactions: redbeardtx

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
That trailer was trash. Not only was its tone all over the place, but they outright stole a joke from the Orville (the elevator joke).

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
The most entertaining thing about this thread is that everyone is so upset but I know you all will be watching the premiere of S02 lol. I cant wait to come back to this thread for the analysis of S02E01 :D

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The most entertaining thing about this thread is that everyone is so upset but I know you all will be watching the premiere of S02 lol. I cant wait to come back to this thread for the analysis of S02E01 :D
I'm a Star Trek fan, of course I'm going to give it a chance. I won't be sticking with it forever though, at some point if it's obvious it's going to stay bad I'll check out.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'll stuck around for season 2 because Pike intrigues me (maybe they would've done better if they bumped things up and had Pike take command of the Discovery as he was handing off the Enterprise to Kirk and make the whole show revolve around him getting used to a new ship and crew that also has to get used to him because he's an outsider. Kind of like the shipboard segments of Chains of Command but without Pike being an asshole like Jellico) But I'm fully prepared to pull the chute this season if it starts to wear on my like season 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad