Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - Topic II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
ethan_peck_spock_split.jpg

I thought that he at least looked like Spock until I saw them side by side. I'm really struck by how unique Nimoy's face was. It was long and had a double chin, a big nose and very unique shaping around the nostrils. Good luck finding a Nimoy look-alike in Hollywood nowadays, when most actors, like Quinto and this Peck, look like models (because they also are ones on the side). This is probably the closest that you can realistically get, though.

It's interesting to learn that he's Gregory Peck's grandson. I can see it in the eyes and eyebrows (which, amusingly, will have to be gone for this role).

my problem is the Borg are reportedly coming

I warned you. Actually, I predicted that they'd appear in the Picard-based series, but this is close enough. There's no way that Kurtzman was going to leave well enough alone.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Peck really does look like a young version of his granddad. Now, the kicker is, we'll see if he can even come close to his dad in terms of acting, which I'm doubting right now.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Peck really does look like a young version of his granddad. Now, the kicker is, we'll see if he can even come close to his dad in terms of acting, which I'm doubting right now.

It probably goes without saying that he's not the quality of actor that his granddad was (then again, anything is better than Martin-Green's acting). I think that what one can be hopeful about, though, is that his manner of acting is similar. Gregory Peck had a very stoic acting style that was similar to Nimoy's. For example, he didn't walk around and use arm gestures and facial expressions to add flourish to the delivery of his lines nearly as much as, say, Jimmy Stewart did. If Ethan grew up modeling his acting style after his granddad, he might be a good fit to play Spock.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It probably goes without saying that he's not the quality of actor that his granddad was (then again, anything is better than Martin-Green's acting). I think that what one can be hopeful about, though, is that his manner of acting is similar. Gregory Peck had a very stoic acting style that was similar to Nimoy's. For example, he didn't walk around and use arm gestures and facial expressions to add flourish to the delivery of his lines nearly as much as, say, Jimmy Stewart did. If Ethan grew up modeling his acting style after his granddad, he might be a good fit to play Spock.

Jimmy Stewart was one of a kind. Won't find anyone else like him before, contemporarily, or after. And likely never will either.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
7 seasons of DS9 and not one Borg. The closest we got was a reference to them when Sisko was given command of the Defiant.

Voyager f***ing butchered the Borg.

Enterprise managed to treat the Borg with some respect in a very short stint.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
7 seasons of DS9 and not one Borg. The closest we got was a reference to them when Sisko was given command of the Defiant.

Voyager ****ing butchered the Borg.

Enterprise introducing the Borg at all was profoundly stupid because TNG very clearly established that Q was the one that introduced the Enterprise and Federation to the Borg for the first time. So the Enterprise series had to tip-toe around any direct referencing of them as the Borg or anything that would identify them as the borg in a way that would make you think "hey, shouldn't Picard have noted some stories from the past about Capt. Archer encountering some cyborg beings just like this before? Huh. That's weird."

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Borg were in the very first episode Emissary.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

Wait, the very first episode featured the Borg. Ok, it was Wolf 359 and Locutus, but that was Borg.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is from last week, but it hasn't been posted yet and I only just now learned of it.

CBS is getting sued by that indie video game developer that they seemingly plagiarized from.

anas-tronaut.blogspot.com said:
I wanted to keep you updated regarding the Tardigrades and Star Trek Discovery post from October 18th 2017. First of all, I want to thank everyone who posted videos, articles and even talked about the issue in their social media. The last 10 months were so hard on me and the development of the project. I tried every possible way to have a respectful and reasonable discussion with CBS but they treated me in disrespect and just dangled me around with postponing meetings due to their vacations and being busy. The first conversation turned into the last one. I gave them a lot of time to make things right. Unfortunately, I found myself at a dead end with them, and so I had to enforce my rights by filing a lawsuit to treat me seriously.
anastronaut: Tardigrades Case

(The video should start at the point where the lawsuit section starts. Reset it to the beginning if you want to also hear about Paramount's problems with money and casting Star Trek 4)

Last edited:
Reactions: Moon Man

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
How bad of a writer do you have to be to have plagarize ideas from some no body in the gaming industry. Given how absolutley esoteric this is, I can't imagine the 'It's a coincidence' is going to fly.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
How bad of a writer do you have to be to have plagarize ideas from some no body in the gaming industry. Given how absolutley esoteric this is, I can't imagine the 'It's a coincidence' is going to fly.

the thing is the keys to the case will be rumbled by the fact that there have been books with same themes and hooks. Dune, Heinlein and Asminov have also used the trick for travel--so that will be a problem

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
the thing is the keys to the case will be rumbled by the fact that there have been books with same themes and hooks. Dune, Heinlein and Asminov have also used the trick for travel--so that will be a problem

I don't believe that any of those other sci-fi works have used a bear-sized tardigrade that can live in the vacuum of space to facilitate the travel (and, if they had, the game developer would be the one under fire). It's those details that make the case, since it's hard to believe that two people would come up with all of those same details independently. Even if that can be brushed off as coincidence, though, there are also similarities in the characters. Add it all up and that's a lot of supposed coincidence.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I don't believe that any of those other sci-fi works have used a bear-sized tardigrade that can live in the vacuum of space to facilitate the travel (and, if they had, it's the game developer who probably would've been sued by now). It's those details that make the case, since it's hard to believe that two people would come up with all of those same details independently. Even if you do brush it off as coincidence, there are similarities in the characters that, by themselves, could also be coincidence, but add them up and that would have to be a whole lot of coincidence.

have you read Asminov, Clark, Heinlein or Gibson? What hurts the case is Dune-I assume you've read Dune and know the two chapters I am talking about--as described in Discovery they have been several books written about time travel that have used organic or animal to be the core of the device

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
have you read Asminov, Clark, Heinlein or Gibson? What hurts the case is Dune-I assume you've read Dune and know the two chapters I am talking about--as described in Discovery they have been several books written about time travel that have used organic or animal to be the core of the device

You just repeated what you said before. My answer is, thus, the same as before.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Just ask yourself how many people in this world have thought of bear sized tardigrades (how many people know what tardigrades even are) that allow you travel through space at insane speeds and distance.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Star Trek does not to be tethered to TOS to be good (or TNG for that matter). I don't know why they keep doing it.

The three best ST series stood on their own (TOS, TNG, DS9 [acknowledging Worf overlap but was still a mostly independent story]). Voyager and Enterprise didn't suck because the stories weren't sufficiently tied to TOS or TNG/DS9, they suck because they had godawful casts and some awful storylines.

Just... put a ship in space, populate it with interesting people, and have them explore. It isn't complicated.

Reactions: NyQuil and johnjm22

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Star Trek does not to be tethered to TOS to be good (or TNG for that matter). I don't know why they keep doing it.

The three best ST series stood on their own (TOS, TNG, DS9 [acknowledging Worf overlap but was still a mostly independent story]). Voyager and Enterprise didn't suck because the stories weren't sufficiently tied to TOS or TNG/DS9, they suck because they had godawful casts and some awful storylines.

Just... put a ship in space, populate it with interesting people, and have them explore. It isn't complicated.
Most franchises have gone this way now. It's all about nostalgia and shallow fan service these days.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The short was worse than a I thought it would be, and not because of Tilly as she was fine.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Well that sucked.

Very juvenile. The attempts at humor were pathetic.

Are they writing this for preteens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad