Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - Topic II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Why would Spock be in command, he was like 3rd or 4th in the chain of command in The Cage.

Yeah, why would Spock be made Acting Captain over Pike's first officer (played in The Cage by Majel Barrett)? Are you suggesting, Cloned, that, even in the 23rd century, women are not fit to be captains? ;)

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Yeah, why would Spock be made Acting Captain over Pike's first officer (played in The Cage by Majel Barrett)? Are you suggesting, Cloned, that, even in the 23rd century, women are not fit to be captains? ;)

Of course they're not, that's why the Federation created the role of ships Councillor and tacked another chair on the bridge?

So she can babble on about feelings and the Captain can totally ignore her.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Of course they're not, that's why the Federation created the role of ships Councillor and tacked another chair on the bridge?

So she can babble on about feelings and the Captain can totally ignore her.

That's true. Also, Burnham is perhaps excluded from such discrimination because her first name is Michael. To receive proper recognition and respect in a man's world, it must help to have a man's name.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I feel like maybe I'm being too harsh, but I feel like this is now an overreaction to the complaints of the segment of the Trek fanbase that's been unhappy with how un-Trek the first season felt like. Now we're going whole hog to the opposite end of the spectrum and cramming in as much nostalgic Trek fanservice in as we can to appeal to the hardcore nerds whose chief complaint was that the show seemed at times ashamed of its heritage. Look it's the Enterprise! And Captain Pike will be there! And Spock too! OUR SHOW HAS EVERYTHING YOU LOVE ABOUT OLD TREK ON IT NOW SO THAT MEANS YOU LOVE OUR SHOW, RIGHT?!?!
Having the Enterprise show up was the plan all along. By extension I think we can assume appearences by Pike/Spock were as well. So I don't think it's reactionary, I just think it's stupid.

I also think that this show has been filled with fan service already. That's one of the many problems with it so far.

There's been complaints about the show being un Trek-like (and justifiably so), but the majority of complaining I've seen from fans has just been that the show sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I cringe every time that this thread is bumped.
Haha. It's almost always bad news isn't it? I was going to bump this thread a few days with the Spock news, but didn't have the heart for it.

That's true. Also, Burnham is perhaps excluded from such discrimination because her first name is Michael. To receive proper recognition and respect in a man's world, it must help to have a man's name.
STAR TREK DISCOVERY: THE FUTURE IS DEFINITELY FEMALE - Vulture Festival - NYC
From the article:
Join Star Trek Discovery cast members Sonequa Martin-Green, Mary Chieffo, Mary Wiseman, Michelle Yeoh, and executive producer Gretchen J. Berg as they reveal the secrets to their distinctly female-forward mission on their CBS All Access series, Star Trek: Discovery.

Yes, that's right. It's not a human-forward mission. It's a female-forward mission. Finally we have real equality.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
You know what I hate. How small the Star Trek universe feels now. Everything has to do with the Enterprise, or Spock or something like that. Going into the series I was really hoping they would focus more on other aspects of the franchise, not just Kirk and Spock. Give me Cardassians, give me romulans, actually go back to basics and "explore strange new worlds". I'm starting to worry that Discovery season 2 is turning into a fanwank, kinda like Enterprise season 4.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Maybe it's the Klingons again. If they can't be bothered to adhere to how Klingons have looked for the last 30 years, why bother to adhere to how they've looked for the last year? I jest.

Seriously, since it appears to have lizard-like scales, my best guess is that it's a re-imagining of the Gorn, that lizard species that Kirk fights in that one episode. Since the writers seem to want to lift everything that they can from TOS (like Mudd and Klingon-to-Human transfiguration), that seems like just the kind of thing that they would do. I think that I might actually welcome it being the Gorn, though, since it'd be a more menacing villain than Mudd and alternate Georgiou, it's a species that we know the Federation encountered around this point in the timeline, it's one that we know almost nothing about and it's one that could really use a re-imagined look. Of course, because I wouldn't mind that, it'll probably end up being re-imagined Cardassians or something else anger-inducing, instead.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So it looks like the Enterprise crew will be wearing a style of uniform closer to their original? Strange that the rest of Starfleet wears these blue jump suits.

Maybe it's the Klingons again. If they can't be bothered to adhere to how Klingons have looked for the last 30 years, why bother to adhere to how they've looked for the last year? I jest.

Seriously, since it appears to have lizard-like scales, my best guess is that it's a re-imagining of the Gorn, that lizard species that Kirk fights in that one episode. Since the writers seem to want to lift everything that they can from TOS (like Mudd and Klingon-to-Human transfiguration), that seems like just the kind of thing that they would do. I think that I might actually welcome it being the Gorn, though, since it'd be a more menacing villain than Mudd and alternate Georgiou, it's a species that we know the Federation encountered around this point in the timeline, it's one that we know almost nothing about and it's one that could really use a re-imagined look. Of course, because I wouldn't mind that, it'll probably end up being re-imagined Cardassians or something else anger-inducing, instead.
It's obviously the Hirogen.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
So it looks like the Enterprise crew will be wearing a style of uniform closer to their original? Strange that the rest of Starfleet wears these blue jump suits.

It's obviously the Hirogen.

I wouldn't mind if it was the Hirogen, honestly. That would mean the writers of the current state of trek do care about what came after the original. It feels like they really don't.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if they're going to bust out Khan in season 2. That would be new low for the bums making this show.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I wouldn't mind if it was the Hirogen, honestly. That would mean the writers of the current state of trek do care about what came after the original. It feels like they really don't.

except that they would be going about it in the worst possible way by picking a Delta Quadrant race that nobody in starfleet meets for another century and a half.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'll start watching it when it comes back, but it's not like I'm desperate for it to come back. If season 2 isn't good, I'll check out after a few episodes as well.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'll start watching it when it comes back, but it's not like I'm desperate for it to come back. If season 2 isn't good, I'll check out after a few episodes as well.

You must know your enemy to defeat him. You must also watch what is being done to your favorite franchise so that you can effectively gripe about it. I end up feeling better by watching and venting than not watching and bottling the frustration up. It's therapeutic :thumbu:.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You must know your enemy to defeat him. You must also watch what is being done to your favorite franchise so that you can effectively gripe about it. I end up feeling better by watching and venting than not watching and bottling the frustration up. It's therapeutic :thumbu:.
I have little interest in watching the corpse of Star Trek getting further beaten.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Being a fan of Star Trek these days is like being a fan of the Cleveland Browns or the Buffalo Sabres. You follow all the moves behind the scenes as a form of entertainment, you analyze/criticize/discuss it for fun, but you don't expect the actual product to be good any time soon.

Watching STD season one was like watching your 1st overall pick in the draft go bust. Discovery is our Alexander Daigle.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kurtzman is a talentless hack. You wonder how he keeps getting work. He seems to be well connected.

I'm not sure how to take this news. It's hard to imagine this show could be any worse than it already is.

Trying to look on the birght side, there may be a few positives. Perhaps with less cooks in the kitchen the show will be more focused instead of a mishmash like season 1. Also, Akiva Goldsman is gone which is great news. He's worse than Kurtzman if you can imagine that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad