Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - Topic II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well that sucked.

Very juvenile. The attempts at humor were pathetic.

Are they writing this for preteens?
So many plot holes as well, and the magic long range transporter from Into Darkness made an appearance.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So many plot holes as well, and the magic long range transporter from Into Darkness made an appearance.
Alex Kurtzman is credited as a writer on this short so we shouldn't be surprised.

Discovery and much of the Kelvinverse films have no sense of grounding.

Also, I'm very annoyed by the overuse of Discovery's on-the-nose computer dialog. The show is so poorly done they have to use it for exposition.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Alex Kurtzman is credited as a writer on this short so we shouldn't be surprised.

Discovery and much of the Kelvinverse films have no sense of grounding.

Also, I'm very annoyed by the overuse of Discovery's on-the-nose computer dialog. The show is so poorly done they have to use it for exposition.
That short was what, 15 minutes of actual content? I think about 13 minutes was exposition.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The best thing about this was seeing the ship in the opening sequence. I missed not having those ship fly by shots in Discovery season 1.

The CGI still looks cheap though. Far from being realistic.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
"Video not available"

tenor.gif

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I actually think there's some good stuff in the trailer.

I just really dislike the premise being about Spock. The red angel thing seems too fantasy based as opposed to science fiction. Also not happy that Michelle Yeoh and her terrible wooden acting is back.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I actually think there's some good stuff in the trailer.

I just really dislike the premise being about Spock. The red angel thing seems too fantasy based as opposed to science fiction. Also not happy that Michelle Yeoh and her terrible wooden acting is back.
I actually facepalmed when I saw her back. I hated her character, the evil version especially. I don't love that there is more focus on the "Klingons" either, as I thought that was one of the weakest aspects of season 1.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
dsc-nycc18-01-428x640.jpg

Go home, Discovery. You're drunk.

Not only does he have a beard, but they traded out the traditional Vulcan bowl job for a ****ing Bieber cut.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You know what's funny? There's a pic (I assume from the trailer, I haven't actually watched it) of Number One (aka Pike's first officer from The Cage, played here by Rebecca Romijn) stepping off the transporter pad.

dsc-nycc18-10-640x428.jpg

She looks right enough, classic TOS uniform variant, familiar(ish) fanservice reference of a character but one without enough baggage to really throw things off the rails if they want to branch out and explore without slavish canon devotion.

Why couldn't we have had that Star Trek? I even don't mind the Anson Mount version of Pike (though I prefer Bruce Greenwood, he has a different show to do and that ship already sailed with the Abramsverse). Give us a 5-season run of a pre-Kirk Enterprise with a completley different crew. Save Spock for the hypothetical 5th season so he can be the newbie for a year before rising up to become Kirk's first officer when the handover occurs at series end. Finish the series off with a retelling of The Cage just before the finale.

Boom. Good, proper, entertaining Star Trek without the unlikeable Discovery characters and their weird kinda-canon-violating nonsense plots.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I get an Ashton Kutcher vibe, myself.

ashton-kutcher-2.jpg

You're right. That's better.

Maybe it's a sign that this is all an elaborate prank and when we tune in to the first episode and Ashton-Spock shows up, he'll scream "you just got punk'd!" and after everyone has a laugh we'll get the real Star Trek show that we actually deserve as a payoff for this year of utter nonsense.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Maybe it's a sign that this is all an elaborate prank and when we tune in to the first episode and Ashton-Spock shows up, he'll scream "you just got punk'd!" and after everyone has a laugh we'll get the real Star Trek show that we actually deserve as a payoff for this year of utter nonsense.

I was initially hesitant to be too critical of the beard because I didn't want to look like an fool for over-reacting if it ends up that he shaves it off early on. I wouldn't put it past the producers to show only bearded Spock in the trailer, even if it's the only scene in which he has it, partly to generate buzz for the season and partly to punk their critics for rushing to judgment. That promo shot that you posted supports the fear that it's the character's permanent look, though.

I see this as driven by the same motive that gave us bald Klingons. They want to re-use the familiar, but put their own twist on it to make it their own, even if it bothers some fans. Besides doing it for selfish reasons and because they can, I wonder if there's also pressure to make the familiar elements just different enough that there's no confusion over who owns the images. After all, the beard definitely differentiates him from every other version of Spock, and the new Klingons look similarly distinct, so it would be clear which rights holders were ripped off if we should see them elsewhere (ex. if the folks selling TOS or Abramsverse toys were to sell a toy of a bearded Spock, trying to cash in on Discovery).

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I was initially hesitant to be too critical of the beard because I didn't want to look like an fool for over-reacting if it ends up that he shaves it off early on. I wouldn't put it past the producers to show only bearded Spock in the trailer, even if it's the only scene in which he has it, partly to generate buzz for the season and partly to punk their critics for rushing to judgment. That promo shot that you posted supports the fear that it's the character's permanent look, though.

I see this as driven by the same motive that gave us bald Klingons. They want to re-use the familiar, but put their own twist on it to make it their own, even if it bothers some fans. Besides doing it for selfish reasons and because they can, I wonder if there's also pressure to make the familiar elements just different enough that there's no confusion over who owns the images. After all, the beard definitely differentiates him from every other version of Spock, and the new Klingons look similarly distinct, so it would be clear which rights holders were ripped off if we should see them elsewhere (ex. if the folks selling TOS or Abramsverse toys were to sell a toy of a bearded Spock, trying to cash in on Discovery).

I don't think there would be that kind of rights kerfuffle. Paramount owns everything, or at least everything outright that's not Abramsverse. I don't think there's any sort of rights or branding thing at play. I think it's just a case of stuffy auteur creators who think that they can "put their own spin" and "improve" on classic stuff. Which would be all well and good if this wasn't Star Trek with 50 years of history and iconic status behind it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't think there would be that kind of rights kerfuffle. Paramount owns everything, or at least everything outright that's not Abramsverse. I don't think there's any sort of rights or branding thing at play. I think it's just a case of stuffy auteur creators who think that they can "put their own spin" and "improve" on classic stuff. Which would be all well and good if this wasn't Star Trek with 50 years of history and iconic status behind it.

I got the notion about image rights from one of the videos posted earlier in the thread (or, maybe, it was in the "All-Encompassing Star Trek" thread). According to that, the folks who own the rights to make TOS toys can't make toys that resemble the Abrams film versions of the characters and vice versa. You wouldn't think that a franchise would be fragmented like that, but it apparently is to some degree. It may not have any bearing on this issue, but I thought that I'd throw it out there. I agree that Kurtzman and crew definitely want to put their on spin on the character for their own purposes, regardless.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
At least we're getting Klingons with hair, which was one of my biggest gripes. I don't like this whole spiel about in-lore reason as to why they didn't have any in S1, which was they shave their head in times of war.

Ummmmmm

Multiple Klingon Civil wars
Multiple Klingon-Starfleet wars
Klingon-Romulan war
Klingon-Cardassians war
The f***ing DOMINION war!

Except for 1 of these, which was in S1 of STD, they have never shaved their heads in times of war.

Now if you want to say "Traditions change", ok fine, however you have the actor who plays the one Klingon saying that they shaved their heads in times of war because Khaless took a lock of his hair to make the sword of Khaless, and thus it is a way of hi onouring him or that event.

Ummmmm

Only the Klingon Priesthood knew of the tale of Khaless making the sword of Khaless out of his own hair. This was well established in the well known and well regarded TNG episode, Rightful Heir.

f*** STD

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I got the notion about image rights from one of the videos posted earlier in the thread (or, maybe, it was in the "All-Encompassing Star Trek" thread). According to that, the folks who own the rights to make TOS toys can't make toys that resemble the Abrams film versions of the characters and vice versa. You wouldn't think that a franchise would be fragmented like that, but it apparently is to some degree. It may not have any bearing on this issue, but I thought that I'd throw it out there. I agree that Kurtzman and crew definitely want to put their on spin on the character for their own purposes, regardless.
I'm pretty sure Star Trek as a franchise is fractured. CBS controls the television property, and Paramount the movie property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad