Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - Topic II

Status
Not open for further replies.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
To be honest, I'm more excited about The Orville coming back than I am about Discovery. That show was doomed from the start.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Hey, I'm not upset! :)

Neither am I. I loved the trailer, Kravitz and all. It's not like the song is going to be in the series unless they pull a Beyond or something. It was to pull in the general crowd.

Also I was really skeptical about season 1 but I rewatched it last week and liked it a lot better. Didn't really like the finale though.

I also need to do an Orville rewatch eventually.

Reactions: Cloned

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Star Trek: Discovery's Spock Will Be Very Different From the Version You Know | TV Guide

Spock is definitely headed to Star Trek: Discovery in Season 2 but he won't be the cool-headed Vulcan you know from the original Star Trek series.

Kurtzman told TV Guide. "What I'm so excited about is that we have an opportunity to present a version of Spock that's both totally consistent with the Spock everyone knows but very, very different. And it's all gonna tie to how we sync up with canon."

"Consistent with the Spock everyone knows but very, very different." This statement seems to contradict itself.

I think we're getting emo, hot headed, shoot-first-ask-questions-later Spock.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
They know that most people absolutely hated the show and thought season one was badly written badly acted crap.

So what they're going to do is slowly replace the Discovery Crew with the classic enterprise crew. They'll pick up Scotty on the way, and Bones, and Rand, and Checkov and Sulu, leaving Kirk til last.

The next thing you know we'll see occasional cameo's from the Discovery crew who are now background characters working in the mess. Oh sure they'll get the occasional Whoopi Goldberg type of cameo, where Burnham cuts space carrots and dispenses some wisdom. Or that android chick will open a can of space pineapples with her teeth.

Then the season ender will have some big battle and they Discovery will be chewed up, and Pike will be forced to abandon ship with his core crew, while leaving the rest behind and he will retake command of the Enterprise.

Then before season 3 they'll change the name of their show to Star Trek the early years.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Neither am I. I loved the trailer, Kravitz and all. It's not like the song is going to be in the series unless they pull a Beyond or something. It was to pull in the general crowd.

Also I was really skeptical about season 1 but I rewatched it last week and liked it a lot better. Didn't really like the finale though.

I also need to do an Orville rewatch eventually.

I agree. it wasn't a blockbuster start to the series but it really didn't feel to me as bad as some believe.

Orville is pretty good! the humor becomes a bit rehashed due to the same types of delivery but overall its pretty decent.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
"Consistent with the Spock everyone knows but very, very different." This statement seems to contradict itself.

We're not just going to get an emotional, conflicted, impulsive Spock. Guess who is going to be responsible for showing him the Vulcan ways and turning him into the logical character that we all know and love? Yep, it'll be the adopted human sister that he never had until now. Kurtzman will be like, "Burnham made Spock into the Spock that you love. You have to like her now, right?"

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I agree. it wasn't a blockbuster start to the series but it really didn't feel to me as bad as some believe.

Orville is pretty good! the humor becomes a bit rehashed due to the same types of delivery but overall its pretty decent.

Hey man, can you open that jar of pickles for me?

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
We're not just going to get an emotional, conflicted, impulsive Spock. Guess who is going to be responsible for showing him the Vulcan ways and turning him into the logical character that we all know and love? Yep, it'll be the adopted human sister that he never had until now. Kurtzman will be like, "Burnham made Spock into the Spock that you love. You have to like her now, right?"

Oh good god

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Spock is going to face a high stakes decision. He'll have to choose between an emotional reasoning and a logical reasoning. His choice will cost Burnham her life.

That seems like the most obvious thing to do from a writing perspective.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Spock is going to face a high stakes decision. He'll have to choose between an emotional reasoning and a logical reasoning. His choice will cost Burnham her life.

Will Spock also have a best friend who's a talking pie?:sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I doubt they're going to kill Burnham off.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I doubt they're going to kill Burnham off.

Maybe they'll kill her off and then engage in some time travel/parallel universe shenanigans to bring her back, except this version will be dark and emotionally tortured so they can wring another season out of her trying to reconnect to a universe she doesn't understand while the broken, sharp edges of her mind threaten to tear her apart unless she re-learns how to be a proper Vulcan from the Spock that the other her taught to be a proper Vulcan.

And also she's a Q messiah for some reason. But also Trelane's illegitimate half-sister. and Charlie X's aunt.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Seriously, can these people please create something that can stand on its own instead of relying entirely on fan nostalgia and vague references to characters and objects from the past? Every series of Star Trek after TOS has used tie-ins and references to other series for world building or to try and draw in viewers, but they didn't make them central parts of the plot and series.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

giphy.gif

Reactions: Blender

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Maybe Burnham realizes that she's actually a guy, Gets Gender Reassignment which in the future is a day surgery and adopts the name

Dum dum da

Sybok

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Maybe they'll kill her off and then engage in some time travel/parallel universe shenanigans to bring her back, except this version will be dark and emotionally tortured so they can wring another season out of her trying to reconnect to a universe she doesn't understand while the broken, sharp edges of her mind threaten to tear her apart unless she re-learns how to be a proper Vulcan from the Spock that the other her taught to be a proper Vulcan.

And also she's a Q messiah for some reason. But also Trelane's illegitimate half-sister. and Charlie X's aunt.

And a bunch of tribbles show up for some reason.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Star Trek: Discovery's Spock Will Be Very Different From the Version You Know | TV Guide

Rian Johnson already wrecked Luke. I'm not going out of my way to watch this show shit on Spock. Wake me up when they get their shit together.

My guess is Spock will be this very emotional, flawed asshole who needs to just listen some female lecture him (likely his half sister). So it will be a mixture of Luke Skywalker and Poe from the Last Jedi.

No. Thanks.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
"But why?"

Follow the money. They don't want people to wait until Season 2 starts in January to re-subscribe to All Access. If they sprinkle these quarter-length episodes across November, December and early January, they can almost double the number of months that viewers will be subscribed and, thus, double their revenue, all for the total cost of a single full-length episode. That would be astonishing bang for the buck.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Follow the money. They don't want people to wait until Season 2 starts in January to re-subscribe to All Access. If they sprinkle these quarter-length episodes across November, December and early January, they can almost double the number of months that viewers will be subscribed and, thus, double their revenue, all for the total cost of a single full-length episode. That would be astonishing bang for the buck.

So weird that south of the border you guys have to pay for it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad