SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Windsor May not have been a first round exit that year if they had that team any other year. The west was a very tough conference the year they won the Memorial Cup. Windsor was also a very good team before and after they added at the deadline. The top 5 were Erie, SSM, OS, London, Windsor. Windsor played London to 7 games with all but 1 game being very close in scoring. Game 7 London won 3-2. Unfortunately it turned out this way. Not to mention in the conference finals London and Erie went to 7 games with game 6 and 7 being overtime. Good conference.

I get it but that's one example..there isn't many other examples where a young player has "lead" their team and I personally don't believe it's a good example. I have never been a fan of DiPietro either.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Should be the roster after the trade deadline however many that ends up being if you want to cull a few inconsequential players. Some teams carry 22, 23, 24 etc. But weighting it based on games played is even better. Then a player that plays every game has their age counted 68 times more than a player that plays one game. If that's how Quant Hockey does it I am fully behind them 100%

Yeah I agree with this. If I were to count that's how I'd do it. Based on games played.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
I get it but that's one example..there isn't many other examples where a young player has "lead" their team and I personally don't believe it's a good example. I have never been a fan of DiPietro either.

Dipietro obviously had some talent to be called to Vancouver to play whilst still in Windsor over ECHL AHL back ups. But I digress on this point. I was more countering the trash season label you gave them.

Reactions: HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Dipietro obviously had some talent to be called to Vancouver to play whilst still in Windsor over ECHL AHL back ups. But I digress on this point. I was more countering the trash season label you gave them.

Yeah I didn't mean from top to bottom trash but it was a failure(regular season playoff push) and although it is an example of a 17 year old leading them to success had they not been the host team...they would have saw a first round exit and that's the end of it. Shouldn't have just flat out said TRASH hahaha!

DiPietro has talent but I believe hes far away from being a number one NHL goalie too.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
Yeah I didn't mean from top to bottom trash but it was a failure(regular season playoff push) and although it is an example of a 17 year old leading them to success had they not been the host team...they would have saw a first round exit and that's the end of it. Shouldn't have just flat out said TRASH hahaha!

DiPietro has talent but I believe hes far away from being a number one NHL goalie too.

Back to my original point. The west was an extremely strong conference that year and high competitive and almost even 1st to 5th place. Dipietro didn’t lead the team as the host to win the Memorial Cup. The acquisitions they made by the deadline. Jeremy Bracco, Sean Day. Not to mention players they already had in Mikhail Sergachev, Logan Stanley, Connor Corcoran, Austin McEneny, Mario Culjna as a backup, Luke Boca, Aaron luchuk, Gabriel Villardi, Jeremiah Addison, Cole Purboo. Dude that roster was stacked to the T’s. The line up was riddled with injuries all year long. The team could’ve easily been 100+ points. But placed 5th. Had they placed higher they may have gone to the conference finals and gave Erie a run for their money. As London did. The team was far from trash. Highly competitive west put them up against a very strong London a team and they came out on the bottom end.

Edit: and no ones making the argument that he’s a #1 NHL goalie. He’s far too young for that title if he ever gets it. He’s not seasoned. For the OHL. He had that edge up over most goalies in the league. He was top tier talent which is why he, of all of Vancouver’s goalie options in pro, was picked to replace an injury. Which he did play... 2 games maybe? 1 for sure.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Back to my original point. The west was an extremely strong conference that year and high competitive and almost even 1st to 5th place. Dipietro didn’t lead the team as the host to win the Memorial Cup. The acquisitions they made by the deadline. Jeremy Bracco, Sean Day. Not to mention players they already had in Mikhail Sergachev, Logan Stanley, Connor Corcoran, Austin McEneny, Mario Culjna as a backup, Luke Boca, Aaron luchuk, Gabriel Villardi, Jeremiah Addison, Cole Purboo. Dude that roster was stacked to the T’s. The line up was riddled with injuries all year long. The team could’ve easily been 100+ points. But placed 5th. Had they placed higher they may have gone to the conference finals and gave Erie a run for their money. As London did. The team was far from trash. Highly competitive west put them up against a very strong London a team and they came out on the bottom end.

Edit: and no ones making the argument that he’s a #1 NHL goalie. He’s far too young for that title if he ever gets it. He’s not seasoned. For the OHL. He had that edge up over most goalies in the league. He was top tier talent which is why he, of all of Vancouver’s goalie options in pro, was picked to replace an injury. Which he did play... 2 games maybe? 1 for sure.

Played one game and got lit up

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
I consistently see January babies dominate athletics through elementary and secondary school, and December babies lag behind. The same is true for elite athletes at the minor midget level and into the OHL. Late birthday kids have had to play their whole lives as the youngest players of their age cohort. Further, these kids go through so many physical and psychological changes in a matter of a few years of junior hockey, and yet you say 11 months makes no difference? I guess we agree to disagree.

For long term planning and roster management however, birth year absolutely matters.

This is not a new concept - Read the book, Outliers by Gladwell. The first story of the book is about this very topic.

Reactions: HockeyPops

LR8

Mar 8, 2018

Was not called up from Windsor

Vancouver did not have 2 healthy goalies under NHL contract in any pro leagues (NHL, AHL, ECHL) and had to exercise an emergency clause to call him up from Ottawa 67's. This was 2 years after the Windsor run.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Was not called up from Windsor

Vancouver did not have 2 healthy goalies under NHL contract in any pro leagues (NHL, AHL, ECHL) and had to exercise an emergency clause to call him up from Ottawa 67's. This was 2 years after the Windsor run.
If I'm not mistaken he was actually called up from the 67"s after the trade to them.

Reactions: Houndsfan22

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Is Rasmus Kupari no longer protected? I see he is playing for the Ontario Reign. Isn't he only 18! Would love the Wolves to try and deal for his rights since we have an open import spot. I also see Kakko from the NYR not lasting past his 10 games. Where will he go? I don't see a CHL team that holds his rights. Some interesting imports out there still.

WJ

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Is Rasmus Kupari no longer protected? I see he is playing for the Ontario Reign. Isn't he only 18! Would love the Wolves to try and deal for his rights since we have an open import spot. I also see Kakko from the NYR not lasting past his 10 games. Where will he go? I don't see a CHL team that holds his rights. Some interesting imports out there still.

WJ
Kupari is 19 (March 2000) Likely will stay with the Reign, is my guess.

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015
He's on the NHL roster but he isn't playing. Arizona's handling of him is very puzzling and bad for his development. I wish that they would let him play, either in the NHL or the OHL.

Agreed. Sportswriter Craig Morgan tweeted the following earlier today: "Darcy Kuemper starts in goal tonight for the Coyotes against the New York Islanders at Nassau Coliseum. No lineup changes, but coach Rick Tocchet said he is strongly considering putting Barrett Hayton in the lineup on Friday against the New Jersey Devils."

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He's on the NHL roster but he isn't playing. Arizona's handling of him is very puzzling and bad for his development. I wish that they would let him play, either in the NHL or the OHL.

Arizona is probably doing the right thing. Why send him to the OHL to stagnate, like some others before him? I’m sure Arizona remembers how it did not expedite Strome’s development. Hayton will learn plenty practising with pros.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

WJ

Kupari was drafted out of Europe, therefore the CHL agreement doesn't count for him. He can play AHL/ECHL at 18 if the Kings want.

Filip Zadina and Rasmus Sandin were drafted out of CHL but were technically on loan to the CHL clubs from their teams overseas, therefore allowing them to also play AHL at 18 years old. Some loop holes in there, but basically it only counts for true CHL players like Hayton.. Hence why he's stuck riding the pine or playing rather than being sent to the A.

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Arizona is probably doing the right thing. Why send him to the OHL to stagnate, like some others before him? I’m sure Arizona remembers how it did not expedite Strome’s development. Hayton will learn plenty practising with pros.
Yeah the right thing him not playing is really helping his development, and practicing is not the same as game action and does nothing to further his development, at least in junior he would be playing 25 plus minutes a night then world Juniors and then possibly if they decided to trade him to a legitimate contender the possibility of winning the league title then playing in the memorial cup. Just my opinion

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah the right thing him not playing is really helping his development, and practicing is not the same as game action and does nothing to further his development, at least in junior he would be playing 25 plus minutes a night then world Juniors and then possibly if they decided to trade him to a legitimate contender the possibility of winning the league title then playing in the memorial cup. Just my opinion

Right, just your opinion; like mine.
I think his practices are more challenging than OHL competition; especially if he gets dealt to a loaded contender facing seller teams.
My guess is he stays with the Coyotes until WJC before a final decision is made.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

I never said that they should send him to the OHL. Even if they did, it's doubtful that the Greyhounds would trade him. Unless I missed someone, the Hounds haven't sold off a major piece at the deadline since Brett Thompson in 2011.

I disagree that practicing and not playing with the NHL team is the right way to develop a player. I think he needs to see some serious NHL ice time with good linemates.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
hayton's coming back and will be traded for a kings ransom by the deadline. i look forward seeing who in the East we bilk out of some assets.

Reactions: jjhound
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad