SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
No
Perhaps instead of always looking at what is on the bench,we should be looking at what is behind the bench.
No issue with Dean. Kids showed great improvement last night defensively and Propp helped out as well. There are going to be some tough nights but they will improve.

Reactions: DWI Dale

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
They have lost a lot of close games. Obviously good teams find ways to win close games, so we have some work to do. But I have not embraced the 'sky is falling' rhetoric.

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
dean is fine. they're a 2nd year coaching staff that were carried a bit by 6 dominant players last year.

we got lots of speed and talent, we're missing out on the IQ, experience and toughness that a team of 19yo players brings.

the sky is right where it should be IMO.

the only people throwing tantrums are the fans who had silly expectations. when things don't go their way it's easier to lash out than to reassess their prognostications.

Last edited:

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
Perhaps instead of always looking at what is on the bench,we should be looking at what is behind the bench.

No. Dean and staff are alright. It’s a development league for coaches as well as players. Dean is learning to play without overly experienced players now.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
No panic yet, but we are currently in 9th place in the west and out of the playoffs. 2 wins in last 10 games stinks!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
dean is fine. they're a 2nd year coaching staff that were carried a bit by 6 dominant players last year.

we got lots of speed and talent, we're missing out on the IQ, experience and toughness that a team of 19yo players brings.

the sky is right where it should be IMO.

the only people throwing tantrums are the fans who had silly expectations. when things don't go their way it's easier to lash out than to reassess their prognostications.

I think what is disappointing to those fans is that with a little bit more from the goaltending, this team would be in the thick of a super competitive conference. As someone pointed out, SSM lost a lot of close games. If the goalies could have just made one or two more saves, the standings would look a lot differently right now.

Propp and Taylor should be putting up better than sub .880 performances right now. Their baseline expectation should have been at least an .890 a piece, if not a .900 for a guy like Propp, and that would have probably bought the team another 3 or 4 wins this year. 3 or 4 wins, depending on who they were against, takes them from 2nd last in the conference to 1st.

If Malik ever decides to come over, this is a team with a serious shot at going somewhere this year, even if they don't try to compete.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
malik is not a saviour. that kind of erred thinking will only lead to MORE disappointment and MORE scapegoating.

malik or not, this isn't our year.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Very few are saying this is our year. SeaOfBlue is not even saying that.

But when you look around at what many of the young goalies are accomplishing in this league (Brochu, Constantini, Tynan, Gaudreau) you realize that Malik could have the same kind success were he to come. Combine that with the number of close games the Greyhounds have played, and he might be enough to keep them in the thick of things while this team continues to improve.

SeaOfBlue isn't saying this is our year; he is saying we might go far despite it NOT being our year.

For context, here are our losses this season:
4-3 SBY
4-3 PBO
4-1 OS
7-5 NB *
4-3 SAG OT
7-4 BAR
6-4 WSR
4-1 FLT **
5-4 SAG
* empty net goal

In seven of these 9 losses we are right in them until the end of the game. If we get one more save we have a chance of winning a bunch more games. In contrast, if North Bay gets one more save in their losses it probably changes nothing.

DWI Dale sees these discussions as throwing our goalies under the bus. While I recognize there is room to improve defensively, I also see room to improve in goal.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
we can improve in goal and defensively. i'm not debating either point.

i'm debating whether or not we are losing because of goaltending, and even more so I'm debating a hounds fan base that has seemingly forgotten how to lose gracefully and with perspective.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I'm debating a hounds fan base that has seemingly forgotten how to lose gracefully and with perspective.
If this is true, you could hardly blame us. It's been 8 seasons since we've had an opportunity to do that.
i'm debating whether or not we are losing because of goaltending
I get the chicken and egg argument. After all, poor defense leads to higher quality scoring chances against. So how much of the poor save percentage can be attributed to the goaltenders? It's a tough question to answer without having lots of more advanced stats available to us.

As a 17 year old, Propp played on a terrible Barrie team. The team ended up dead last with a 17-44-6-1 record, and Propp was 7-20-1. But he still managed an .884 save percentage that season. This season he is an abysmal .866 save percentage. Usually a goaltender will improve their craft after three additional seasons in the OHL. That 2016-2017 Barrie team was not good defensively, I guess I am having a tough time believing that our defense this year is that much worse than Barrie's was that season in order to absolve Propp of any criticism.
a hounds fan base that has seemingly forgotten how to lose gracefully and with perspective.
you know fan is short for fanatic, right?

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
I don't know the answer as to why we are giving up so many quality scoring chances to our opponents beyond poor positioning and seemingly endless turnovers in the neutral zone, but I do not like Dean making public comments about players missing assignments, veterans not leading the team or criticizing the entire teams' effort. I trust he realizes the guys read these comments. The last thing we need is a group of players despising the coach.

Reactions: SuperMod

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I don't know the answer as to why we are giving up so many quality scoring chances to our opponents beyond poor positioning and seemingly endless turnovers in the neutral zone, but I do not like Dean making public comments about players missing assignments, veterans not leading the team or criticizing the entire teams' effort. I trust he realizes the guys read these comments. The last thing we need is a group of players despising the coach.

The majority of our young guys are playing worse than they did last year. They are not focused and not putting in the same effort.

One would have expected the team to take a step forward as a whole considering the talent of the returning players, but we're just not seeing it. At least some of the blame should be put on them.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Expectations based on past success is always high for a team like the Greyhounds. We do the exact same thing in London. Bottom line is the Greyhounds are not as bad as the current results indicate however they are a young group that need to learn how to win the “close games”. They will learn, points will be accumulated and the sky will return to its normal position. It’s just a feeling you all haven’t felt for a long time.

You still have arguably the best looking uniforms in the league if that helps at all? LOL, hang in there the ship will “right” itself and this period will be forgotten however remembered in the standings unfortunately.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The Hayton watch continues. Last night another game played, another point (now 3 points in 4 games). He has dressed 4 out of 11 games so far. Tocchet said his line was the best line on Friday night.

Hayton is currently 2nd on the team with 0.75 points-per-game (Schmaltz has 1.00).

Hayton savours first NHL goal, remains with Coyotes

Last edited:

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Expectations based on past success is always high for a team like the Greyhounds. We do the exact same thing in London. Bottom line is the Greyhounds are not as bad as the current results indicate however they are a young group that need to learn how to win the “close games”. They will learn, points will be accumulated and the sky will return to its normal position. It’s just a feeling you all haven’t felt for a long time.

You still have arguably the best looking uniforms in the league if that helps at all? LOL, hang in there the ship will “right” itself and this period will be forgotten however remembered in the standings unfortunately.

Thanks for the kind words Buttsy. It is junior hockey and so many things change during the course of the season it could make your head spin! Lol

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Doesn't get any easier for the Hounds. This week hosting Guelph, Windsor and next week visiting Sarnia, Flint. 4 of the hottest teams right now.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Hopefully we'll get an injured body or two back for next weekend. I'm not big on excuses but being down a veteran forward and our two best D men is some serious adversity for a struggling team.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

7. Jaromir Pytlik - Forward - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Pytlik has progressed very nicely in his second OHL season; all be it his first full one. With some graduations on the Hounds and Barrett Hayton currently in the NHL, Pytlik has had to be the focal point of their attack and he's met that challenge head on. He's also taken well to playing center, although has shifted between there and the wing. This type of versatility is going to make him a very attractive option to scouts. Pytlik also plays a very pro ready kind of game. He's at his best fighting off checks below the hash marks and he is very good at using his 6'2 frame to protect the puck. Pytlik is also aggressive in driving the net and does the majority of his damage down low. I think his skating has improved, in particular his first few strides. But he'll likely never be a burner. That's not to say that he's a poor skater. But it won't be an asset at the next level. That said, I do like him. Pytlik is just a very well rounded player and I really like the fact that he's been able to be a consistent, driving, offensive force this year for those around him.
8. Ryan O'Rourke - Defense - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Just a real throwback. O'Rourke is a tough as nails defender who has improved by leaps and bounds as a puck carrier, mover, and overall offensive player this year. He showed well as a rookie last year because of his physical aggressiveness in the defensive end. But I think his movement is more fluid this year and it's allowing him to be even more effective in his own end. He's not as big as most guys who play like he does (6'1, 170lbs). So continuing to upgrade his mobility will be key, matching that high intensity level with smarts and positioning. Offensively, he has taken off while running the point of the Greyhounds' powerplay. He has a cannon of a point shot and he's been very aggressive in jumping up into the play to try to get himself looks. He's also become way more confident handling and moving the puck. A true two-way defender, O'Rourke is forcing himself into contention for the first round. Guys like him just don't grow on trees anymore.
25. Rory Kerins - Forward - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Competitive goal scoring center whose 10 goals place him 3rd in the OHL among first time draft eligible players (behind Byfield and Foerster). Kerins has a very high motor that is generating him a lot of scoring opportunities, especially within five feet of the net. But his hands are very good, as is his release. He's really developed some nice chemistry with Jaden Peca this year and the two of them are feeding very well off of each other, hounding puck carriers, driving the net, and generating consistent scoring chances. Like Evangelista, I want to see Kerins continue his strong start. I also need to get a better read on his skating. Guys with such a high motor like Kerins can be difficult to assess in this regard. And when you factor in his slightly below average frame (5'10, 173lbs), a lack of dynamic skating will likely hurt his draft ranking and projection.
26. Tanner Dickinson - Forward - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
One guy whose skating ability is obvious, however, is Kerins' teammate Dickinson. This kid can flat out fly on the ice. And he uses his speed well, with and without the puck. Loves to drive the middle of the ice to open up space for his linemates, and identifies lanes quite well, executing drop passes or drawing in defenders before dishing off. His 12 assists this year (among the highest of draft eligibles) are no fluke. He gets to loose pucks and closes in on defenders quickly. He'll need to get stronger to force a few more turnovers, however, as his work along the wall is still developing. Curious to see how his game continues to develop this year as an OHL rookie, playing his first full year above the midget level (saw only 8 games in the USHL last year).
41. Alex Johnston - Forward - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Might not be the most physically gifted player in terms of power, but he's been effective with more ice time for the Soo this year. Still really like how drives the offense from the middle of the ice, pushing the pace and surveying the situation before making a decision. A very calculated player. Not sure if the lack of physical gifts will prevent him from being on the NHL radar, but I'm still a fan (as I was last year).

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Number of players in Brock's top 60:

Windsor - 6
London - 6
Ottawa - 5
Soo - 5
Kingston - 4
Kitchener - 4
Erie - 3
Mississauga - 3
Niagara - 3
Oshawa - 3
Saginaw - 3
Sarnia - 3
Sudbury - 3
Hamilton - 2
Owen Sound - 2
Barrie - 1
Flint - 1
Guelph - 1
North Bay - 1
Peterborough - 1

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Out of Brock's 60 players, only 13 were not drafted in the first 3 rounds of the priority selection (ignoring imports). Interesting that 3 of the 13 are in the Soo. I think this is what we are referring to when we say the Soo has above average drafting and development.

25. Rory Kerins SOO 2018, 4th
26. Tanner Dickinson SOO FA

31. Isaak Phillips SBY 2017, 4th
34. Aidan Campbell ERIE 2018, 12th
35. Tucker Tynan NIA 2018, 10th
41. Alex Johnston SOO 2017, 6th
42. Zayde Wisdom KGN 2018, 4th
HM. Avery Winslow LDN 2018, 5th
HM. Mitchell Smith SAG 2018, 5th
HM. Marco Costantini HAM 2018, 5th
HM. Jonah De Simone NIA 2018, 4th
HM. Jake Uberti NIA 2018, 4th