SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Our defense looks solid because they are playing defense first and looking to score second. Making tape to tape passes out of the zone, letting the forwards focus on offense instead of covering the blue line and not giving up the repeated odd man rush. The recipe for our success!

YES!!! With some defensive accountability we don't need to score 5 goals a game to win.

And no, I'm not discrediting the contribution of Bailey Brkin because he's been freakin' great so far.

Reactions: soo hound girl

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If Hayton does come back to the OHL what do you guys think we could get for him ? and where do you guys see him ending up?

Any deal for Hayton would be of the magnitude of Jason Robertson last year. Just to make it easy, let’s mirror much of that deal last year to a deal this year involving Hayton.

The Robertson deal was:

To Nia:
Robertson
Paquette

To King:
Martin
Constantinou
Four 2nds
Three 3rds
One each 5th, 7th, 11th, 13th

So:

To Flint:
C-Hayton
D-LeGuerrier

To Soo:
Othmann
2nd
2nd
2nd
3rd
3rd
3rd

Othmann is younger and higher end than Martin and Constantinou. Therefore, one less second is included in the deal and the four other picks are scratched as well (but really, add them if you want, lol).

I suspect that there will be a bidding war for Hayton’s services. Therefore, it’s going to take somebody’s 2019 1st rounder plus multiple high picks to land him. Even if other teams offer up their 2019 1st rounders, Othmann trumps all of those as he was the top 2003 player selected in the draft.

Some may see this as a bit of an overpayment. But I feel that Flint sees an opportunity to go all in and have a very good chance of winning the conference. After a run of bad years, they’ll want to capitalize on their current position in the standings and have a winning season for their fan base. That means they may do the unexpected and offer up Othmann and Vierling (see below) in a deal for the best player in the league and a very good veteran D to boot.

I am presuming that Othmann waves his no trade clause. If he’s going to report to Flint, which he did, he’ll likely report anywhere. No disrespect to the Soo, and also respecting the fact that they have been successful in attracting high-end players, not to mention developing them for the pros, I presume Othmann may feel that the Soo will be a good landing spot for him.

Flint needs scoring. Currently, they are one of the top teams in the Western Conference. However, they only have one player in the top 50 in league scoring right now. They could use some high end scorers. With that in mind, they complete the above deal plus the following (its been suggested on the Rangers board) and they would be set for a long run this postseason:

To Flint:
Damiani
Yantsis

To Kitchener:
Vierling
2nd
2nd
3rd
3rd
5th

That’s Othmann, Vierling, five 2nds, five thirds and a 5th out.

That’s C-Hayton, C-Damiani, RW-Yantsis and D-LeGuerrier in.

Add the fact that they already dealt for D-Lalonde and Flint looks very good going forward this post season.

Flint would have to find a landing spot for OA-Phibbs to make way for Yantsis (included in the Kitchener deal in favour of the 5th rounder?)

Also, after these deals, Flint would still have a 2nd and two 3rds in the bank. Also, if they chose to, they’d have decent 01’s to sell off if they choose to rebuild next season.

Would you guys up in the Soo be happy with that deal?

Reactions: soo hound girl

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
If Hayton does come back to the OHL what do you guys think we could get for him ? and where do you guys see him ending up?

That's difficult to say. In a trade for the best player in the league, the priority is obviously to get an elite young player that the Greyhounds are always too good to get in the draft.

I think you first go to Peterborough and don't budge on Mason McTavish. If they want to make a run then that's the price. Hamilton probably doesn't regret their trade for Robert Thomas.

Other good targets on contending teams would be Brett Harrison on Oshawa, Brandt Clarke on Barrie, and Jack Matier on Ottawa.

If we go to the next tier (in my opinion) of guys like Avon, Smith, and McCallum then there had better be an absolute boatload of picks.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I'd want an extra 2nd and 3rd as a condition for LeGuerrier's OA season, but that deal is reasonable. Othmann is the type of player that the Greyhounds never get a chance to select. I'd love to see him develop in our system but I don't think that they will make him available.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
McTavish is a pipe dream, he is averaging over a point per game, he is too impactful already for a contending team to deal. Ditto for Clarke.

Reactions: dirty12

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t think Othmann would be made available, he’s easily in Mctavish territory for me

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
McTavish is a pipe dream, he is averaging over a point per game, he is too impactful already for a contending team to deal. Ditto for Clarke.

Anyone is in play for the best player in the league, including those two. Trading an impact rookie is hardly unprecedented for teams looking to make a run. Allan McShane is a good recent example.

Peterborough is the perfect storm for Hayton so you put McTavish on the table and don't budge. Other teams will pay up if they aren't serious about winning a title.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Petes won’t move mctavish and won’t have to they have 3 2nds in this draft to any team looking to sell off that is a quick rebuild right there Avon butler or spearing will be what I think the petes will trade maybe tucker Robertson he has looked real good this year aswell

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Petes won’t move mctavish and won’t have to they have 3 2nds in this draft to any team looking to sell off that is a quick rebuild right there Avon butler or spearing will be what I think the petes will trade maybe tucker Robertson he has looked real good this year aswell

I agree that those three 2nd round picks in the 2020 draft are like gold.......Avon, spearing or butler could move but Tucker Robertson can't be dealt as a rookie 4th round pick.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Isnt it ironic that Arizona’s Gm Steve Sullivan is a former greyhound and their Head Coach Rick Tocchet a former greyhound and Barret Hayton a greyhound maybe it is true he will be sent back

Reactions: Bear54

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Anyone is in play for the best player in the league, including those two. Trading an impact rookie is hardly unprecedented for teams looking to make a run. Allan McShane is a good recent example.

Peterborough is the perfect storm for Hayton so you put McTavish on the table and don't budge. Other teams will pay up if they aren't serious about winning a title.

I agree. Hayton will be the best player in this league this year if he is returned. You hold out and you’ll get somebody’s first round pick. You’ll probably get the first rounder that you want. As you say, hold out for McTavish nobody else. Peterboro may not want to move him, but as was said earlier, I doubt very much Hamilton regrets trading for Rob Thomas.

I still would not rule out Othmann from Flint as part of a package for Hayton. Flint has the assets. I see them as being the number one team in the west who will go all in hands down. They have comparable picks to Saginaw. London likely has consideration of contending next year as well meaning they may not go 100% all in throwing down to go after Hayton the same way that Flint might.

Besides, if Saginaw or London offer up their 2019 1st rounder, that player still does not beat Othmann. Flint wins that bidding war.

Also to consider. Young Mr. Branch needs a win. His career as a GM in this league is questionable and still reeks of nepotism. Going all in big time this season in a western conference that can be had should they pull a Guelph this year would be quite the feather in his hat. Getting to the finals and possibly winning a championship would put to rest any criticism of his abilities. Make no mistake. I’m sure this is in the back of his mind.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Don’t waste time thinking about any of the top 5 ‘03 picks. I guess the ‘03s in play are Matier, McCallum, Prunnet, Rolofs; and possibly Avon, Johnson; and an outside chance of Gaudreau if a selling team desperately wants him.
If returned, my guess is Hayton goes to Ottawa, Saginaw, or Sudbury; maybe, London.
Imo Flint will look to add a high scoring OA winger such as Lodinia or Josling. If not done at that, bet on Gogalev.
The Petes will be going after Noel or Thomas; then, try for Damiani, Hillis, ...

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Anyone else remember last January and the trade rumours that were circulating at the time? Recall how hard Ruicci worked to quell those rumours and berate those that started them?

Here we are one season later and Ruicci is not only doing the same thing that he criticised, but he is publishing it in the paper too.

Hmmmm.....

Reactions: dirty12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->