SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
LeGuerrier not listed as a scratch or a starter. What gives?

Edit: on the live stream they just said LeGuerrier out with an injury.

Last edited:

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Fischhaber...jjhound...john dean and whoever else is oblivious to how the game should be played:
Goal 1
upload_2019-10-25_1-7-33.png

Point shot - who is covering him? Player in the centre - block the shot or get out of the way. Right D - doing nothing in no man's land. Taylor - deep in net, bad rebound - goalie's fault.
Goal 2
upload_2019-10-25_1-10-54.png

Player gets beat to outside - what are the 3 players doing in the middle of the ice.
Taylor deep - beat 5 hole. Goalie's fault.
Goal 3
upload_2019-10-25_1-13-42.png

D gets beat to outside lets player cut to center of ice - terrible body position on zone entry and light on the player - never let guy cut to the center of ice.
Taylor - deep off angle and poor body position. Goalie's fault.
Goal 4
upload_2019-10-25_1-18-5.png

Forward no block on point shot.
Mismatch D against Douglas.
Taylor deep didn't get out for possible redirect. Goalie's fault.
Goal 5
upload_2019-10-25_1-21-14.png

Man left open - winger floating around middle of zone
Taylor deep - poor body position goalie's fault.
Goal 6
upload_2019-10-25_1-24-1.png

I love this one. This is a 3 on 5 in own zone. 1 D tries shot block and totally blocks Taylor's view of pass release so he goes down early.
D partner is facing the back of the rink - butt to the play. Friggin hockey 101
Taylor down early goalie's fault.

Do you you see how ludicrous your argument that it is a goalie issue is? This team does not know how to play defense.
Is the goaltending perfect, no but it rarely is at this level.
Score all the goals you want but until the Soo learns to defend they will not win.

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-25_0-57-37.png
    upload_2019-10-25_0-57-37.png
    624.7 KB · Views: 1

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Fischhaber...jjhound...john dean and whoever else is oblivious to how the game should be played:
Goal 1
View attachment 268609
Point shot - who is covering him? Player in the centre - block the shot or get out of the way. Right D - doing nothing in no man's land. Taylor - deep in net, bad rebound - goalie's fault.
Goal 2
View attachment 268611
Player gets beat to outside - what are the 3 players doing in the middle of the ice.
Goal 3
View attachment 268613
D gets beat to outside lets player cut to center of ice - terrible body position on zone entry and light on the player - never let guy cut to the center of ice.
Goal 4
View attachment 268615
Goal 5
View attachment 268619
Goal 6
View attachment 268623
I love this one. This is a 3 on 5 in own zone. 1 D tries shot block and totally blocks Taylor's view of pass release so he goes down early.

Do you you see how ludicrous your argument that it is a goalie issue is? This team does not know how to play defense.
Score all the goals you want but until the Soo learns to defend they will not win.
I do not think I ever blamed the goalie. I said the other day there will be struggles but they will come around. Being without our top defensive defenceman made things tougher last night undoubtedly. No question our back end is younger losing 2 OA defenceman this year. Last night we played with one 19 year old , 3 18 year old, 2 17 year old and a 16 year old on D. It will take time. Any goal you break down in hockey usually will show a defensive issue, that's usually how goals are scored! It's a game of mistakes, and they will become better over time at limiting these mistakes, I believe that. But like I posted before, we will likely finish between 8th abd 12th in the league.

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
Goal 1
View attachment 268609
Goal 2
View attachment 268611
Goal 3
View attachment 268613
Goal 4
View attachment 268615
Goal 5
View attachment 268619
Goal 6
View attachment 268623

Both a very nice breakdown of the problem and also frustrating to watch. We are a better team than this at defense! C'mon boys!

Reactions: Houndsfan22

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Goal 1
View attachment 268609
Goal 2
View attachment 268611
Goal 3
View attachment 268613
Goal 4
View attachment 268615
Goal 5
View attachment 268619
Goal 6
View attachment 268623

I wasn't able to watch the game, but it would certainly appear that it was our worst defensive effort of the season. It really shows how important LeGuerrier is to the team. Thanks for doing the breakdowns.

I don't criticize goals on defensive breakdowns, even if goalies are expected make more of those difficult saves than we have seen so far. It's the unscreened point shots and bad angle shots from deep that are hurting us in most games.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
We really did struggle in our own end last night. I think credit has to go to Windsor. They pressured the puck carrier quickly while taking away passing lanes. This lead to many turnovers. Even loose pucks we got to first in the slot we would panic and make a poor first pass and often turn over even when the pressure wasn't immediately there.

Windsor is also probably the best passing team that we have faced. Their quick puck movement on their powerplay in the first period was impressive and they were eventually rewarded just as the power play expired. When making East-West passes they zip the puck across right onto the tape, you can see on the highlight reel even at even strength they scored a few goals after one of these passes.

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015
He's on the NHL roster but he isn't playing. Arizona's handling of him is very puzzling and bad for his development. I wish that they would let him play, either in the NHL or the OHL.

And playing in only his 3rd game, Barrett Hayton just scored his first NHL goal! I suspect he might just be sticking with the Coyotes.... Darn! Good for the young man however...

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
And playing in only his 3rd game, Barrett Hayton just scored his first NHL goal! I suspect he might just be sticking with the Coyotes.... Darn! Good for the young man however...

Almost missed the tip in from Schmaltz. Good position though. Played it well.

I find it funny when people speculate his return soon. “Hasn’t played in 3 games” or what have you and people assume his development would be stunted not playing back down here. Then people come out and say he is developing being able to practice with the pros. I think of this and agree. Hayton is getting much better practicing there than he would in playing here. Unfortunately for us but it’s selfish to want to have him back here for our successes. He’s making a case for himself to stay and only time will tell. It’s fun to sit here up north and watch his development. Best of luck to this man!

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
it really depends on the player.

robert thomas jumped into the NHL nicely at 19.

but then you look at someone like Jared McCann whom Vancouver let turn pro far too young and IMO it set his development back.

i still believe Hayton will be returned so play meaningful minutes and LEAD, with a gold medal in January for good measure but would not be shocked or outraged if he stuck with the yotes.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
another divisional opponent tonight. these games always prove to be important at the end of the season so hopefully the Pups bounce back solid today.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016

but then you look at someone like Jared McCann whom Vancouver let turn pro far too young and IMO it set his development back.

i still believe Hayton will be returned so play meaningful minutes and LEAD, with a gold medal in January for good measure but would not be shocked or outraged if he stuck with the yotes.
Totally agree about McCann and I think Hayton is a similar situation. In tough tonight. Heard more injuries on the back end.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
Goal 1
View attachment 268609
Goal 2
View attachment 268611
Goal 3
View attachment 268613
Goal 4
View attachment 268615
Goal 5
View attachment 268619
Goal 6
View attachment 268623

Fantastic analysis. I really hope the coaching staff sees this post or picked up on this in game and are working on video review. I didn’t watch the game so I didn’t get to see how terrible it was. But these are some glaring obvious holes in our defensive game that I’ve never seen this bad before. The team should be working on defensive drills 70% of practice until they tighten up and grab assignments properly. Mind you the team has a lot of fresh faces and 2nd year players. But things can improve definitely.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018

Vancouver really dicked over McCann. Took him a few years and 3 teams to finally start getting it together. He seems to do quite well in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
O'Rourke and Leguerrier are out of the line up. This might not end well. Propp is going to have to stand on his head.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
tough loss. i can handle that though.

what i can't handle is Calisti acting like a clown and stealing the game puck when Flint set a bunch of franchise records tonight. unclassy way to act in front of the flint locals or the fan bus.

Reactions: dirty12

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
tough loss. i can handle that though.

what i can't handle is Calisti acting like a clown and stealing the game puck when Flint set a bunch of franchise records tonight. unclassy way to act in front of the flint locals or the fan bus.
Calisti, the HC and a couple others were clearly really upset about something I didn't catch on that last EN goal. Was it offsides?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
This is the worst Greyhounds team we have seen since the Dave Torrie era. It's so disheartening to see a team that easily has the talent to win the West play like this. The players should be ashamed of their effort level.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
This is the worst Greyhounds team we have seen since the Dave Torrie era. It's so disheartening to see a team that easily has the talent to win the West play like this. The players should be ashamed of their effort level.

It's early, I have confidence the coaching staff will iron things out. The talent is there, it's the defensive end which needs the most work... Can teach defense much more easily than offense.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
So they're the worst Greyhounds team but they EASILY could win the West? You know you were missing a couple kinda ok defensemen tonight right? They did a lot better than I thought considering no O'Rourke or Leger..Legrurr...Lahgare...Legurrier?

Reactions: dirty12 and jjhound

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Calisti, the HC and a couple others were clearly really upset about something I didn't catch on that last EN goal. Was it offsides?

On the first ENG the Flint announcers suggested the puck might have hit someone on the bench or something. I couldn't see anything on the video feed.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
On the first ENG the Flint announcers suggested the puck might have hit someone on the bench or something. I couldn't see anything on the video feed.
Gave up 2 goals without the top 2 defensemen in the lineup against a good team on the road. Not too bad.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Gave up 2 goals without the top 2 defensemen in the lineup against a good team on the road. Not too bad.

IMO they played a pretty decent road game. it didn't pan out for us. we weren't good defensively at times but with top 2 D out it is what it is.

again, some perspective and realistic expectations for this season would help out a lot of hounds fans.

Reactions: dirty12 and jjhound

SuperMod

Nov 6, 2018
Perhaps instead of always looking at what is on the bench,we should be looking at what is behind the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad