SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
At that point you can release Propp and hope that the conditional pick did not convert (although it is likely based on him making the roster and is likely nothing more than a mid-round pick even if it did convert)
I think someone in another thread said it was a third round pick. Haven't seen confirmation anywhere though.

Reactions: Uncle

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think someone in another thread said it was a third round pick. Haven't seen confirmation anywhere though.

Personally, I think a 3rd rounder is steep for a mediocre OA goalie. Not that it is a direct correlation, but if you look at the OA conditions on the Jacob Ingham and Cole Purboo trades, it's only 5th or 6th round picks. Maybe they charged less for the OA condition because they got more in guaranteed picks, but Propp was a worse goalie than both too.

I'd be personally surprised if they gave up more than a 5th or 6th on that condition. That's where it should be anyways. That would be a fair price for a stop gap OA goalie who should hopefully turn it around a little bit and be decent until Malik comes in (which I suspect will probably be around Christmas).

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Personally, I think a 3rd rounder is steep for a mediocre OA goalie. Not that it is a direct correlation, but if you look at the OA conditions on the Jacob Ingham and Cole Purboo trades, it's only 5th or 6th round picks. Maybe they charged less for the OA condition because they got more in guaranteed picks, but Propp was a worse goalie than both too.

I'd be personally surprised if they gave up more than a 5th or 6th on that condition. That's where it should be anyways. That would be a fair price for a stop gap OA goalie who should hopefully turn it around a little bit and be decent until Malik comes in (which I suspect will probably be around Christmas).

Propp had been better than Popovich before this season started and Flint paid like triple the price. Perhaps it was a scouting coup for them or just luck. Either way, I think we paid a reasonable price.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Propp had been better than Popovich before this season started and Flint paid like triple the price. Perhaps it was a scouting coup for them or just luck. Either way, I think we paid a reasonable price.

Popovich was inflated by winning a championship and having two full seasons as a standalone starter. A lot more teams would have been chasing him than Propp (I believe both OS and Oshawa were interested in him at some point).

His value likely would have been a lot lower had Guelph not won last year.

OA goalie prices are going to go down with Import Goalies allowed to come back. Fewer teams are going to want to spend an OA slot on a goalie.

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Remember Branch always gives more than what players are worth. Has been known for that since he became a stay at home GM. Look at the Lalonde deal recently. What an overpayment.

WJ

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Didn't Branch massively overpay for a player from London then trade that same player shortly after for pennies on the dollar? I can't remember details, but I remember feeling like London made out like bandits.

I still don't understand how Barclay running a team in a league his father presides over isn't a conflict of interest.

Last edited:

czechgame

Mar 16, 2019

Malik is having great season in CZE so far, don’t expect him come in this season...

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Malik is having great season in CZE so far, don’t expect him come in this season...

Hounds management seems totally convinced that he is coming. The tone of the interviews with Raftis makes it sound like they know when he will report, but they don't want to reveal it yet.

Reactions: DWI Dale

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Hounds management seems totally convinced that he is coming. The tone of the interviews with Raftis makes it sound like they know when he will report, but they don't want to reveal it yet.
Which interview makes it sound like he knows "when" he will report? I think he seems confident he will report at some point but that's about it.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
If Malik reports and Hayton comes back we unload Propp and pick up a couple of overages and make a run there is no team in the west that we can’t compete with if we add those 4 pieces

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Which interview makes it sound like he knows "when" he will report? I think he seems confident he will report at some point but that's about it.

Every interview I get that vibe from him. He's rarely so forward and confident regarding players reporting.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
If Malik reports and Hayton comes back we unload Propp and pick up a couple of overages and make a run there is no team in the west that we can’t compete with if we add those 4 pieces
You should pump the brakes just a little bit.
There is a huge difference playing in Czech land behind a D core with the average age of 22 yrs and 6.1 1/2" height to playing on the youngest Soo team in 5 years that gives up over 4 years in age and 2" in height.
Purely on a draft issue he would be best served staying there and playing well behind that team.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
You should pump the brakes just a little bit.
There is a huge difference playing in Czech land behind a D core with the average age of 22 yrs and 6.1 1/2" height to playing on the youngest Soo team in 5 years that gives up over 4 years in age and 2" in height.
Purely on a draft issue he would be best served staying there and playing well behind that team.

This isn't the youngest Hounds team in 5 years. They were younger last season.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
If Nick Malik comes over Propp gets moved. But I don’t think many people will look to pick him up. Who knows. Maybe Sarnia as their blue line and back look horrendous. Anything might be an upgrade. That is if Propp is having some bad luck and not just genuinely lacking skill to keep up to the play in the O as an OA.

Hayton returns and I think we ship him after WJC. We aren’t running this year. We don’t want to sink ourselves remotely close to what Kingston has done for their draft cupboard. Keep Hayton for as long as we can until WJC. Develop and lead our young men. Peca stays to be that OA experienced guy with some leadership abilities. Along with Constantineau. This year is all about lifting up our core of young men. Hayton will yield a large enough return similar to the raddysh trade did for Erie. Hayton would be the best in the league so we shouldn’t worry about shipping out anymore than we have to as we need to worry about leaders building young leaders.

Sure it would be nice to have another go again year. But the next couple of years after this should be looking fantastic as long as we do all of the little things. Half the game is about watching the guys develop after having a few good runs at the cup. At least in my opinion.

Cheers

Reactions: BehindSooNet

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
If you go to fiveforhowling.com it doesn’t sound Hayton will be coming back. Wishful thinking we will see him in a greyhound uniform again

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If you go to fiveforhowling.com it doesn’t sound Hayton will be coming back. Wishful thinking we will see him in a greyhound uniform again
?
I can find nothing on there about Hayton in the last 10 days since their win streak began. Links and quotes please.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Hayton will be back.

Regarding Malik... As Fisch eluded to, Raftis never gives up much when it comes to players reporting and the vibes he gives off feels like more of "when" not "if".

That said, I think it's realistic Malik doesn't come until after world Juniors at the earliest and quite possibly not until next season.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Mark my words I've been told by someone internally that Hayton will be back by WJC . They're feeling him out every 3/4 games until he hits 9.

Prospect update below. Wrote a quick little article about some of our prospects turning heads and included that Raftis interview about Malik. Interesting enough it sounds almost like hes saying " Once he's done representing his country for him and his family , he'll be here LOL"

An Update On The Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds Prospect Pool

Reactions: HockeyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad