SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
You are missing the point. If you cannot score on the power play bigger teams will take liberties and not mind being short handed more often. We cannot play the rough game and ultimately it will hurt us if the power play is not clicking.

Statistically speaking, neither of us really have any clue if the powerplay is good or not.

As I mentioned earlier, it is a percentage stat based on a low number of occurences. It takes a very long time for that stat to stabilize, as evidenced by the fact that we went from 3rd to 19th to 6th in the span of like 5 games.

In a more qualitative sense, were are also integrating a new powerplay QB so there are bound to be some bumps in the road until he is comfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Houndsfan22

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
hopefully the hounds use this game to stabilize the ship. while i didn't think we were as good as our 4-0 start i also don't think we are bad as our record the last 2 weeks.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Smoked what is likely the youngest roster in the league today, probably the bigger team. Some skilled big players is nice, same with at least one reliable defensive defense man; but the real issue is age, right? It’s going to be tough to beat some of the better teams with just 5 19-20 yr olds, no matter the goalie. It’s might be the main reason Raftis acquired an OA goalie

Reactions: DWI Dale

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Smoked what is likely the youngest roster in the league today, probably the bigger team. Some skilled big players is nice, same with at least one reliable defensive defense man; but the real issue is age, right? It’s going to be tough to beat some of the better teams with just 5 19-20 yr olds, no matter the goalie. It’s might be the main reason Raftis acquired an OA goalie

Two things stand out to me:

1. The Greyhounds lead the league in goals scored.

2. The Greyhounds have given up 28.2 shots per game, second fewest behind London (27).

That's really good. Age may become a concern at some point but it's not a concern right now.

Eight players have double digit points, which is the best in the league easily (most have 3-4, or 0 for poor Kingston). The team isn't built around a 2000 star player, but the extremely deep forward group is obviously causing a lot of matchup problems. That was really evident against Kitchener, where McKee had to shorten his bench to only 2 lines after the first period.

Also, if you are curious, here are the 6 youngest teams:

1. Hamilton
2. North Bay (18y, 4m, 11d)
3. Guelph
4. Mississauga
5. Kingston
6. Sault Ste. Marie (18y, 6m, 21d)

Hardcore Techno

Mar 28, 2018

2. The Greyhounds have given up 28.2 shots per game, second fewest behind London (27).

That's really good. Age may become a concern at some point but it's not a concern right now.

Eight players have double digit points, which is the best in the league easily (most have 3-4, or 0 for poor Kingston). The team isn't built around a 2000 star player, but the extremely deep forward group is obviously causing a lot of matchup problems. That was really evident against Kitchener, where McKee had to shorten his bench to only 2 lines after the first period.

1. Hamilton
3. Guelph
4. Mississauga
5. Kingston
Good point.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

1. Hamilton
3. Guelph
4. Mississauga
5. Kingston

Average age is misleading, imo. I can understand making a comparison between a player born January-February 2001 being effectively a year older than Coe born December 12, 2001; but comparing 2001 born January to mid-September, they are all 18 in their third season of eligibility.
Soo having 10-2001 born with several in their 2nd season is a relatively young team.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Average age is misleading, imo. I can understand making a comparison between a player born January-February 2001 being effectively a year older than Coe born December 12, 2001; but comparing 2001 born January to mid-September, they are all 18 in their third season of eligibility.
Soo having 10-2001 born with several in their 2nd season is a relatively young team.

Average age has them at 6th youngest, so it agrees with your assessment. I think the birth month thing evens out for the most part, but there will always be some discrepancies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Average age has them at 6th youngest, so it agrees with your assessment. I think the birth month thing evens out for the most part, but there will always be some discrepancies.

Sort of, I guess. I consider 2001 born to be the middle/average. On any given day, NB dresses 9-10 2002-03 & 5 1999-2000. That to me, makes NB a significantly younger team than the Soo that dresses about 10-2001

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Sort of, I guess. I consider 2001 born to be the middle/average. On any given day, NB dresses 9-10 2002-03 & 5 1999-2000. That to me, makes NB a significantly younger team than the Soo that dresses about 10-2001

The Greyhounds also dress 7-8 2002 and 2003 born players in each game so it's not a huge difference. The 4 OA's vs just 2 (or 1 today) brings the teams closer together as well.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The Sheriff Hudson Wilson is now on the trade block from Ottawa as an OA defenceman after the Gareffa acquisition. If there’s a tougher player in the league I haven’t seen him.

I like Wilson as a player, but I don't see the team adding a 9th defenseman at this point in time. The need isn't there after the Constantinou trade.

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
Fun game to watch today! Lots of good plays by numerous players, but both O'Rourke and Kerins were standouts. Glad our Greyhounds put a mark in the win column.

Bear54

Sep 20, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie
The Soo has brought in gritty players the last couple of drafts. O'Rourke, Halushak, and Boudreau all fit the bill. I like these additions and hope for more in future drafts. But they have to be able to play a skill game too like these 3.

I agree with you on these three. We haven't seen Halushak play as much but I liked his grit in our end today.

It seems to me that lately our defense gets beat to the outside giving the offensive player enough time to cut back to our net for a chance to score.

I liked LeGuerrier's hit today. It's not our style but you can't let the opposing players stand in front of our net or chase a puck into the corner without at least wondering if they are going to "pay a price". If they're looking over their shoulder, they're not focusing on making a play.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Rookie scoring by team:

Oshawa - 31 points
Kitchener - 29
Kingston - 23
Sault Ste. Marie - 23
North Bay - 19
Windsor - 19
Owen Sound - 18
Peterborough - 18
Flint - 17
Guelph - 17
Sudbury - 15
Erie - 12
Hamilton - 12
Saginaw - 12
Sarnia - 11
Mississauga - 8
Barrie - 7
Ottawa - 7
London - 4
Niagara - 4

Reactions: BehindSooNet

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I think we will see Hayton return. Arizona is playing really well with him out of the lineup. He has dressed for two games only. Why would they pull an older player out of a winning lineup to insert a 19 year old and blow the first year of a three year contract. Keeping him does not add up.
This is an insightful comment, and we really haven't discussed it much over here so I decided to bring the discussion back here.

Who would have guessed that Arizona would have gotten off to the start that they have, and particularly that Garland Dvorak Schmaltz would have found this much chemistry already (that's the most logical line that Hayton would slot into IMO). If Arizona keeps rolling and stays healthy, I think chances are increasingly looking like Hayton might be sent back.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Ethan Taylor seen some rubber and played well. I say he starts next game. Dean lights a fire under both goalies but especially Propp.

Might as well just run with Taylor until he proves to be the worse goalie (or Propp suddenly improves). One would hope that Malik comes over sooner rather than later and solves all of your problems. At that point you can release Propp and hope that the conditional pick did not convert (although it is likely based on him making the roster and is likely nothing more than a mid-round pick even if it did convert) and roll with Taylor and Malik. Then in the offseason you can deal Taylor to give him a starting opportunity elsewhere and give the backup job to one of the goalie prospects (likely a competition mainly between Luca Di Pasquo and Coulter Taylor with a few other long shots in the mix).

Reactions: Houndsfan22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->