SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Hayton hasn't been playing much in Arizona... Unless he really gets on a roll I could see him sent back before World Junior camp begins.
From what I have read, Hayton will stay with Arizona until world juniors and then sent back. Feel he will learn more there than in junior. Sent back because don’t won’t to waste a year on entry level contract.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
From what I have read, Hayton will stay with Arizona until world juniors and then sent back. Feel he will learn more there than in junior. Sent back because don’t won’t to waste a year on entry level contract.

To save a year on the ELC he cannot play in more than 9 games. Playing only 9 games out of there first approximately 40 games is not a good development plan. Some practice time is good, but you can't replicate game intensity in practice. Not saying it wont happen, but making a 19 year sit for 75 percent of the games isn't doing him any favors besides his bank account.

Reactions: HockeyPops

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
I guess no news on Malik? I’m assuming he’s still in the Czech Republic playing for that men’s team? Hopefully see him in the New Year like Pytlik last year?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I guess no news on Malik? I’m assuming he’s still in the Czech Republic playing for that men’s team? Hopefully see him in the New Year like Pytlik last year?

I know fragments of information regarding a complicated situation with the Greyhounds goalie situation and the Czech national team. It sounds like he does want to play here.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Well I hope it gets sorted because having him here for even half this season will pay dividends for him and this young team next year and the year after!

Reactions: Fischhaber

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
and the year after!
Are we expecting great things the year after next (2021-2022)? Right now we have ten '01s on the roster which means that after 2020-2021 season we graduate a minimum of 10 players (three '00s and seven '01s). I realize we should still have O'Rourke, Kerins, Dickinson, and possibly Malik, but I don't really view it as the second year of a two year window since the rest of the team will be quite young. My focus is this year and next. Does anyone see it differently?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Are we expecting great things the year after next (2021-2022)? Right now we have ten '01s on the roster which means that after 2020-2021 season we graduate a minimum of 10 players (three '00s and seven '01s). I realize we should still have O'Rourke, Kerins, Dickinson, and possibly Malik, but I don't really view it as the second year of a two year window since the rest of the team will be quite young. My focus is this year and next. Does anyone see it differently?

I see it the same way. We have 2 years with the league's best 01 core and we had better take advantage of it. The fact that Raftis keeps adding to that group paints a very clear picture of his intentions.

If Hayton comes back then this may be the year to go for it, but smart additions like Constantinou with 2 or 3 years left will only extend that window.

Honestly though, we have been to the second round for 6 or 7 straight years so we should expect the balanced approach to continue on the whole.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I see it the same way. We have 2 years with the league's best 01 core and we had better take advantage of it. The fact that Raftis keeps adding to that group paints a very clear picture of his intentions.

If Hayton comes back then this may be the year to go for it, but smart additions like Constantinou with 2 or 3 years left will only extend that window.

Honestly though, we have been to the second round for 6 or 7 straight years so we should expect the balanced approach to continue on the whole.

Certainly a large 2001 born group, but maybe not the best. Barrie & Flint have a very good group.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Certainly a large 2001 born group, but maybe not the best. Barrie & Flint have a very good group.

Quality vs quantity argument for Flint. Keppen, Morgan, Kolyachonok, and Oksentyuk are probably better than the Hounds top guys like Pytlik and MacKay.

They don't have much after those 4, while the Hounds have a lot of really good players. I can accept your premise, however.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Don't forget 3 OA's, Boudreau, Watson, Mufareh, Holmes, D'Intino( lighting it up in Strathroy as a 16 year old), Haluschak and potentially a big return on Barret Hayton. I am confident Raftis can make it more of a reload than rebuild in two years.

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
Something that's been on my mind recently - does anyone else miss the grey in the Hounds' uniform (jersey and socks)?

I grew up watching the Greyhounds' '90s Memorial Cup teams and Joe Thornton's first year as a Greyhound (until they switched to the cartoon dog for a few seasons). I don't identify with the red and white only jerseys and kinda really hope the grey is brought back at some point. I also like the black that was introduced later on that was worn during the Jeff Carter years, but I don't see that coming back anytime soon.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
These soft goals to start the game are a real killer, especially when Silovs made a few huge saves already and we had good momentum.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
first 15 minutes of the period were spent in the greyhounds end. good shift by johnston and kartye to change the momentum, leads to a powerplay.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
shortly after our extended 2 man advantage ends, barrie scores on a 2 on 1. :(
propp stopped the first shot, 2nd man wide open tap in.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Something that's been on my mind recently - does anyone else miss the grey in the Hounds' uniform (jersey and socks)?

I grew up watching the Greyhounds' '90s Memorial Cup teams and Joe Thornton's first year as a Greyhound (until they switched to the cartoon dog for a few seasons). I don't identify with the red and white only jerseys and kinda really hope the grey is brought back at some point. I also like the black that was introduced later on that was worn during the Jeff Carter years, but I don't see that coming back anytime soon.

Those were my favourite iterations of the jersey. They need to bring that back as a third. That, or the all black one (the one that had the Soo Greyhounds wordmark) but use the zoomed in greyhound that’s on the all red (former?) third from the last couple of years. The current sweaters are too Red Wingish to me

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
What is up with the starts to the periods? Coach Dean has to do a better job of having them ready to play.

Lots of lazy plays in the defensive end, missed assignments and weak goals that should be saves. It's all a mental problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad