SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I think the hounds will have to buy their way to elite status. To me. SSM appears closer to Sarnia than Flint or Windsor right now.

That may be the case. As cynical as I am about this team, I see a lot of potential for rolling a strong 4 line team next year.

I think Windsor could be one of the best teams in the league next year for sure and when I've criticized the hounds i've said "i don't know if the hounds will get past windsor next year"...

Flint on the other hand has 3 OA's and 9 x 2000's... So they're losing at least 9 players from this years squad...

They won't be in contention next year IMO but I could be wrong.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That may be the case. As cynical as I am about this team, I see a lot of potential for rolling a strong 4 line team next year.

I think Windsor could be one of the best teams in the league next year for sure and when I've criticized the hounds i've said "i don't know if the hounds will get past windsor next year"...

Flint on the other hand has 3 OA's and 9 x 2000's... So they're losing at least 9 players from this years squad...

They won't be in contention next year IMO but I could be wrong.

Instead of looking at what Flint loses, look at what Flint returns
OA - Wismer, Roberts, McCourt, Lalonde, Busby to keep or trade
19 - Kolyachonok, Oksentyuk, Cavillon, Keppen, Morgan, Pierce, and Gretz.
2-2002 born D that have not dressed since the deadline. 3 probable breakout forwards in Piercy, Othman, & Kressler. Plus, 3-2003 born 3rd round picked players. And of course 1st pick & SSM 2nd.
Flint will likely contend or pull off what Barrie did this past deadline.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
that may be true. and we have until next december or january to dissect it i guess. but if i'm a betting man looking at next years teams on paper, my money is on the hounds over flint.

i hope that isn't taken as homerism either, i try not to let emotion or pride cloud my judgement.

Reactions: dirty12

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
hounds bombing against sarnia today. tune in a few hours after game time to see a certain poster gaslighting about how we actually outplayed them and our defense is fine lol. good times. it's all i have to look forward to after a crappy performance ;)

Reactions: Bear54

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
I have to totally agree with Peter from the Sault Star that today was a total winnable game and the Hounds needed to grab a " W " in what was a critical tilt this afternoon.
Peter commented on the broadcast that the Hounds' performance was embarrassing and they played with no sense of urgency.

After putting in a very good performance on Friday against the 67s they had a total stinker today.

With their schedule moving forward, I almost feel that the Hounds will not make the playoffs and as mentioned in the broadcast if we can't beat Sarnia at home in such an important game for us, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Now moving forward they should seriously look at moving CALISTOV to the forward position and start looking for next season because after that performance they are not making it

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
What a disappointing team. Big game and come out flat. Are people dreaming that they think this will be a top contender next year. Need a shake up.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
What a disappointing team. Big game and come out flat. Are people dreaming that they think this will be a top contender next year. Need a shake up.

This is a league where that extra year of experience had an expontial payoff. How you perform this season shouldn't be a major factor in projecting what you should be in the future. A lot of good pieces for you guys and I'd wager that it'll be between you and Windsor for the division next season.

Reactions: shot caller

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
I just hope Fisch does not get on the goalie bashing again. Number of shots against is not always the true indicator. Often its quality. Sunday Sarnia had three breakaways and six 2 on 1s in the second period alone. And it was 3-2 in the third period. That's how the year has been for the goalies.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
I just hope Fisch does not get on the goalie bashing again. Number of shots against is not always the true indicator. Often its quality. Sunday Sarnia had three breakaways and six 2 on 1s in the second period alone. And it was 3-2 in the third period. That's how the year has been for the goalies.
I agree with you 100%.
I saw one goal that I thought Malik should have had yesterday. The 4th goal, he opened up the far side and exposed a large portion of the net. Yet, that will happen in a game. A goalie will let a puck in the net. What also happens is a goalie will get scored on. Understanding the subtle difference between letting a goal in or getting scored on is key. The defensive collapsing and breakdowns were absolutely paramount in contributing to the back door plays that resulted in goals a majority of Sarnia’s goals.

I though Malik played outstanding yesterday. Considering the circumstance and his age/experience level, this kid is a stud and will end up saving our a$$ more times than not. Based on his starts, I would make a claim that he most likely is not 100% adjusted to the speed that is generated from the talent in this league playing on a significantly smaller ice surface.
One could make it all about the 4 that Sarnia put on the board, I like to focus on the 4-5 Malik kept off of it.

In no way am I an expert. However, what I see (as a team) is the very definition of inexperience. We have deficiencies in many areas but I don’t get too worried about it based on the overall youth of this team. Are there players that are weaker and cause more trouble than they should? For sure! For the most part, there is a core of youth that exhibits a lack of experience as regular as the sunrise. Play against Ottawa and play a complete game against a team that beat you - we accept the loss because Ottawa beat us. Sarnia comes along and it’s as if the training wheels have to be put back on in a game against a team that won because we beat ourselves. That inconsistency has a ton to do with experience and reliability that we simply don’t have.

Hence the reason why I agree with many when people predict us to be an absolute contender next season. The ability is there, and next year (in a world where 1 season makes a critical difference) the experience level/decision making will also be present.

Reactions: HockeyPops

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Number of shots against is not always the true indicator. Often its quality.
This stands true for shots for as well. I sit in the north side where I watch the hounds shoot twice. 26 or 28 shots on net. I would be hesitant to gauge a third of those as quality shots.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
This stands true for shots for as well. I sit in the north side where I watch the hounds shoot twice. 26 or 28 shots on net. I would be hesitant to gauge a third of those as quality shots.
However, on Sunday it was two of the non quality shots that counted on the scoreboard.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
However, on Sunday it was two of the non quality shots that counted on the scoreboard.
True.

Makes me think what could have been if we had half a dozen or more quality chances.

My point was to speak to the claims that shots on net equal success. Of course it may equal success - we can submit to the old “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” line but one cannot simply say that we should be winning because we had 30+ shots each and every night. The narrative cannot stopped there.
The probability is that a team will score more with the more shots they take but the quality is a variable that needs to be involved.

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
The lack of effort in the 1st period was heartbreaking for me to watch. We needed a win against a team we should be able to beat. Especially when it counts! Beyond the defense looking like swiss cheese, the entire team defense was terrible yesterday. Far too many players watching instead of playing defense. I agree, time to shake it up.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Theres no point in changes now but I would not enter next season with the same defense.

Calisti and Constantinou are similar players. I'd keep one of the two and look for an upgrade to play with O'Rourke. IMO we will have offensive depth next year but I haven't seen much progression from our veteran D beyond #21.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
O'Rourke continues to be our rock back there. For me, I like what Constantinou has been bringing in the top 4. LeGuerrier has had his share of trouble adapting to the new system but I am hopeful that most of the growing pains are behind him. Holmes has been looking more and more comfortable in the second half of the season. To me, those are our top 4 going into next year unless we add in the off season.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
O'Rourke continues to be our rock back there. For me, I like what Constantinou has been bringing in the top 4. LeGuerrier has had his share of trouble adapting to the new system but I am hopeful that most of the growing pains are behind him. Holmes has been looking more and more comfortable in the second half of the season. To me, those are our top 4 going into next year unless we add in the off season.

If we want to go that direction, I think that some team would pay up big for Calisti in the offseason. That could be in the form of a top flight forward or a bunch of picks, but I think that we could consider a move.

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
NHL trade deadline day wrapped up. Alot of former OHLers moved. Including some former Greyhounds like, Simmonds, Lehner, Cousins and Ritchie that come to my memory.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
If we want to go that direction, I think that some team would pay up big for Calisti in the offseason. That could be in the form of a top flight forward or a bunch of picks, but I think that we could consider a move.

Several people on here have said Constantinou and Calisti are very similar type players and the same age.

Constantinou went for 3+2 4ths. Unless you consider that "paying up big" I don't think you're going to get what you think for Calisti

Reactions: dirty12

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Several people on here have said Constantinou and Calisti are very similar type players and the same age.

Constantinou went for 3+2 4ths. Unless you consider that "paying up big" I don't think you're going to get what you think for Calisti

They are similar now but they weren't at the time of the trade. Constantinou was coming off of a disastrous run with the Frontenacs and they sold extremely low on him.

I think that the Liam Ham trade is a better recent example to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad