SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
At this time of the year when you are fighting for your playoff life and have 2 very crucial games against the last place Sarnia Sting these are MUST games to win. The Hounds unfortunately went 0 for 2 and do not deserve to make the playoffs. Enough said!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Goal Share Project (cont'd)

On the OHL website, we can readily see from the Plus / Minus stats that Jacob LeGuerrier is a -1, and Billy Constantinou is a -16 (-9 with the Soo, and -7 with Kingston). Even if you take this stat with a grain of salt, I would be hard pressed to convince you that Billy is more dependable than Jacob when it comes to even strength goals. Or would I.

Here is a breakdown of the goals scored for and against while Billy was on the ice playing for the Soo this year. Below that is a breakdown of the same for Jacob.

Constantinou:
Goals For:
A) Even Strength: 47
B) Even Strength with extra attacker: 1
C) Even Strength on empty net: 1
D) Powerplay: 25
E) Shorthanded for: 0

Goals Against:
F) Even Strength: 46
G) Even Strength with extra attacker: 0
H) Even Strength on empty net: 8
I) Penalty Kill: 2
J) Shorthanded against: 3
K) Shorthanded with empty net against: 1

Plus / Minus calculates it as A + B + C + E - (F + G + H + J + K) = -9
For Even Strength Goal Share I calculate it as A - F = +1

LeGuerrier:
Goals For:
A) Even Strength: 62
C) Even Strength on empty net: 7
D) Powerplay: 6
E) Shorthanded for: 4

Goals Against:
F) Even Strength: 73
H) Even Strength on empty net: 2
I) Penalty Kill: 41
J) Shorthanded against: 0
K) Shorthanded with empty net against: 0

Plus / Minus calculates it as A + B + C + E - (F + G + H + J + K) = -1
For Even Strength Goal Share I calculate it as A - F = -11

As you can see, Billy's plus/minus suffers because he was on the ice for 8 empty net goals against as well as 4 shorties against. In stark contrast, Jacob's plus/minus is inflated by being on for 7 empty netters for and 4 shorties for. This is a result of their usage; Jacob in defensive situations (PK/holding a lead late), and Billy in offensive situations (down a goal late, powerplay).

Shorthanded goals for and against are important to account for, but I would argue they are better accounted for when looking at powerplay / penalty kill efficiency. Empty net goals for/against shouldn't be factored into a stat like Plus / Minus in my opinion, and so in fairness I don't believe goals scored with an extra attacker out should be counted either.

Bottom line: I think Constantinou has been much better than many here have been giving him credit for. In fact, he has been the 3rd best defenseman for goal share, and once you factor in Holmes' sheltered minutes, I would say hands down has been our second best defenseman behind O'Rourke.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016

On the OHL website, we can readily see from the Plus / Minus stats that Jacob LeGuerrier is a -1, and Billy Constantinou is a -16 (-9 with the Soo, and -7 with Kingston). Even if you take this stat with a grain of salt, I would be hard pressed to convince you that Billy is more dependable than Jacob when it comes to even strength goals. Or would I.

Here is a breakdown of the goals scored for and against while Billy was on the ice playing for the Soo this year. Below that is a breakdown of the same for Jacob.

Constantinou:
Goals For:

Goals Against:

LeGuerrier:
Goals For:

Goals Against:

As you can see, Billy's plus/minus suffers because he was on the ice for 8 empty net goals against as well as 4 shorties against. In stark contrast, Jacob's plus/minus is inflated by being on for 7 empty netters for and 4 shorties for. This is a result of their usage; Jacob in defensive situations (PK/holding a lead late), and Billy in offensive situations (down a goal late, powerplay).

Shorthanded goals for and against are important to account for, but I would argue they are better accounted for when looking at powerplay / penalty kill efficiency. Empty net goals for/against shouldn't be factored into a stat like Plus / Minus in my opinion, and so in fairness I don't believe goals scored with an extra attacker out should be counted either.

Bottom line: I think Constantinou has been much better than many here have been giving him credit for. In fact, he has been the 3rd best defenseman for goal share, and once you factor in Holmes' sheltered minutes, I would say hands down has been our second best defenseman behind O'Rourke.
Interesting except is does not factor in Leguerriere playing against the opponents top offensive players night in and night out. Not sure how you could ever do that.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

Constantinou:
Goals For:

Goals Against:

LeGuerrier:
Goals For:

Goals Against:

Wonder how much this is affected by offensive zone starts vs defensive zone starts, if someone is being sheltered more

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Wonder how much this is affected by offensive zone starts vs defensive zone starts, if someone is being sheltered more

IMO it is impossible to deduce a ton from any stat without looking at all the supporting stats.

Zone starts, quality of competition, quality of linemates, deployment strategy and Time On Ice etc. all have to be considerations for any "individual" stats.

It doesn't mean the individual stat is useless, it just means you can't make absolute statements about a player without considering all the factors contributing to the data.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Looking forward to tonight's game in Sudbury. Really hoping to see Holmes back in the lineup, and hopefully paired with Wawrow.

Also, I would like to see Boudreau get another shot playing with Johnston and Peca. Those three have been on the ice for 9 even strength goals this season - 5 for and 4 against. Something isn't quite working with Dickinson on that third line with Johnston and Peca, and it shows as they have only scored 4 while giving up 8 against.

Boudreau - Johnston - Peca even strength goals
11/13/2019 goal #1 - for
11/15/2019 goal #3 - against
11/21/2019 goal #7 - for
11/22/2019 goal #2 - for
11/22/2019 goal #4 - against
11/30/2019 goal #1 - for
11/30/2019 goal #4 - against
11/30/2019 goal #6 - against
12/28/2019 goal #5 - for

Dickinson - Johnston - Peca even strength goals
10/27/2019 goal #9 - against
11/24/2019 goal #4 - for
11/30/2019 goal #3 - against
12/1/2019 goal #9 - for
12/8/2019 goal #1 - for
12/11/2019 goal #6 - for
1/18/2020 goal #3- against
1/26/2020 goal #4- against
2/2/2020 goal #3- against
2/5/2020 goal #8- against
2/23/2020 goal #1- against
2/27/2020 goal #2- against

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
With the OHL draft soon approaching and with next year in mind, I took the time to look at how some of our prospects are doing. I’ve looked at the big names as well as most of the prospects that attended in 2019. Should any of these players join the team next season, they would be playing in the age year that is between the brackets above them. IE, John Beecher would be in his 19 year campaign next season and that would be his final year of eligibility (not including OA seasons). I’ve also included the likelihood these players would come next season if he hounds brass extended the offer (although things can always change).

Top Prospects

2017 OHL Draft (19 Year Campaign)

John Beecher (F) 6’3, 210lbs
29GP, 7G, 7A, 14Pts, 29 PIM, +5.
NCAA (U of Michigan)
John finished the season tied for 5th on the team in points (2nd of the players his age of younger) while the team finished 3rd in their conference and will begin the quarterfinals of their conference March 6th. John has not attended a Soo Greyhounds event. /Unlikely/

Cole Caufield (F) 5’7, 165lbs
34GP, 19G, 17A, 36Pts, 6PIM, +1.
NCAA (U of Wisconsin)
Cole finished the season 1st on the team in points and 2nd in the league for players his age or younger. Wisconsin finished last in their conference and had a 14-18-2 record overall. Wisconsin also begins their quarterfinals for the conference tournament March 6th. Cole has not attended a Soo Greyhounds event. /Unlikely/

2018 OHL Draft (18 Year Campaign)

Tyson Tomasini (F) 5’11, 150lbs
53GP, 12G, 26A, 38Pts, 20PIM.
CCHL (Nepean Raiders)
Nearing the end of the season (2 games remaining), Tyson sits 2nd on the team in points and 1st among players his age or younger. Nepean sits dead last in the CCHL by a long shot. Tyson was traded by Pembroke to Nepean near the start of the season. Tyson attended the 2019 training camp and played the red-white game. He was reassigned after the game. /Probable/

Finn Brown (F) 6’4, 190lbs
53GP, 29G, 25A, 54Pts, 20PIM.
OJHL (St. Michael’s)
St. Michael’s finished third in their division and are currently in the OJHL playoffs awaiting their next opponent after going 4-0 in round 1. Finn added 1G-3A for 4Pts and 0PIM in round 1. In the regular season Finn was 5th on the team in points (3rd his age or younger). So far in the playoffs Finn is 5th on the team in points (3rd his age or younger). Finn attended the Greyhounds 2018 camp and Red-White Game but didn’t not attend either in 2019. Finn recently verbally committed to playing NCAA Div 1 hockey (RPI) starting in 2021-2022. /Unlikely/

2019 OHL Draft (17 Year Campaign)

Jordan D’Intino (F) 6’1, 175lbs
39GP, 16G, 16A, 32Pts, 24PIM.
GOJHL (Strathroy Rockets)
Strathroy finished 6th in their conference and are currently in the first round of the playoffs (down 1-3). Jordan has no points or PIMs in the 4 playoff games. During the season Jordan finished 4th on the team in points (3rd his age or younger). Jordan attended the 2019 training camp and Red-White game and was reassigned after the game. /Probable/

Owen Parsons (F) 6’0, 130lbs
35GP, 15G, 26A, 41Pts, 30PIM.
AHMPL (Waterloo Wolves Midget AAA)
Waterloo finished first in the league settings a new record for most points in a season with 66 out of a possible 70 points earned. Waterloo lost in the semi finals however made their way to the 2020 OHL cup which begins March 17th. Owen finished tied for 1st on the team in points during the regular season and added 4 assists in 7 playoff games. Owen participated in the 2019 training camp and red-white game and was reassigned after the game. /Probable/

Luc Brzustowski (D) 6’0, 170lbs
48GP, 5G, 3A, 8Pts, 24PIM.
GOJHL (Kitchener Dutchmen)
Kitchener finished second in their conference in the regular season and are awaiting their next opponent after going 4-1 in the first round of the GOJHL playoffs. During the regular season Luc finished 5th in defencemen for scoring on his team (1st his age or younger) and has played 1 playoff game with no stats so far. Luc was present for the 2019 training camp but did not play in the Red-White game. /Probable/

Coulter Taylor (G) 6’4, 150lbs
6GP, 0-5-1, 5.18GAA, .854SV%.
CISAA (UCC)
UCC finished second last in the CISAA games this season and Coulter struggled in league play. Jeremy Bello (19yrs) won 2 games and lost 3 for UCC. Stats are unavailable for games outside of league play. Coulter attended the Greyhounds 2019 training camp and played the Red-White game. He was reassigned following the game. /Probable/

Luke Haymes (F) 5’11, 170lbs
17GP, 6G, 15A, 21Pts, 6PIM.
MPHL (Ridley College)
Ridley has earned the top spot in their division during the regular season and won the MPHL Championship. Luke finished 3rd on the team in points (2nd his age or younger). Luke finished tied for 4th in the league scoring for players his age or younger. He has been called up the CISAA for Ridley college. Luke participated in the 2019 training camp and the Red-White game before being reassigned following the game. /Questionable/

Rhys Chiddenton (F) 5’10, 160lbs
51 GP, 5G, 15A, 20Pts, 32PIM.
NOJHL/OJHL (Timmins/Georgetown)
Rhys started the season in Timmins and halfway through the year got sent to the Georgetown Raiders. Georgetown finished second last in their division and we’re swept 4-0 in the first round of the OJHL playoffs. Despite playing in only 28 games for Georgetown, Rhys finished second in points among players his age or younger. Rhys attended the 2019 training camp and played the Red-White game before being reassigned afterwards. /Probable/

Hunter Brown (D) 6’2, 205lbs
41 GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts, 16PIM.
HEOMAAA (Kemptville Midget AAA)
Hunter finished 3rd in defencemen scoring on his team during the regular season (2nd his age or younger). Kemptville finished 2nd in their division and will take on OHA Gold’s midget AAA as tournament play begins March 6th for Kemptville. Hunter attended the 2019 training camp and played the red-white game before being reassigned. /Probable/

Tyler Savard (F) 6’2, 170lbs
43GP, 19G, 31A, 50Pts, 45PIM.
NOJHL (Soo Thunderbirds)
During the regular season Tyler finished second on the team in scoring (2nd his age or younger) and third in league scoring (third his age or younger). The thunderbirds finished third in their division and play game 1 of round 1 vs the Blind River Beavers on March 12th.
Tyler attended the 2019 training camp and red-white game before being reassigned to the NOJHL following the game. /Probable/

Luca Di Pasquo (G) 6’1, 180lbs
10GP, 2.73GAA, .910SV%
HPHL (Honeybaked U16)
Luca finished second in the league in save percentage (2nd his age or younger) and was one of only four goaltenders to play over 10 games. Honeybaked U16 would go on to win the championship. Luca then moved to midget with Honeybaked U16 and played 17 more games finishing with a 2.93 GAA and a .919SV%. Luca attended the 2019 training camp and red-white game before being reassigned. /Probable/

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
@Marj44 great update. I took the liberty of linking to your post from the Prospects Tracker post (3rd post in this thread, and linked to from GarnettPalmetto's pinned post at the top of each page).

Reactions: Marj44

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Magic number for the Hounds is 9.5
As in, # of Erie losses plus # of Hounds wins needs to be at least 9.5 to tie Erie in the standings (the half point is an OT/SO loss). Both teams have 7 games remaining.

Remember a tie for the last playoff spot results in a one game tie breaker prior to the start of the playoffs.

Go Hounds!

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015
As in, # of Erie losses plus # of Hounds wins needs to be at least 9.5 to tie Erie in the standings (the half point is an OT/SO loss). Both teams have 7 games remaining.

Remember a tie for the last playoff spot results in a one game tie breaker prior to the start of the playoffs.

Go Hounds!

While I remain hopeful that the Hounds will make the playoffs, Erie has a slightly easier schedule (playing Niagara, Kingston and Sarnia one time each).

Anyway, the Sault's first cannabis store just opened today so if we are out of the playoffs, at least I have a place to go to find some comfort ...

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Also, I would like to see Boudreau get another shot playing with Johnston and Peca. Those three have been on the ice for 9 even strength goals this season - 5 for and 4 against. Something isn't quite working with Dickinson on that third line with Johnston and Peca, and it shows as they have only scored 4 while giving up 8 against.
Shows you what I know lol. Dickinson line on for 2 goals for and none against so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarantula

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015
Shows you what I know lol. Dickinson line on for 2 goals for and none against do far.

Funny how things work sometime - Robert Calisti was +3, the best on the team.

Nice to see Cole McKay get on the score sheet after having been blanked for 8 games.

Let's hope the team carries this energy into tomorrow night's game.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
To bad we are not in the eastern conference with Sudbury. We would be battling for a division championship. What a joke the division that Sudbury is in and their fans think they have a good team lol.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

Go Hounds!
Magic number now 8.5 with 13 combined games left. Both teams in action tonight.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Hayton's Path to the Coyotes' AHL Affiliate
BY LOUIS PANNONE MARCH 7TH, 2020

By now, it’s likely that both the Arizona Coyotes organization and its fans are very familiar with the restrictions of the Canadian Hockey League/National Hockey League (CHL/NHL) transfer agreement.
You know, the rule that meant players like Max Domi, Dylan Strome, and others had to go back to their junior clubs even though they clearly were ready to step up and begin their professional careers in the American Hockey League? That’s the result of the CHL/NHL transfer agreement.
According to the agreement, NHL prospects in their age-18 or age-19 seasons that have been drafted from Canadian major-junior clubs are not eligible for AHL competition until their junior club’s season has been completed.
The transfer agreement encompasses a large number of players every year – the CHL, which consists of the 20-team Ontario Hockey League (OHL), the 22-team Western Hockey League (WHL), and the 18-team Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL), produced 28 of the 62 players selected in the first and second rounds of the 2019 draft.
Why the Rule?

The reasons for this transfer agreement are many – if every major-junior prospect was eligible for play in the AHL upon turning 18, it’s probable that most high-end players would elect to begin their professional careers immediately after being drafted. As a result, the level of competition in the CHL would decrease, and major-junior teams might see drops in attendance and revenue as a result. The major-junior product, comprised of the OHL, WHL, and QMJHL regular seasons, playoffs, and Memorial Cup, as well as the World Junior Championships, would suffer due to the drop-off in talent.

The AHL itself has no age limit – anyone aged 18 or older can play in the league. The age restriction for major-junior prospects is borne solely out of the CHL’s desire to protect its product. For the most part, it works – the vast majority of 18 and 19-year-old major-junior players aren’t ready to make the jump to professional hockey, and the extra two years of CHL hockey are a better development route than playing (and likely struggling) against grown men in the AHL.
For some players, though, the CHL/NHL transfer agreement is a hindrance. If a prospect has just come off of a dominating major-junior season but can’t quite crack his NHL club’s roster to start the year, he’s forced to either sit in the press box as a regular healthy scratch with limited ice time, or go back to the CHL for another year, where he likely has nothing left to prove and can’t benefit from the tutelage of his professional club’s coaching staff and teammates.
We previously mentioned players like Strome and Domi who were affected by this rule. In Domi’s case, he posted 93 points in 61 games in 2013-14, but was one of the last players cut from Arizona’s training camp in 2014-15. He returned to the OHL’s London Knights and posted 102 points in 57 regular-season games while playing with Mitch Marner and Christian Dvorak.
Had he been playing AHL hockey with the organization, Domi likely would have earned a late-season call-up to the dreadful 2014-15 Coyotes squad which won just 24 games. Instead, then-general manager Don Maloney resorted to using forwards like B.J. Crombeen, Tye McGinn, Brandon McMillan, and Dave Moss in regular roles down the stretch. Surely, Maloney could have found a spot in the lineup for Domi had he been available.
For Strome, he dominated the OHL with 129 points in 68 games in 2015-16, but clearly wasn’t ready for the NHL as a 19-year-old in 2016-17. He started the year with the Coyotes, but lasted just seven games before being optioned back to the Erie Otters. There, he was barely challenged, posting 75 points in 35 regular-season games, 34 points in 22 playoff contests, and 11 points in 5 Memorial Cup games.
Both players likely would have benefitted immensely from starting the year with the Coyotes’ AHL affiliate with the chance to be promoted to the NHL later in the season based on their play, but the option was unavailable due to the transfer agreement.
Ultimately, both players are no longer in the Coyotes organization – Domi was traded to the Montreal Canadiens for Alex Galchenyuk on June 16, 2018, after regressing following a stellar rookie season, while Strome never developed into a reliable NHL player during his time in the desert and was sent to the Chicago Blackhawks on Nov. 25, 2018, in exchange for Nick Schmaltz. One has to wonder how differently the Coyotes’ careers of Strome and Domi would have unfolded had they been developing in the organization as 19-year-olds.
The Barrett Hayton Question

One player who has been impacted by the transfer agreement in the present day is Arizona’s 2018 first-round pick, Barrett Hayton. Like Strome and Domi, Hayton posted a massively successful age-18 campaign in junior hockey, with 66 points across 39 regular-season contests and 16 points in 11 playoff games. Like Strome and Domi, Hayton has nothing left to prove in junior hockey, but is unable to play in the AHL.
Instead of sending him back to the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds for another season in the OHL, the Coyotes elected to keep Hayton on the NHL roster. His Coyotes career began on a promising note, as he recorded four points in his first six games in Arizona. Since then, though, he’s seemingly hit a wall – he endured an eight-game pointless streak from Nov. 4 to Nov. 29, whereupon he was loaned to Hockey Canada for the 2020 World Junior Championship.
Barrett-Hayton-Coyotes-575x374.jpg

Barrett Hayton hasn’t done much on the offensive end of the ice in the NHL since the season’s opening month. (Timothy T. Ludwig-USA TODAY Sports)
As Captain Canada, Hayton dominated the tournament – he posted 6 goals and 6 assists in 7 games and notably scored a late game-tying goal in the gold medal game against Russia just one day after suffering a separated shoulder in the semifinals against Finland. Hayton then missed a month as he recovered from the injury, and enjoyed a successful five-game AHL conditioning stint before returning to the Coyotes.
However, since rejoining the NHL club, Hayton’s struggles have resumed. His pointless streak is now at 14 games after the Coyotes’ loss to the Calgary Flames on Friday night, and the 19-year-old played just 5:56 in that contest, including only two shifts encompassing a total of 1:28 over the game’s final 32 minutes.
With the Western Conference playoff race tightening by the day and points being at a premium, it might behoove head coach Rick Tocchet to replace Hayton in the lineup with either Christian Fischer or Michael Grabner, who both have the ability to record points in the NHL while also contributing in the defensive zone.
Is Hayton Better Off in the AHL?

As we previously discussed, players who are sent back to their junior teams as 18 or 19-year-olds are eligible to return to their NHL organization once their junior season has concluded. In years past, both Strome and Domi experienced considerable individual and team success upon their return to the OHL. As a result, neither completed play with their junior team prior to the completion of the NHL or AHL seasons, and, therefore, they did not return to the Coyotes organization until the following year.
In Hayton’s case, the Greyhounds have struggled mightily in 2019-20 without him on the roster. At the end of play on Friday, the club found themselves in ninth place in the Western Conference standings, three points back of the eighth-place Erie Otters with one more game played. Only the top eight teams in each conference qualify for the J. Ross Robertson Cup Playoffs, so there’s a chance that Sault Ste. Marie’s season will end when their final regular-season game is played on March 22.
Here’s where the restrictions of the CHL/NHL transfer agreement start to subside. If the Greyhounds do not qualify for the playoffs, Hayton will become eligible to play in the AHL on March 23. At that point, the Coyotes will have just six regular-season games remaining. If they’re still in playoff contention, and Hayton is still struggling, they need to send him down to the Tucson Roadrunners for further development.
The benefits of such a move are numerous. For Hayton, he’d have the chance to play meaningful top-six minutes and earn valuable postseason experience with the Calder Cup-contending Roadrunners instead of playing six minutes a night in the NHL. For the Coyotes, they’d be able to insert either Grabner or Fischer into the lineup for the stretch run. Goals have been hard to come by for the club this season, and both players have shown an ability to get on the scoresheet, with 14 combined goals this season.
The CHL/NHL transfer agreement generally does not work in NHL teams’ favor when it comes to optioning prospects to the AHL, but there’s an opening here for Barrett Hayton to play in the AHL as a 19-year-old. The Coyotes need to take advantage of this opportunity and get Hayton the top-six AHL minutes he needs while also getting a veteran back in the lineup for the stretch run.

partner
sync
partner

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Good article, except no mention of the reason he only played 5:56 last night - the ref elbowed him in the face and he left for half the game before returning late in the third. Yes, I said the ref.

Reactions: PuckLife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad