SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
To bad we are not in the eastern conference with Sudbury. We would be battling for a division championship. What a joke the division that Sudbury is in and their fans think they have a good team lol.
Y’a this is rich. How long have you been watching hockey? Yes the Hounds play in a tougher conference but the Wolves just came off a big game on the road the night before where they may have locked up the division. Sorry if they couldn’t get that fired up to play a team out of the playoff picture. Add to that the Hounds were playing desperate hockey. Also watch the game again. Malik is the only reason the game turned the way it did.

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
Y’a this is rich. How long have you been watching hockey? Yes the Hounds play in a tougher conference but the Wolves just came off a big game on the road the night before where they may have locked up the division. Sorry if they couldn’t get that fired up to play a team out of the playoff picture. Add to that the Hounds were playing desperate hockey. Also watch the game again. Malik is the only reason the game turned the way it did.
True that. Malik kept them in the game

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Magic number for the Hounds is 9.5
As in, # of Erie losses plus # of Hounds wins needs to be at least 9.5 to tie Erie in the standings (the half point is an OT/SO loss). Both teams have 7 games remaining.

Remember a tie for the last playoff spot results in a one game tie breaker prior to the start of the playoffs.

Go Hounds!
Magic number 7.5 with 11 combined games remaining. Erie plays Saginaw tomorrow, and the Hounds play Flint on Wednesday.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
We scored 7.

If you’re implying that without Malik, we would have lost 8-7, then sure.
Last word on this but you are familiar with how games can turn because of outstanding goaltending right? The Wolves could have been up by several goals then it a different game. They can easily out score the Soo unless as in this case their goalie stands on his head. If you think the score was indicative of the game you weren’t watching.Il give the hounds credit for playing very hard.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Magic number for the Hounds is 9.5
As in, # of Erie losses plus # of Hounds wins needs to be at least 9.5 to tie Erie in the standings (the half point is an OT/SO loss). Both teams have 7 games remaining.

Remember a tie for the last playoff spot results in a one game tie breaker prior to the start of the playoffs.

Go Hounds!
Magic number 6.5 with 10 combined games left, after Erie's loss today. Next action Wed, Flint @ Soo.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
A Winning Habit: Cole Caufield’s College Career Could Come to a Close Tonight.
Cole Caufield’s College Career Could Come to a Close Tonight
This is a very important situation to monitor. Wisconsin is now eliminated so Caufield is done for the season. Next year Wisconsin does not project to be much better than they did this season. Does he sign and go NHL/AHL to help Laval now and then GM Bergevin reassigns him to SSM for next season? Wishful thinking but plausible...

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Bottom 3 teams in the east all played today and had a combined goals for - goals against of 1 - 28. Bottom 3 in the west? Sarnia leading 2-1, Soo won last night, and Erie lost by a goal today 3-4.

I know it's only a one game shapshot, but there should be no question as to the relative depth of each conference this season.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Bottom 3 teams in the east all played today and had a combined goals for - goals against of 1 - 28. Bottom 3 in the west? Sarnia leading 2-1, Soo won last night, and Erie lost by a goal today 3-4.

I know it's only a one game shapshot, but there should be no question as to the relative depth of each conference this season.

After last year's blip where the East was even, the West is again vastly superior as it has been for the entire millennium. It's clear that 9 of the top 13 teams are in the West and it's fair to wonder if it's more.

Oshawa has only 1 win in 6 with a -9 goal differential against us, Sarnia, and Erie.

Sudbury has 4 wins in 10 with a -13 goal differential against those same teams.

Nobody would be shocked if either team (or both) missed the playoffs in this Conference, but they are in line for home playoff seeds in the East.

Reactions: 7D442

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
This is a very important situation to monitor. Wisconsin is now eliminated so Caufield is done for the season. Next year Wisconsin does not project to be much better than they did this season. Does he sign and go NHL/AHL to help Laval now and then GM Bergevin reassigns him to SSM for next season? Wishful thinking but plausible...

He won't be coming to the Soo. He has nothing to gain personally and Montreal has nothing to benefit from sending him here. He will go pro or stay where he is.. Which is also basically his home rink, playing with his brother...

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
He won't be coming to the Soo. He has nothing to gain personally and Montreal has nothing to benefit from sending him here. He will go pro or stay where he is.. Which is also basically his home rink, playing with his brother...
While I believe the chances are slim, you’re telling me there’s no way he ends up in SSM at any point next season?
Cole has stated he wants to go pro ASAP and that’s always been his intention. Canadiens GM Bergevin thinks he needs more time in junior/college and has stated the AHL might be difficult for Cole cause it’s a men’s league.

Lets say this week Cole decides he wants to sign and go pro. Bergevin has stated he won’t stop him from doing so. Cole plays in Laval for the regular season and playoffs. Two outcomes; he excels and plays great against men much bigger than him or he struggles adapting and is either mediocre or bad.
Fast forward to September, he’s now ineligible for NCAA. If he excelled then you keep him in Laval. But if he struggled or didn’t adapt well, or if he struggles at the start of next season, maybe you look at SSM.

Canadiens get to develop him in the CHL and I’m sure they can slide his ELC while Cole gets to play lots of hockey on a great team against players his age and a little more his size.

Reactions: HockeyPops

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
While I believe the chances are slim, you’re telling me there’s no way he ends up in SSM at any point next season?
Cole has stated he wants to go pro ASAP and that’s always been his intention. Canadiens GM Bergevin thinks he needs more time in junior/college and has stated the AHL might be difficult for Cole cause it’s a men’s league.

Lets say this week Cole decides he wants to sign and go pro. Bergevin has stated he won’t stop him from doing so. Cole plays in Laval for the regular season and playoffs. Two outcomes; he excels and plays great against men much bigger than him or he struggles adapting and is either mediocre or bad.
Fast forward to September, he’s now ineligible for NCAA. If he excelled then you keep him in Laval. But if he struggled or didn’t adapt well, or if he struggles at the start of next season, maybe you look at SSM.

Canadiens get to develop him in the CHL and I’m sure they can slide his ELC while Cole gets to play lots of hockey on a great team against players his age and a little more his size.

While that is something that can happen, I would imagine Cole wouldn't agree to sign and turn pro without the guarantee of playing in the AHL at minimum. I have no information, just pure speculation.. I can't see him wanting to adjust to 3 or 4 different leagues potentially as a way of development. Play at home, with and in front of family or turn pro would likely be his two options. The pro game could be NHL or AHL.. But the way Montreal is trending in terms of a rebuild I would imagine they may just opt to keep him where he is and avoid having another situation like the do with Kotkaniemi. Montreal and Canadian markets in general tend to have almost no patience with allowing prospects to develop.

Maybe we win the Memorial Cup bid.. Maybe Cole wants to be a part of that, maybe Montreal agrees. I just don't see it. Also why he slipped so far in the draft even with his skill, the big markets like London, Windsor and Kitchener likely did their home work also and figured there is zero chance he leaves Wisconsin unless it's the big leagues.

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007
While that is something that can happen, I would imagine Cole wouldn't agree to sign and turn pro without the guarantee of playing in the AHL at minimum. I have no information, just pure speculation.. I can't see him wanting to adjust to 3 or 4 different leagues potentially as a way of development. Play at home, with and in front of family or turn pro would likely be his two options. The pro game could be NHL or AHL.. But the way Montreal is trending in terms of a rebuild I would imagine they may just opt to keep him where he is and avoid having another situation like the do with Kotkaniemi. Montreal and Canadian markets in general tend to have almost no patience with allowing prospects to develop.

Maybe we win the Memorial Cup bid.. Maybe Cole wants to be a part of that, maybe Montreal agrees. I just don't see it. Also why he slipped so far in the draft even with his skill, the big markets like London, Windsor and Kitchener likely did their home work also and figured there is zero chance he leaves Wisconsin unless it's the big leagues.
American players of that caliber with NCAA commitments fall in the draft every single season. Teams pick them late and every once in a while it works out. Caufield does have some family connections in the Soo as well which doesn’t hurt.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
American players of that caliber with NCAA commitments fall in the draft every single season. Teams pick them late and every once in a while it works out. Caufield does have some family connections in the Soo as well which doesn’t hurt.

It has worked out before, and lately has worked for us I do agree. Just staying my personal opinion that I would put it at a very minimal chance.. Once again, not like I have any inside information. Just going on speculation from articles I've read about Caulfield, and his connections.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

depending on how it plays out, he may be in the ahl quicker by staying in the ncaa next year. wisconsin is now out an he could sign in early march and jump right into the ahl, where as if the greyhounds are hosting the memorial cup, hed be locked into the chl until late may and probably miss the ahl playoffs.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
I
depending on how it plays out, he may be in the ahl quicker by staying in the ncaa next year. wisconsin is now out an he could sign in early march and jump right into the ahl, where as if the greyhounds are hosting the memorial cup, hed be locked into the chl until late may and probably miss the ahl playoffs.
In the scenario I explained he would play in the AHL next week. But yes I understand what you’re saying. All depends on how Caufield and Bergevin see his development.
All I’m saying is that Soo fans should glance at this topic here and there.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I

In the scenario I explained he would play in the AHL next week. But yes I understand what you’re saying. All depends on how Caufield and Bergevin see his development.
All I’m saying is that Soo fans should glance at this topic here and there.

the moment he goes to the chl hes locked into the chl for the year, i dont think hed want to eliminate the opportunity to move up, especially given the soo may have a long run next year and may last longer then the ahl season. i dont see why hed do it is all.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
i dont see why hed do it is all.
The scenario that Marj44 painted was:
1) Caufield goes to AHL for this year's playoffs. This makes him ineligible for NCAA next year.
2) His AHL playoffs are meh, his NHL tryouts in the fall are meh. They don't think he's ready for AHL. He is sent here since it's the only option.

Reactions: Marj44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad