SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Special Teams were the difference in this one. Great job by all the hounds blocking shots and a really solid commitment to getting 5 men back on defense. Still too many turnovers. Flint sending in two forecheckers deep was causing problems especially in the second. Malik was exceptional.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Nice win tonight for the Hounds! Flint after their “tear” seems a little cooler lately but this game still meant a lot to them.

Reactions: PuckLife

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Malik was dialled in tonight. I’m excited to see this kid develop.
He is a great import draftee for sure. Didn’t realize he is not 18 until April! He appears to have the potential to be a true star in the OHL.

Has he spoken about next year at all? Is there any fear he may stay home and play in their home countries professional league? His late season arrival allows him to take a nice look at the OHL, Team and even the City for a few months and then decide if he wants to return or stay home and make a few bucks for a year or two? I am NOT trying to stir up *#it I truly am curious that’s all.

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015
I think this season is over after tonight with what is happening in the major sports

Well I certainly hope you are wrong, young lady! After tonight's win over Flint I have been fantasizing about the Hounds squeaking into the playoffs. My fantasy then has them upsetting the London Knights in Round 1 thanks to the stellar goaltending of Malik and Brkin.

I have one more fantasy and that involves the Hounds getting through a game without a "Too Many Teenagers On The Ice" penalty being assessed....

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I think this season is over after tonight with what is happening in the major sports

I don't think that they will make any rash decisions just yet. They have already taken steps to protect the players before the virus reaches the cities of the league.

There seems to be a more rational attitude in Canada as opposed to the rampant fear mongering in the United States. That gives me hope that the league will take a more reasonable approach than we have seen.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
I don't think that they will make any rash decisions just yet. They have already taken steps to protect the players before the virus reaches the cities of the league.

There seems to be a more rational attitude in Canada as opposed to the rampant fear mongering in the United States. That gives me hope that the league will take a more reasonable approach than we have seen.

this isn’t fear mongering. Everyone needs to be taking this seriously. Listen to Michael Osterholm who refuses to sugar coat anything. He’s an expert on infectious diseases. Italy had 200 deaths just yesterday. Over 125,000 infected worldwide with around 5,000 deaths. He explains the rate of infection doubles in a 48 hour period for COVID19. The incubation period can be up to 7 days and can be infectious in that time as well. Having no symptoms you can infect others without knowing it. Treat this seriously. I promise you this will affect Sault Ste. Marie very soon and we’ll see country wide shutdowns in the near future.

Reactions: DWI Dale and Marj44

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
The NHL’s decision today will greatly impact the CHL. Two American teams in the WHL are already going without fans if I remember correctly. I personally believe we are trending towards no fans in attendance at a minimum here locally. The Soo will be taking added precautions by the end of next week, I can almost guarantee that.

In the meantime hopefully all elders and people with prior respiratory issues (asthma, copd, colds, lung damage [chronic smoking], etc) refrain from attending the games for now. And yes, I realize that’s 80% of our town, just looking out for fellow Hounds fans!

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Nice win tonight for the Hounds! Flint after their “tear” seems a little cooler lately but this game still meant a lot to them.
It is tough without your top 2 NHL drafted players (Dellandrea and Keppen). However, the Soo did what they needed to do and we did not.

Reactions: Buttsy

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
One of the main problems in the U.S. is the President didn't take the virus seriously the past few weeks. Even his speech to the nation last night left a bit to be desired. Thankfully, others organizations and sports leagues have.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Gotta call out Randy Russon's article about the Hounds' tenders in SaultThisWeek. Did anyone else read it, starting with his title:
NUMBERS DO NOT LIE ON HOUNDS GOALIES; BAILEY BRKIN'S ARE MUCH, MUCH BETTER
He continues by going on a rant about win-loss record for the goalies and how Brkin's are much better since Malik came (5-11-0 for Malik vs. 4-1-2 for Brkin). Doesn't he realize that win-loss doesn't tell the whole story? Let's dig in a little deeper and see what lies below the surface.

Let's look at goal support.

While Malik was in net, the Greyhounds scored the following:
Jan 17 - 2
Jan 18 - 1
Jan 22 - 3
Jan 25 - 2
Jan 26 - 6
Jan 30 - 2
Feb 2 - 2
Feb 5 - 4
Feb 7 - 1
Feb 12 - 5
Feb 14 - 1
Feb 15 - 2
Feb 23 - 2
Feb 28 - 2
Mar 6 - 7
Mar 11 - 4
Total Goals For: 46
Total Minutes Played: 891
Goals For Average: 46/(891/60) = 3.10

While Brkin was in net starting Jan 12, the Greyhounds scored the following:
Jan 12 - 1 - 60
Jan 22 - 1 - 8:13
Jan 31 - 5 - 60
Feb 8 - 10 - 60
Feb 14 - 5 - 46:08
Feb 17 - 2 - 64:16
Feb 21 - 4 - 61:04
Feb 27 - 2 - 62:54
Mar 1 - 3 - 57:22
Mar 7 - 5 - 60
Total Goals For: 38
Total Minutes Played: 540
Goals For Average: 38/(540/60) = 4.22

For whatever reason, the Greyhounds are scoring way more goals when Brkin is in net. This obviously translates into more wins for Brkin. Can we give Brkin credit for these goals? The truth is, Goals Against Average is a terrible way to compare goalies, it's more of a team stat. (see It's Time to Scrap Goals Against Average - InGoal Magazine)
There is no holy grail of goaltending statistics. All of these stats tell a part of the story of how a goaltender is performing, and, when forming an opinion, it’s important to look at all of them.
All of them except for goals against average. It’s a team stat, and it’s time to scrap it from the goalie conversation.
Save percentage is generally considered better, although still flawed. Unfortunately, it's the best that we have. Did anybody notice that Malik's .886 is now better than Brkin's .885? Randy, numbers do not lie. As long as you are looking at the right numbers.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
this isn’t fear mongering. Everyone needs to be taking this seriously. Listen to Michael Osterholm who refuses to sugar coat anything. He’s an expert on infectious diseases. Italy had 200 deaths just yesterday. Over 125,000 infected worldwide with around 5,000 deaths. He explains the rate of infection doubles in a 48 hour period for COVID19. The incubation period can be up to 7 days and can be infectious in that time as well. Having no symptoms you can infect others without knowing it. Treat this seriously. I promise you this will affect Sault Ste. Marie very soon and we’ll see country wide shutdowns in the near future.

Keep a couple more facts in mind before scaring everyone. Big numbers without context only stokes fear.

First, the death rate in China has dropped to a fraction of a percentage, after the initial spike. That's our best look at the long term path of this virus.

That death rate is comparable to the much more infectious influenza, which often kills in excess of 50,000 people in this league's home countries.

This will hit Sault Ste. Marie, you are correct about that. Does it mean we have to shut down the league? Not based on the facts right now, but they need to be ready to react.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Magic number for the Hounds is 9.5
As in, # of Erie losses plus # of Hounds wins needs to be at least 9.5 to tie Erie in the standings (the half point is an OT/SO loss). Both teams have 7 games remaining.

Remember a tie for the last playoff spot results in a one game tie breaker prior to the start of the playoffs.

Go Hounds!
Magic Number 5.5, with 9 combined games remaining. Next action Friday with Erie @ Saginaw and Soo @ Kitchener, if COVID-19 allows.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Yeah I’m pretty sure they’ll cancel/postpone the rest of the season/playoffs fairly soon!

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
I believe last nights win against Flint will be the last we see of the Hounds this year. I expect all CHL leagues to be put on hiatus. Will be interesting to see if and when they resume if they will play the alst few games of the regular season.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
Keep a couple more facts in mind before scaring everyone. Big numbers without context only stokes fear.

First, the death rate in China has dropped to a fraction of a percentage, after the initial spike. That's our best look at the long term path of this virus.

That death rate is comparable to the much more infectious influenza, which often kills in excess of 50,000 people in this league's home countries.

This will hit Sault Ste. Marie, you are correct about that. Does it mean we have to shut down the league? Not based on the facts right now, but they need to be ready to react.

naive. The numbers right now are influenza like but this is just the beginning. The mortality rates are highest against the elderly but it’s who we come in contact with as a healthier people and as younger people that matters a whole heck of a lot. The mortality rates are higher stick is the elevator Lee but it’s too we come in contact with as healthier people and as younger people that matters a whole heck of a lot. I’m not trying to scare people as you say. I’m being pragmatic and not sugar coating it.

Last edited:

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Just as I called it, CHL leagues have been suspended.

So, what happens next? Only 1 point behind Erie in the playoff race. Hopefully they resume the regular season when this dies down, but from what all the experts are saying, this hasnt even peaked yet and wont until April/May. So they may just shutter the season/memorial cup

This is truly insane.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Looks like that’s all she wrote. Hope the players have a great summer and come back next year for a great year. All sports are done for quite a long time.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
naive. The numbers right now are influenza like but this is just the beginning. The mortality rates are highest against the elderly but it’s who we come in contact with as a healthier people and as younger people that matters a whole heck of a lot. The mortality rates are higher stick is the elevator Lee but it’s too we come in contact with as healthier people and as younger people that matters a whole heck of a lot. I’m not trying to scare people as you say. I’m being pragmatic and not sugar coating it.

You're doing the exact opposite of what you intend, but I digress.

Your comment about the elderly is correct and that's why the games should be played with no fans. The chance of anything happening to the players is virtually zero.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
You're doing the exact opposite of what you intend, but I digress.

Your comment about the elderly is correct and that's why the games should be played with no fans. The chance of anything happening to the players is virtually zero.

The players billet with working families. The players come to practice and play games with the others on the team. then those players come in contact with their families when the season ends. We need to stop looking at comparisons to other diseases and look at the quarantining to stretch o the number of infected over a longer period of time.

I’m not here to intentionally scare people. But there’s nothing wrong with telling the truth on this issue and if scares people anyway, good, being scared causes people to act in ways that protects themselves and others. I will not be sorry for pointing out the truth of this matter.

Reactions: SuperMod

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The players billet with working families. The players come to practice and play games with the others on the team. then those players come in contact with their families when the season ends. We need to stop looking at comparisons to other diseases and look at the quarantining to stretch o the number of infected over a longer period of time.

I’m not here to intentionally scare people. But there’s nothing wrong with telling the truth on this issue and if scares people anyway, good, being scared causes people to act in ways that protects themselves and others. I will not be sorry for pointing out the truth of this matter.

Intentionally stoking fear with misleading numbers is what leads to things like children being locked up at the Mexican border. You may be telling a very hyperbolic truth, but it's not helping anyone.

Getting understandable facts (like percentages and comparisons) will help people to go about their day to day lives and protect themselves without panic and hysteria. I've already met people in the Soo who are so afraid that they can't even get through their daily tasks. That's the fault of people like you. I implore you to think twice about the impact of your words on others.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
Intentionally stoking fear with misleading numbers is what leads to things like children being locked up at the Mexican border. You may be telling a very hyperbolic truth, but it's not helping anyone.

Getting understandable facts (like percentages and comparisons) will help people to go about their day to day lives and protect themselves without panic and hysteria. I've already met people in the Soo who are so afraid that they can't even get through their daily tasks. That's the fault of people like you. I implore you to think twice about the impact of your words on others.

Get your head out of the sand Fisch. It’s not misleading. I’m following the word of immunologists and infectious disease experts from the CDC. You’re ridiculous with your attempts to gaslight people on the internet. These are facts. I may as well be doing copy pasta right from the word of mouth that are leading medical experts on the subjects. Protect yourself and isolate so you can curb the rate of spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad