SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Recruiting players is on team reputation and location I always admire the Sault for getting players to report despite it location but pass winning helped there cause.

Last edited:

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
Yes, that's why Hockey Canada must have chosen them as GM and Coach of he World Junior Team....because they cheat and are an embarrassment to hockey. Maybe they can lure some American kids to play for Team Canada with their back-room dealings and they'll be able to pay off the International Referees as well. I'm sure that having lost your respect makes the Hunters stay up all night regretting every move they have made in their hockey careers.
The only thing that is obvious from your post is the envy you have for a winning organization and the fact that your embarrassing yourself with
a) Your poor grammar and spelling skills
b) Your unsubstantiated accusations
c) Your lack of research to back up your baseless rhetoric
d) Your laughable excuses

Oh...and I'll stay on my forum if you stay on yours.
I mean the Leafs chose Dubas instead of Hunter... :naughty::naughty:. (I'm just having a little fun, hopefully no one takes this seriously).

To be honest as a Soo fan I've always hated London, but it has more to do with how good they are year after year. As an opposing fan, you just want to beat them because theyve become ultra competitive. I can remember always getting pumped up to go to the rink to watch the Knights. From the Corey Perry powerhouse team to Kane and Gagner. I still get pumped up, it's always an entertaining game when the Knights come to town. It's obvious we're all a little frustrated as a fanbase and also taking into the account that the Greyhounds previously held a 12 game winning streak against the Knights I dont think this is the time or place to have this argument about refereeing and favouritism on our part.. Also I think we can have our opinions about the Hunters but we can't deny what they have done and what they are able to do when it comes to building championship winning teams. Just being realistic. Totally my opinion, could be wrong!

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
I mean the Leafs chose Dubas instead of Hunter... :naughty::naughty:. (I'm just having a little fun, hopefully no one takes this seriously).

To be honest as a Soo fan I've always hated London, but it has more to do with how good they are year after year. As an opposing fan, you just want to beat them because theyve become ultra competitive. I can remember always getting pumped up to go to the rink to watch the Knights. From the Corey Perry powerhouse team to Kane and Gagner. I still get pumped up, it's always an entertaining game when the Knights come to town. It's obvious we're all a little frustrated as a fanbase and also taking into the account that the Greyhounds previously held a 12 game winning streak against the Knights I dont think this is the time or place to have this argument about refereeing and favouritism on our part.. Also I think we can have our opinions about the Hunters but we can't deny what they have done and what they are able to do when it comes to building championship winning teams. Just being realistic. Totally my opinion, could be wrong!
Thank you. I like your style. And I'm sure most Soo fans share your opinion. That's what makes the OHL such a great league.

Reactions: HockeyPops

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Hayton was a 9th overall OHL selection, and a 5th overall to the Coyotes. You both are confusing which draft/league you are disagreeing on.
I know Hayton was drafted 5th overall by Arizona he said usually a 9th overall underaged player usually never sticks in the NHL so I was just correcting him that’s all , all good

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Hayton was a 9th overall OHL selection, and a 5th overall to the Coyotes. You both are confusing which draft/league you are disagreeing on.
I said Hayton was 9th overall in the OHL draft, and rarely someone selected that late sticks in the NHL as a junior aged player. Not confusing.

Reactions: soo hound girl

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
I said Hayton was 9th overall in the OHL draft, and rarely someone selected that late sticks in the NHL as a junior aged player. Not confusing.
Essentially I am defending Raftis. He and his staff have been incredible at recognizing undervalued players. He selected Frost and Timmins in the 4th round, Hayton 9th overall and he then goes 5th overall in the NHL draft. Some are being critical Raftis' decisions. He has not had a 2nd round selection in what, 6 years?? Somehow he has managed to continually get our team into at least the second round of playoffs for 6 years I think? Yet some are critical? He had a trade ready to go at the deadline that got messed up somehow. He also felt the value he was being offered was terrible. He also felt Hayton had a good chance to be a trade piece this year. Twice in his term now it looks like he is being hurt by NHL teams keeping a key trade piece that arguably should have been returned. (Jared McCann was the orher). I cannot even imagine how many assets that would have given Raftis to make our last 3 years even more successful. But, it did not go as he had hoped, a result of developing players extremely well! Good for Rafyis and his staff! He is getting players to the NHL, that's the idea.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I really liked Mark and Dale Hunter's response to Dean's claims of diving. I will paraphrase their response to Dean as "Maybe we dive but so does everyone else, grow up and stop whining". Interesting what they did not say - they did not stand up for McMichael and say he didn't dive.
“There should be nothing said and it’s wrong,” [Mark] Hunter said. “They (the Soo) beat us 12 times in a row (before Sunday’s victory) and you never heard any complaining from us. Other (Greyhounds) players dove all over the place and we didn’t sit there and complain, because the refs can’t see everything.
“It’s at their discretion and it’s a fast-paced game. Some can go either way, but I’m not sitting there re-reffing the game. It’s a tough one to officiate anymore.”

“If we’re diving, then we’re not very good at it,” London coach Dale Hunter said. “We’re minus-9 (in power play to penalty kill ratio) and the only one really worse than us is Barrie (at minus-31). So if we’re not at least even, then we’re not diving well enough. We always look at that differential. You think we would be getting more power plays than not — but we’re not.”

It was a professional response that managed to take cheap shots (warranted) at Dean's lack of professionalism and also served to send a message to their star player that yes, he was diving and needs to clean that part of the game up (also warranted).

I like it!

London Knights hit back at Greyhounds' diving claims

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Recruiting players is on team reputation and location I always admire the Sault for getting players to report despite it location but pass winning helped there cause.

It's also about NHL aspirations and what you have to offer them too. There really is very little incentive for an American to come to the CHL if they have a good chance at the NHL, unless you are a team that showcase them effectively for NHL teams.

Let's, for example, compare John Beecher and Nick Robertson. Both are 01's. Both are Americans. Nick Robertson obviously went the CHL route, Beecher went the NCAA route. If Beecher lit the roof on fire in the NCAA this year and was ready for a larger challenge, but was not quite ready for the NHL, Boston could sign him and send him to the AHL. The Leafs can not do that with Robertson. He has to go to the CHL or NHL until he's 20. Alternatively, if Beecher decided that the NCAA wasn't his thing and wanted to play out the rest of the year in the CHL, he can do that as well. He could sign with Boston and still play in the AHL next year, despite playing in the CHL this year. There was not really any incentive for Beecher, especially given he would be playing behind Hayton and Frost before this year, to come and play in SSM.

If you wanted to sell an American on playing in the CHL, you have to approach it strategically. They don't give half a crap about the educational program because if they are good enough to play in the CHL, they'll be good enough to play for a half decent NCAA school which provides much better educational opportunities than most Canadian institutions. You have to give them what they want: development and opportunity for a legit pro career. If you can't give them that, and you don't have a clear plan for them, then you are just wasting a pick.

Reactions: three dog night

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Sault coming tomorrow night in Niagara wish players on the Sault should fans and Niagara watch closely. If any fans coming down to Niagara welcome.

Reactions: DWI Dale

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Hey soo hound girl, my tix are available for tomorrow’s matchup if you are interested, I can’t go.
Let me know
Thanks for thinking of me but can’t get off work if I had a little more notice I just might have taken you up on your offer
Thanks again

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Dean is using the same game plan that we used against Sarnia and it is working very well again. They're forechecking really hard and dominating possession. The only difference this time is that we are getting some saves.

Reactions: Houndzfan

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
The only difference this time is that we are getting some saves.

and 9 powerplays. and held them to 16 shots.

the difference IMO was we dominated everything, not just possession.

i know it's a team game but the return of our captain meant a lot at both ends of the rink.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
what a stifling performance. good to see. i hope they like the way it felt so much they do it again this weekend. :naughty:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Billy Moskal got 4 games for his hit to the head on Holden Wale. Didn't look dirty to me at the game but obviously the video showed it was.

Hopefully Wale feels no long term effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad