SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Sounds like it wasn't our best game offensively, but it was another stout defensive performance. Brkin played quite well and was a difference maker. Hopefully he's got things back on track after a really rough patch.
Brkin was absolutely the difference. Could have easily lost. I wouldn't call the second period a stout defensive effort as we were again guilty of too many turnovers in transition.

The problem with playing that way is you will only win when your goalie plays lights out (like last night). My expectation is that a goalie won't play like that enough to win enough games. We need to tighten up like we did vs Niagara so we can win even when our goalie isn't lights out.

If we turn over the puck too much and lose, is it the goalie's fault?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Brkin was absolutely the difference. Could have easily lost. I wouldn't call the second period a stout defensive effort as we were again guilty of too many turnovers in transition.

The problem with playing that way is you will only win when your goalie plays lights out (like last night). My expectation is that a goalie won't play like that enough to win enough games. We need to tighten up like we did vs Niagara so we can win even when our goalie isn't lights out.

If we turn over the puck too much and lose, is it the goalie's fault?

Gerry's comments on the radio made it sound like they played well defensively as a whole and Coach Dean said that the team made good decisions with the puck in his postgame interview.

I wasn't able to watch the game, so I'll have to defer to you regarding the turnovers.

Overall though, I think giving up less than 30 shots on a back to back on the longest road trip in the entire league is a pretty solid effort. That's right in line with our season average of 29.4 against a good offensive team.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yes, I didn't mean that the whole game was like that, just the second. I do recall Gerry mentioning poor turnovers during the second. But certainly difficult to follow along with only the radio.
Dean called the second period “sloppy.”

“Puck management was an issue,” Dean said. “Going into the third up 2-1, we challenged the guys to be extremely smart with the puck and manage the puck well and we really executed a good third period for the most part.”
Greyhounds hold on for narrow win - SooToday.com

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Yes, I didn't mean that the whole game was like that, just the second. I do recall Gerry mentioning poor turnovers during the second. But certainly difficult to follow along with only the radio.

Greyhounds hold on for narrow win - SooToday.com

Sloppy sections are a part of any game, even in past years when we were atop the standings. Erie gave up a lot of good chances too, but we stepped up in the third when it counted, despite being tired. Good effort from everyone against a team that we'll be looking to pass in the standings in the coming games.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Nice start by the Hounds. Johnston and Pytlik make it 2-0 early.

Edit: Now Carroll to make it 3-0 and Edmonds get the hook only 9 mins into the game.

Edit: Carroll with a lazy neutral zone hook. Thought he had corrected that part of his game. Leads to the teddy bear toss PPG goal for Washkurak.

Last edited:

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Probably best road trip of the year, could we have turned the corner as a team. Wednesday against Sudbury will be a good indicator.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I look at it 2 ways
1st he is not in there plans in the future because of Malik
2nd they feel they have to play Brekin because we need points to make up lost ground and he gives them the best chance for 2 points

My understanding is that it's both. I'm not sure that Taylor plays another game with this team. He had his opportunity to shine and played very poorly., which is unfortunate.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
A wack stat, Sarnia and SSM have a similar GF and GA. Look at the standings. How dare you, lol.

Fairly similar, but ours is a several goals better. We also give up 4 fewer shots per game.

Next week's homestand is going to be big. The game against Erie could be our chance to move into a playoff spot. Then we can set our sights on tracking down our division foes. Somewhat surprisingly, Saginaw is only 6 points ahead and Flint 8.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
How much are tickets and how much is it to park near the arena? Considering making the trip for the first ever time on Wednesday and am just a little curious, Thanks in advance.

Also im assuming id be able to buy at the box office, wont sell out on a Wednesday I hope

Reactions: DWI Dale

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
How much are tickets and how much is it to park near the arena? Considering making the trip for the first ever time on Wednesday and am just a little curious, Thanks in advance.

Also im assuming id be able to buy at the box office, wont sell out on a Wednesday I hope
Shouldn't sell out. I think most visitors sit in 110 - 116 so you can see the Wolves twice on Offense. Park in the mall parking lot for free.

ADULT $24.13
CHILD $12.66
SENIOR $20.34
STUDENT $20.34

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->