SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Christian Propp is now 4-1-1 with a .898 save % on the 2nd worst team in the league. Meanwhile Brkin is a .878 save % in 9 games in the Soo so far

Reactions: DWI Dale

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
the difference IMO was we dominated everything, not just possession.
We took care of the puck, which I feel is the biggest difference. Not having those untimely turnovers through the transition part of our game prevented the odd man rushes the other way. They scored one goal off the breakaway but it was just as the penalized man got out of the penalty box. Our penalty kill was effective on the 3 power plays they had.

I like the direction this team is going, and it shows in their previous 10 games record - 5-4-1-0

Reactions: DWI Dale and Bear54

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
We took care of the puck, which I feel is the biggest difference. Not having those untimely turnovers through the transition part of our game prevented the odd man rushes the other way. They scored one goal off the breakaway but it was just as the penalized man got out of the penalty box. Our penalty kill was effective on the 3 power plays they had.

I like the direction this team is going, and it shows in their previous 10 games record - 5-4-1-0

There were other breakaways from Doherty and Lodnia, along with a few good powerplay chances for Niagara, but Brkin shut the door on them.

This performance really wasn't much different from the one against Sarnia. We just got some big saves early and kept the momentum going. As always this season, goaltending was a big difference.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Our goal differential is now 118 for and 120 against, which would give us a .500 'Pythagorean record'. That's something they use in baseball to judge a team's true talent level. It's not perfect, but a useful tool.

If you believe that Malik can come and be a league average starter (.894 SV%) or even better like I do, then there is reason for some confidence.

Applying that to our shots allowed so far would have given us 118 goals for and 87 against. That comes out to a record of 18 wins and 10 losses.

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Billy Moskal got 4 games for his hit to the head on Holden Wale. Didn't look dirty to me at the game but obviously the video showed it was.

Hopefully Wale feels no long term effects.
I was right there and it was an elbow right to the jaw

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Our goal differential is now 118 for and 120 against, which would give us a .500 'Pythagorean record'. That's something they use in baseball to judge a team's true talent level. It's not perfect, but a useful tool.

If you believe that Malik can come and be a league average starter (.894 SV%) or even better like I do, then there is reason for some confidence.

Applying that to our shots allowed so far would have given us 118 goals for and 87 against. That comes out to a record of 18 wins and 10 losses.

19th best in TSH & PK% says a lot about the hounds record, I think. 8 PP vs only 3 against was a big factor in the win last night

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
19th best in TSH & PK% says a lot about the hounds record, I think. 8 PP vs only 3 against was a big factor in the win last night

You are wrong on all points.

The Greyhounds also have the second most powerplays and the differential between the two is even. Looking at things out of context like that is misleading.

The penalties in last night's game were also even at 3 each until near the end of the second, at which point the shots were 33-13 and the score was 3-1. The Ice Dogs got very frustrated in the third, but the flow of the game had been well established by that point.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016

The Greyhounds also have the second most powerplays and the differential between the two is even. Looking at things out of context like that is misleading.

The penalties in last night's game were also even at 3 each until near the end of the second, at which point the shots were 33-13 and the score was 3-1. The Ice Dogs got very frustrated in the third, but the flow of the game had been well established by that point.
You mean in "your opinion " Dirty 12 is all wrong on all points. He may be right. As a 3-1 game, if we took more penalties for whatever reason, we could have given up a key power play goal to make it 3-2, and then anything could happen. I believe staying out of the box sure helps!

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
You mean in "your opinion " Dirty 12 is all wrong on all points. He may be right. As a 3-1 game, if we took more penalties for whatever reason, we could have given up a key power play goal to make it 3-2, and then anything could happen. I believe staying out of the box sure helps!

That's not an opinion, I provided the numbers. The scoreboard doesn't always reflect the quality of play, but the shots do. We were clearly better when the penalties were even, perhaps even overwhelmingly better. That's a fact.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
That's not an opinion, I provided the numbers. The scoreboard doesn't always reflect the quality of play, but the shots do. We were clearly better when the penalties were even, perhaps even overwhelmingly better. That's a fact.
I am not going to argue with you. If we were talking it would be a waste of air.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I am not going to argue with you. If we were talking it would be a waste of air.

If you believe that Niagara was the better team through 2 periods then so be it. I don't agree with your assessment and I don't think their fans do either.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
If you believe that Niagara was the better team through 2 periods then so be it. I don't agree with your assessment and I don't think their fans do either.
Who said Niagra was better? Dirty 12 said staying out of the box was key, I agree. If at 3-1 near the end of two periods, we started taking penalties (for whatever reason) instead of Niagra, they could have scored the next goal instead of us. Then it's a different game, that's all. Staying out of the box helped finish a strong game.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Who said Niagra was better? Dirty 12 said staying out of the box was key, I agree. If at 3-1 near the end of two periods, we started taking penalties (for whatever reason) instead of Niagra, they could have scored the next goal instead of us. Then it's a different game, that's all. Staying out of the box helped finish a strong game.

Of course the game would be closer if Niagara scored more goals. I don't know you're trying to demonstrate by saying that. We played well against Sarnia too, but Brkin sucked. It doesn't change the fact that we dominated most of the game.

We were the better team against Niagara without the benefit of penalties. I don't agree that penalties were the reason that we played so well. I'm surprised that this even needs to be said, but here we are with two people disagreeing with those facts.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Of course the game would be closer if Niagara scored more goals. I don't know you're trying to demonstrate by saying that. We played well against Sarnia too, but Brkin sucked. It doesn't change the fact that we dominated most of the game.

We were the better team against Niagara without the benefit of penalties. I don't agree that penalties were the reason that we played so well. I'm surprised that this even needs to be said, but here we are with two people disagreeing with those facts.

When 3 goalies cannot achieve 0.880 SV% with two of those being OA; and one of those OA G goes on to significantly improve his numbers and help improve the standing of his new team, it’s time to look for reasons other than just a goalie causing losses. Being among teams giving up most PP and among worst PK could very well be a reason for a losing record.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I looked up some Soo stats (and as of December 6th, 5:30).
PP ranked 13th
PK ranked 19th
Soo's goals for/goals agst differential is -2 (118 - 120). By comparison there are 12 teams with a better differential.
Top scorer:
Pytlik (ranks 32nd overall)
Kartye (@ 39th)
Top d-man (scoring):
Calisti (13th overall).
Of course, these particular stats were chosen at random. You can add other relevant ones. We know that goaltending is not the sole factor in explaining the Soo's position in the standings. I can't see how goaltending could be the cause of a mediocre PP.
On the bright side, the Soo are a young team and have a few rookies putting up some good numbers. I think Dickinson is 4th in rookie scoring.
I'll show myself out...

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Fischhaber is heavily invested in his "blame the goalie" mantra at this point.

He is going to insult people and gaslight until seasons end instead of admitting he over-valued this roster. I say let him sink with the ship.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

Context is important for sure. But @dirty12 is correct about the combination of high TSH and low PK% being devastating. We give up an extra goal on PK vs PP for every 15 times. So in 120 occurences of each we have given up 8 more special teams goals than we have scored. If we only had 90 occurences of each we would have a special teams goal deficit of only 6, not 8.

Reactions: dirty12

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Context is important for sure. But @dirty12 is correct about the combination of high TSH and low PK% being devastating. We give up an extra goal on PK vs PP for every 15 times. So in 120 occurences of each we have given up 8 more special teams goals than we have scored. If we only had 90 occurences of each we would have a special teams goal deficit of only 6, not 8.

At this point, the context has been explained to him multiple times and he is intentionally misleading people. I think that the mods should step in.

As for the problems on the PK, we lead the league in shorthanded goals and have one of the lowest shots allowed in the league. Those are both extremely good indicators of a good penalty kill. Logic would dictate that a lot of these problems begin in the crease.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
OHL livestream down?

Didn't work for me either. Sounds like it wasn't our best game offensively, but it was another stout defensive performance. Brkin played quite well and was a difference maker. Hopefully he's got things back on track after a really rough patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad