SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Yes all good. Goalie of the present and future, more room for our young d to play and develop and a decent return for Wale . Considering Stratis was a first round pick, Sudbury only got a 4th for him.

I'm curious as to how Coach Dean sets up the blueline now. They had been playing LeGuerrier out of position with O'Rourke and Wale with Holmes. They can either plug Halushak into the open slot or move LeGuerrier back and play Wawrow more.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
O'Rourke - Constantinou
Calisti - LeGuerrier
Halushak - Holmes
Wawrow

Wawrow has an upper body injury, so I might run these lines at least until he is back.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
O'Rourke - Constantinou
Calisti - LeGuerrier
Halushak - Holmes
Wawrow

Wawrow has an upper body injury, so I might run these lines at least until he is back.

Since the Christmas break, Leguerrier has been with O'Rourke and Calisti with Constantinou.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
We probably will need to add to our defense next year now with Wale gone. Maybe try to target a top OA like Connor Corcoran or Declan Chisholm early next year, assuming they are back.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Well that's all folks. We'll see what else trickles in after noon.

Too bad that nobody would give Ethan Taylor a roster spot. I thought that he was deserving.

Maybe they still have plans for him. Let him go to a lower level to play a ton and get some confidence back, and then put him in the backup mix for next year. I guess they don't want to go in with only rookies in the mix for the backup job next year. Depending on how he does, they can probably trade him then for a similar, decent return as he would have received now.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We probably will need to add to our defense next year now with Wale gone. Maybe try to target a top OA like Connor Corcoran or Declan Chisholm early next year, assuming they are back.

The OA spot may go to bring in a high end forward at RW. Have a feeling they want Holmes, Wawrow and Halushak to get some proper exposure, and maybe to give Brzustowski his first taste as a depth guy, before looking for upgrades at the TDL next year.

Otherwise, they'd probably just keep Wale as an OA to start and upgrade him later.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Not so fast. We likely have 7 returning d next year with the youngsters all getting extra ice time now. An OA spot may be better used to add elsewhere. Lots of time till next January 10.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Am I right that only one 16 y/o moved this year (Punnett), and one last year (Moore) - ignoring the Cuylle trade? The biggest takeaway for me this deadline is how difficult it has become to pry 16 y/o even for elite 19 y/o talent.

Last year Entwhistle, Tippett, Studnicka, Phillips, Suzuki, Robertson, DiPietro moved and only Studnicka brought back a 16 y/o in return. This year Thomas, Tomasino, Suzuki moved and only Suzuki brought back a 16 y/o.

Truth is, if you go for it one year and trade your 16 y/o, you aren't likely to get someone else's back the following year when you sell.

Reactions: Tarantula

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Am I right that only one 16 y/o moved this year (Punnett), and one last year (Moore) - ignoring the Cuylle trade? The biggest takeaway for me this deadline is how difficult it has become to pry 16 y/o even for elite 19 y/o talent.

Last year Entwhistle, Tippett, Studnicka, Phillips, Suzuki, Robertson, DiPietro moved and only Studnicka brought back a 16 y/o in return. This year Thomas, Tomasino, Suzuki moved and only Suzuki brought back a 16 y/o.

Truth is, if you go for it one year and trade your 16 y/o, you aren't likely to get someone else's back the following year when you sell.

Yup, I can agree with that for sure

I wouldn't have been happy if Raftis moved Holmes for whatever reason.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Correct me if I’m wrong.....and I’m actually too LAZY to check is what I mean! When the Hounds traded Hawel he was the actual 21st pick of Round 1 as I believe Mississauga had another pick in the first round for someone that didn’t report? I’m not sure how high we drafted Flower but I don’t think it was top 15?

my long-winded point is.....these were both NOT top 10 picks so even though the Hounds traded them, neither was what we’d call a “STAR” in the league which makes it more palatable trading them. Versus a top 10 pick?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

I would expect Declan Chisholm will be playing with the Peterborough Petes as an overage if he returns.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

I find the reticence to trade first round picks extremely strange. We saw Peterborough deal Mississauga's 2nd rounder for Thomas, which could only be a few picks after the first round. No Hounds fan regrets trading Hawel, Salinitri, or Fowler.

I think we can all agree that the above pick is equally or more valuable than Punnett in the hands of a competent GM like Kyle Raftis. That's no knock against his potential, but he was pegged as a second rounder going into the draft and has done nothing to change that.

Another competent GM in Warren Rychel just placed a value of at least four of five 2nd round picks on Punnett. Why is that? Give me the picks any day. The Ice Dogs are going to win that Tomasino trade in a landslide if they continue to draft like they have in the recent past. I thought it was a brilliant move for them.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I find the reticence to trade first round picks extremely strange. We saw Peterborough deal Mississauga's 2nd rounder for Thomas, which could only be a few picks after the first round. No Hounds fan regrets trading Hawel, Salinitri, or Fowler.

I think we can all agree that the above pick is equally or more valuable than Punnett in the hands of a competent GM like Kyle Raftis. That's no knock against his potential, but he was pegged as a second rounder going into the draft and has done nothing to change that.

Another competent GM in Warren Rychel just placed a value of at least four of five 2nd round picks on Punnett. Why is that? Give me the picks any day. The Ice Dogs are going to win that Tomasino trade in a landslide if they continue to draft like they have in the recent past. I thought it was a brilliant move for them.
Rychel is not a GM right now - he is only coaching (interm) in Barrie, he would likely only have input at best on trades but not the final say.

Reactions: Fischhaber

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Good night on the out of town scoreboard with Owen Sound, Flint, and Sarnia losing. If we play like we have since getting Brkin then we'll be at 39 wins (80 points) and hopefully move up a seed or two.

It's a shame because that same 19 game pace (13-6) would have us leading the conference by several points. Keep it up boys!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
All of Mississauga's offense was generated short-handed. This definitely needs cleaning up. Their first goal was even strength, but it was on a nothing play and Brkin would have wanted that back.

Lots of missed passes last night. The puck was jumping over sticks at times, but we also were a little out of sync on some plays. Even so, we more than carried the play all game, and were deserving of the win.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
All of Mississauga's offense was generated short-handed. This definitely needs cleaning up. Their first goal was even strength, but it was on a nothing play and Brkin would have wanted that back.

Lots of missed passes last night. The puck was jumping over sticks at times, but we also were a little out of sync on some plays. Even so, we more than carried the play all game, and were deserving of the win.

I checked the plus minus to see who was on the blueline for the shorthanded goal and it had Calisti with 4 forwards.

That's incorrect because O'Rourke was clearly the player chasing Whittaker into the zone. It makes me wonder how often they screw that up.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
I checked the plus minus to see who was on the blueline for the shorthanded goal and it had Calisti with 4 forwards.

That's incorrect because O'Rourke was clearly the player chasing Whittaker into the zone. It makes me wonder how often they screw that up.
Where do you find plus/minus for "each" goal?

7Wacked

Nov 30, 2019
Good morning All.
Knight fan heading to the Soo for this afternoon's game.
Looking for a good spot for lunch.
Burger & craft beer? Close to the rink. Any suggestions?

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
The Burger Don on Great Northern Road....a 4 minute ride from the arena....would be where I’d recommend. There’s also Stackburger on Bay St but no alcohol. The Burger Don’s open at 11 today.

Reactions: HockeyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad