SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yahoo from the Soo

Dec 28, 2016
Whew! Glad Malik is on his way. Does anybody think Taylor has any trade value? Or do they just release him? And with eight D, who gets moved by tomorrow? I don't wanna weaken this roster if we're nip and tuck with Sarnia, Erie and Owen Sound in jockeying for a playoff berth.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If Raftis thought they might need help making the playoffs, he likely would have added an OA. Since he didn't, he is satisfied he will make the playoffs.

Hopefully Taylor finds a landing spot. Taylor was a ninth rounder, if we find him a home it is probably for less than that.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Too many comparisons with Frost to go for less.
Well, he’s certainly better than Antropov and likely worth 2 2nd’s or more but I don’t know about comparisons to a guy who put up like 100+ pts as a 19yo. The Soo’s roster is the one I look at and don’t think “buy” OR “sell”. Maaaaybe a minor addition or subtraction.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If Raftis thought they might need help making the playoffs, he likely would have added an OA. Since he didn't, he is satisfied he will make the playoffs.

Hopefully Taylor finds a landing spot. Taylor was a ninth rounder, if we find him a home it is probably for less than that.
I wouldn't mind the wolves grabbing Taylor to be honest

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I’m not trying to dog Trott, he’s a hell of a player for sure...but that’s from July and he’s gonna fall about 40-50pts short of Frost’s 19yo totals. That’s a little bit of a difference even if there are multiple similarities y’know?
See, you just compared them. That's what I am talking about. Too many comparisons.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
quiet? that's seldom my style although there was definitely somebody missing all week from the soo greyhounds thread... guess who?:naughty:

if malik's coming that's obviously great news and a feather in the cap for raftis, especially if we can get 2.5 seasons from him. i'll save my celebration for a formal announcement but i'll have a tallboy to mark the occasion.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Drama surrounds goalie Malik

Some candid stuff from Raftis in here:

The Hounds received calls on Brkin and Peca but were not interested in moving either. They also were not interested in adding a 3rd OA.

The team has not been close to completing a trade and have nothing in the works, but will remain in conversations tomorrow. No player has been approached about a no-trade clause. Raftis would "not be surprised" if we stand pat.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Drama surrounds goalie Malik

Some candid stuff from Raftis in here:

The Hounds received calls on Brkin and Peca but were not interested in moving either. They also were not interested in adding a 3rd OA.

The team has not been close to completing a trade and have nothing in the works, but will remain in conversations tomorrow. No player has been approached about a no-trade clause. Raftis would "not be surprised" if we stand pat.

Nothing about Laguerrier. I suspect the number of calls for Trott and Leggy will be up today. Sudbury made room for a dman .

Also Hugo from North Bay the new import I think gets moved. 4 shifts last night, I think they played his one game and will flip him

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Nothing about Laguerrier. I suspect the number of calls for Trott and Leggy will be up today. Sudbury made room for a dman .

Also Hugo from North Bay the new import I think gets moved. 4 shifts last night, I think they played his one game and will flip him

My understanding is that first year imports can't be traded, but I don't know the exact rule.

As for the Hounds, I expect Taylor to be traded for a pick today. Otherwise, I don't expect any moves. Everyone is happy here and that makes it easy for Raftis.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
My understanding is that first year imports can't be traded, but I don't know the exact rule.

As for the Hounds, I expect Taylor to be traded for a pick today. Otherwise, I don't expect any moves. Everyone is happy here and that makes it easy for Raftis.

I thought i read somewhere that it changed this year and first year imports could be traded after December 1. I though it was in the CHL but could have only been in the dub or Q. Not sure.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
quiet? that's seldom my style although there was definitely somebody missing all week from the soo greyhounds thread... guess who?:naughty:

if malik's coming that's obviously great news and a feather in the cap for raftis, especially if we can get 2.5 seasons from him. i'll save my celebration for a formal announcement but i'll have a tallboy to mark the occasion.

You wouldn't get more than 1.5 years out of Malik. He'll be in the AHL or Europe by then.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I thought i read somewhere that it changed this year and first year imports could be traded after December 1. I though it was in the CHL but could have only been in the dub or Q. Not sure.

I'm really not sure. None have been traded yet, so that's just my best guess.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It changed 1.5 years ago according to this article
OHL boss: Canadian net hopes will thrive after import ban lifted
MOVING CLAUSE: The CHL has taken another step to make its league more appealing to European players. They have dropped a rule stating first-year imports could not be traded until the following season.

“We’ve said, ‘come and try it,’” Branch said, “and by mid-December, there will be a period of time that player could be traded if he’s not happy. But he’s got to be registered and playing for a CHL team for that to happen.”
You wouldn't get more than 1.5 years out of Malik. He'll be in the AHL or Europe by then.
If he indeed comes now, he will be drafted out of the O and not eligible for AHL at 19. Unless he is on loan. Lol.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Post by Hockeypops = post 606 contains the article that explains that first year imports can be traded but it must be at their request and during a short window only. Seems they are using the same window as the first round draft picks.

Reactions: HockeyPops

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I would have thought SSM would have added a cheap OAer like Tymkin. Maybe they still can if he hits waivers? IDK if the OA deadline is a roster freeze or just a trade freeze.

Taylor could get a mid-round pick. Just look at the prices Kooy and MacLean are going for. Taylor had a good season last year too, so it's clear he has some potential and upside for some teams.

My guess is Taylor goes to Kitchener for a 5th, McLean goes to Niagara for a 7th or 8th, LeGuerrier goes to Sudbury for a 2nd, 2 3rds and a few late rounders. Then I think they acquire Keegan Stevenson from Guelph for a 3rd and a few late rounders. Then they are good until the offseason when they'll need to start making a few more moves.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I would have thought SSM would have added a cheap OAer like Tymkin. Maybe they still can if he hits waivers? IDK if the OA deadline is a roster freeze or just a trade freeze.

Taylor could get a mid-round pick. Just look at the prices Kooy and MacLean are going for. Taylor had a good season last year too, so it's clear he has some potential and upside for some teams.

My guess is Taylor goes to Kitchener for a 5th, McLean goes to Niagara for a 7th or 8th, LeGuerrier goes to Sudbury for a 2nd, 2 3rds and a few late rounders. Then I think they acquire Keegan Stevenson from Guelph for a 3rd and a few late rounders. Then they are good until the offseason when they'll need to start making a few more moves.

I think that's extremely unlikely except for the Taylor trade. I highly doubt there will be any major moves in the offseason either. We're one of the league's top teams with Brkin. I think they hope for more of the same with Malik next year and leave things alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad