OT: Spoiler Alert [Spoiler Alert ((Spoiler Alert))] (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thread)

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I have so little faith in Disney to do Star Wars that I’m not even bothering to see The Mandalorian. The trailer doesn’t even look that great, and it should have been R-rated, IMO. Or at least R-rated with a Disney-bribed PG-13.

Reactions: shoplifter

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have so little faith in Disney to do Star Wars that I’m not even bothering to see The Mandalorian. The trailer doesn’t even look that great, and it should have been R-rated, IMO. Or at least R-rated with a Disney-bribed PG-13.

I don't really see why Star Wars would need to be R-rated. That's not what Star Wars has ever been.

Hell, the best Star Wars since the originals (The Clone Wars series) is a straight up kids show.

Last edited:
Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

If you're not subscribing to Disney+, yeah, I can see that reasoning. But if you're going to have the service I don't see why 40ish minutes of your viewing time would hurt.

The names associated with the project on the creative side (Favreau, Filoni) have me pretty positive. The list of directors helps too. If you don't know Filoni, maybe watch Avatar ([the animated show] I haven't watched, but I think that's his first series), Star Wars Clone Wars, and Star Wars Rebels. But those are 20-minute episodes for longer series, so maybe look up reviews of those series?

Filoni basically has my unwavering trust.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If you're not subscribing to Disney+, yeah, I can see that reasoning. But if you're going to have the service I don't see why 40ish minutes of your viewing time would hurt.

The names associated with the project on the creative side (Favreau, Filoni) have me pretty positive. The list of directors helps too. If you don't know Filoni, maybe watch Avatar ([the animated show] I haven't watched, but I think that's his first series), Star Wars Clone Wars, and Star Wars Rebels. But those are 20-minute episodes for longer series, so maybe look up reviews of those series?

Filoni basically has my unwavering trust.
I'm always happy to watch Pedro Pascal as well.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
As an adult, PG13 can be difficult to watch when the content needs to be R to do it justice. I really dislike how ratings entirely change movies from story to dialog all so they can make it more accessible (in an attempt) to make more money.

Reactions: DanielPlainview

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
A series centered on a Boba Fett type bounty hunter is the perfect opportunity for Star Wars to return to its dark and gritty roots for its mostly adult fan-base.

Rogue One is my favorite of the Disney projects and the only one I’d consider keeping canon if given the reigns.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
A series centered on a Boba Fett type bounty hunter is the perfect opportunity for Star Wars to return to its dark and gritty roots for its mostly adult fan-base.

Rogue One is my favorite of the Disney projects and the only one I’d consider keeping canon if given the reigns.
what dark and gritty roots are you talking about? At no point has Star Wars ever even edged near something that would deserve an R rating. It has been a toy-pushing family-friendly series since its inception.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Not R-rated maybe but the first two would have likely been rated PG-13 if it existed.

But the people who want to deny the first two have a tone similar to Rogue One are hilariously delusional. It really wasn’t until ROTJ that things became about goofy aliens and appealing to kids.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not R-rated maybe but the first two would have likely been rated PG-13 if it existed.

But the people who want to deny the first two have a tone similar to Rogue One are hilariously delusional. It really wasn’t until ROTJ that things became about goofy aliens and appealing to kids.
And the Mandalorian is TV-14, so it seems like it's in line with that. The originals and Rogue One were never anything close to R. If anything I'd say Revenge of the Sith is probably the closest it's come.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
what dark and gritty roots are you talking about? At no point has Star Wars ever even edged near something that would deserve an R rating. It has been a toy-pushing family-friendly series since its inception.
I just read that Disney is shelving *all* future Star Wars movies following the release of 'Rise of Skywalker' film.
Are you aware of this? If so, what does this mean for the + service and its shows/series?
I imagine Star Wars universe is a huge pull for viewers who are on the fence about subscribing to the + service.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just read that Disney is shelving *all* future Star Wars movies following the release of 'Rise of Skywalker' film.
Are you aware of this? If so, what does this mean for the + service and its shows/series?
I imagine Star Wars universe is a huge pull for viewers who are on the fence about subscribing to the + service.
I haven't heard anything about cancelling the Kenobi series and the Mandalorian is releasing tomorrow.

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I haven't heard anything about cancelling the Kenobi series and the Mandalorian is releasing tomorrow.
Yeah I'm not sure about the other stuff that is why I'm asking, but I did read future movies are shelved.

Are you a + subscriber?

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It won't get better until Kathleen Kennedy is no longer in charge. She's driving Star Wars into the ground

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Weekly. I haven't actually used it yet.
Ewww. I am so spoiled with full releases now. First Netflix ruined me for live tv and having to deal with commercials. I can't do it anymore. Commercials are so intrusive today and having to wait several weeks / a few months from first episode to finale can be frustrating because some things I may forget, like little details say, being months between start to finish say.

You'll have to let me know what you think when your bored one day after you flesh out the service. I'm mostly curious on the amount of content and if it really is possible for them to compete with Netflix.

They say Netflix is in trouble with all these so called streaming wars, but I think they underestimate Netflix. I think Netflix will handily win out over these other services just by shear content volume alone.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I don't think I made it 20-minutes through that 80s movie that David Lynch did.
You missed a prime opportunity to gin up some real, powerful loathing for Sting, the pretty Harkoneon. Ugh. Hated him in Quadrophenia too, but grudgingly tolerated him in Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels because that film was so fun.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Ewww. I am so spoiled with full releases now. First Netflix ruined me for live tv and having to deal with commercials. I can't do it anymore. Commercials are so intrusive today and having to wait several weeks / a few months from first episode to finale can be frustrating because some things I may forget, like little details say, being months between start to finish say.

You'll have to let me know what you think when your bored one day after you flesh out the service. I'm mostly curious on the amount of content and if it really is possible for them to compete with Netflix.

They say Netflix is in trouble with all these so called streaming wars, but I think they underestimate Netflix. I think Netflix will handily win out over these other services just by shear content volume alone.

Netflix is bleeding customers. Their original content has largely sucked for a long time, especially the movies. Their best original show going right now is probably Ozark, followed by Dark and that’s a German show.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Netflix is bleeding customers. Their original content has largely sucked for a long time, especially the movies. Their best original show going right now is probably Ozark, followed by Dark and that’s a German show.
I think we're in a golden age of viewing and multiple pay providers can co-exist. Have yet to see any of Apple's offerings, but god knows they'll have funding galore. Been enjoying Amazon Prime. Fleabag was fun as hell, The Americans had a lot going for it and I'm super stoked for the final season of The Man in the High Castle. Even though, compared to Dick's book, it makes HBO's Watchmen look faithful to the original. Agree about Ozark, it's very well done. Peaky Blinders was pretty amazing as well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've been jaded about everything Star Wars related since Rian Johnson butchered The Last Jedi and messed up everything that was set up in The Force Awakens. I still haven't seen the Han Solo prequel film yet because of my lack of interest.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Y'all are crazy. I thought that was a badass explanation for why he's doing what he's doing. The scene near the end with the guy's family was nuts.

I just didn't buy that
this schlubby consultant looking dude was really an elite Columbian cartel sicario, whose family got wiped out by the Mexican cartels
. It felt both too on the nose and too unbelievable.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
2 quarters ago they were bleeding, correct.
This last quarter they evened off (w/help from overseas markets)

They also have a head start base of 151 million subscribers.
Now the big hairy but, they won't be cash positive for another 5 years roughly. They lose 5 billion a year I believe.

Life was a lot easier for netflix years ago when they didn't pay in 15 billion or so dollars a year for original content and they just paid for rights to stream other networks content.

My money would still be on netflix to win.

I tell ya what, now is the time for people looking to break into the industry: producers, directors, actors, etc etc. There are sooooo many shows and movies between broadcast and streaming shows and movies! I may drive over to NYC sometime just to have my ugly ass audition for a show or movie or something... who the hell knows what could happen. Imagine landing a speaking part on a show that pays 10k an episode for 10 episodes that eventually gets picked up for 5 seasons and contract renegotiations lands you 50k or something an episode. Never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad