OT: Spoiler Alert [Spoiler Alert ((Spoiler Alert))] (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thread)

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Watching Alita: Battle Angel or whatever the hell it is. So everyone is a normy and she is CGI? I'm confused. Her eyes are so big they bother me.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Since we're locked at ~1000 on the last post, here's the thread to talk about
THINGS
which happen in our favorite non-Pens
media properties

Just remember to use
SPOILERS[/spoilers] ya maniacs!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
How likely are people to keep watching the planned slew of Fantasy TV shows that'll come after GoT has finished? Is GoT just a phenomenon, or is there a genuine appetite for shows and movies based on Fantasy properties?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
How likely are people to keep watching the planned slew of Fantasy TV shows that'll come after GoT has finished? Is GoT just a phenomenon, or is there a genuine appetite for shows and movies based on Fantasy properties?

Probably just a GoT thing. Just like how there were all those Lost-wannabe shows that failed. Not that I disliked them, they just weren't as good and didn't have as big a following.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Probably just a GoT thing. Just like how there were all those Lost-wannabe shows that failed. Not that I disliked them, they just weren't as good and didn't have as big a following.
Yeah. I think the success will be confined to GoT. Any sequels / prequels will not be able to achieve what early GoT (ASOIF) did. I have the history book and while there are cool stories I just don't see a series having enough steam to pull it all together.

Even GoT is falling apart coming down the home stretch with all it's early complexity proving too difficult to accurately tie together in the end.

The prequel / sequel may have less magic stuff I'm thinking. Isn't the prequel series based on hundreds of years before the current GoT time line in an era they are calling 'The Era of Heros' or something similar?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, I figured most people wouldn't be as excited for other Fantasy properties as they have been for GoT. It's a big thing in the Fantasy community how many things are getting slated to become TV shows, but I'm pretty sceptical about it working. I never expect A Song of Ice and Fire to work as well as it did, and it's got a lot more plot twists and memorable characters than something like Wheel of Time or The Fionavar Tapestry. I'm excited for Good Omens and that's about it.

Even GoT is falling apart coming down the home stretch with all it's early complexity proving too difficult to accurately tie together in the end.

That's mostly on the writers deciding to try and cram everything into 13 episodes. Screw those guys.

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah, I figured most people wouldn't be as excited for other Fantasy properties as they have been for GoT. It's a big thing in the Fantasy community how many things are getting slated to become TV shows, but I'm pretty sceptical about it working. I never expect A Song of Ice and Fire to work as well as it did, and it's got a lot more plot twists and memorable characters than something like Wheel of Time or The Fionavar Tapestry. I'm excited for Good Omens and that's about it.

That's mostly on the writers deciding to try and cram everything into 13 episodes. Screw those guys.
Yeah, d&d aren't doing a great job with GRRM's material. Martin even came out and said he has enough material to fill 5 more seasons of GoT.
I wonder why HBO put them on a 7 and 6 episode final two seasons. I can't think it's actor contracts holding the show back, but maybe it is. There is quite a large cast.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The Witcher is another fantasy show born from books, but brought to popular mainstream through CD Projekt Red and their Witcher games. The books are incredible and so are the games.

I think it's coming out in the winter this year on Netflix. Also, Netflix was so happy with what they seen of the show so far that they said they want to green-light further seasons already.

Reactions: USMC607

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Yeah, d&d aren't doing a great job with GRRM's material. Martin even came out and said he has enough material to fill 5 more seasons of GoT.
I wonder why HBO put them on a 7 and 6 episode final two seasons. I can't think it's actor contracts holding the show back, but maybe it is. There is quite a large cast.
It was their decision not HBOs

And GOT is still a great show i just wish they would tighten up a couple minor things that would completely make these last two seasons better.

For example last episode if they attack the ships first and then the dragons swoop down and hets killed its works better on a couple levels.

It dosent make the shot so ridiculous. And therefor stops the well why didn't they just shoot the other dragon while it was on the ground question

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It was their decision not HBOs

And GOT is still a great show i just wish they would tighten up a couple minor things that would completely make these last two seasons better.

For example last episode if they attack the ships first and then the dragons swoop down and hets killed its works better on a couple levels.

It dosent make the shot so ridiculous. And therefor stops the well why didn't they just shoot the other dragon while it was on the ground question
Not just one ridiculous shot, three or four direct kill shots. All from mounted crossbows on moving ships in the ocean no less. THEN they miss with a volley of shots as Drogon approaches. That was awful writing and not to mention Drogon could have just flew past them and laid waste to the fleet from behind as ships are ever the slowest to turn around and the crossbows were forward mounted.

Also, how did the fleet get direct kill shots with no line of sight? They were not arched shots either they were straight on making it impossible as they were behind rocks.

How did Euron capture Melisandea? Did the fleet roam about the survivors and if so why did they not kill everyone. Tyrion and Varys were both there and would have a much larger impact against Dany.

That whole scene was questionable. Jon not riding Rhaegal for what reason? He'd rather take the month long trip to Kings Landing on horse back? Sleeping outside in brutally cold temperatures and whatever hardships he would he to endure. ---------- OH, I know why he didn't ride Rhaegal. It is because the dragon had to die and d&d didn't want to have Jon there when it happened. Ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The Witcher is another fantasy show born from books, but brought to popular mainstream through CD Projekt Red and their Witcher games. The books are incredible and so are the games.

I think it's coming out in the winter this year on Netflix. Also, Netflix was so happy with what they seen of the show so far that they said they want to green-light further seasons already.

I'm not a huge fan of the one book in the series I read, but the games are cool alright. I feel confident they'll do well (I also think computer games are just a better way of expanding fantasy books than TV anyway) because its well suited to that sort of format (the books are pretty episodic) and it's got plenty of hype.

I mean, there's no fantasy series out there that I like reading that I think can't be good TV series. But its difficult. The visuals will always be hard, and so too the balance between having something faithful enough to the books to bring in the established fans but streamlined enough to bring in those who aren't invested.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The witcher games are absolute master pieces so im very excited about that show. With the number of high budget fantasy shows coming out, hopefully atleast 1 is very very good.

Theres also a whole line-up of Marvel shows coming out (Falcon and Wintersoldier, WandaVision). And Jon favreau is in charge of the mandalorian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad