OT: Spoiler Alert [Spoiler Alert ((Spoiler Alert))] (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thread)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I mean, Zach Snyder already killed the property for me. I just wanted to make dumb intellectual jokes. :laugh:

I'm an apologist for Snyder's Watchmen. It's not "good" and I'll argue with anyone who says otherwise, but neither is it a total loss and it manages to be completely entertaining. I think Billy Crudup and Matthew Goode nailed their roles and some of the more stylish sequences (opening credits, backstory of Dr Manhattan, Comedian's funeral) were as slick as anything that exists in the genre.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Prometheus, Star Wars Into Darkness, etc
yeah his TV work is certainly better than his work in film. The stark contrast is actually pretty ridiculous now that I'm looking at it.

That said, A lot of really good writers/directors/actors whatever have had their share of stinkers. I really liked Watchmen, and I think The Leftovers is a top tier TV series. He's certainly not going to be everyone's style though.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm an apologist for Snyder's Watchmen. It's not "good" and I'll argue with anyone who says otherwise, but neither is it a total loss and it manages to be completely entertaining. I think Billy Crudup and Matthew Goode nailed their roles and some of the more stylish sequences (opening credits, backstory of Dr Manhattan, Comedian's funeral) were as slick as anything that exists in the genre.
That movie does a lot of good stuff, and a few really bad things that kill the original point of the story. I wholeheartedly disagree about Matthew Goode though. I don't know if it was bad acting, writing, directing, or a combination of all of them, but I think Ozy was arguably the worst adapted of the main characters in that movie.

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
yeah his TV work is certainly better than his work in film. The stark contrast is actually pretty ridiculous now that I'm looking at it.

That said, A lot of really good writers/directors/actors whatever have had their share of stinkers. I really liked Watchmen, and I think The Leftovers is a top tier TV series. He's certainly not going to be everyone's style though.

I can't speak to the Leftovers, but the issue I have with Lindelof isn't that he has a lot of stinkers on his resume (nobody's perfect...I wasn't really crazy about Chris Nolan's Insomnia), but that everything I've seen from him fails in the exact same way. 1) Seems cool conceptually 2) starts interesting 3) spirals into total failure. I find this more annoying than if his stuff was just obviously bad from the start.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can't speak to the Leftovers, but the issue I have with Lindelof isn't that he has a lot of stinkers on his resume (nobody's perfect...I wasn't really crazy about Chris Nolan's Insomnia), but that everything I've seen from him fails in the exact same way. 1) Seems cool conceptually 2) starts interesting 3) spirals into total failure. I find this more annoying than if his stuff was just obviously bad from the start.
I haven't seen most of the movies, but I loved The Leftovers and Watchmen start to finish. I honestly just don't think his storytelling style works well for movies. I do think he learned a lot from Lost about what not to do. Learning that he doesn't actually have to answer the big questions is the best thing about The Leftovers imo. Here's this big thing that happened and nobody knows why. But the story isn't about figuring it out, it's about how the world reacts to it. I hate the idea that Lost didn't answer enough questions; I think it tried too hard to answer questions that didn't need to be answered.

Reactions: vodeni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad