OT: Spoiler Alert [Spoiler Alert ((Spoiler Alert))] (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thread)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I read the Czech translations of the novels a few years ago, and I gotta say, I honestly thought the video games were better. :laugh: :dunno:

On a related note, anyone see the new His Dark Materials? How does it stack up to the books/the film?

I didn't particularly think much of the English translation I read either. The idea behind the universe is great, but the story, eh. Which makes it ideal adaption material!

Speaking of adaption material, if anyone wants to revisit some GoT rage, I found a long twitter thread of a Q&A that the writers did that helps explain a little of what wrong and just how raw they were -

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Haunt is a very good horror flick if you’re looking for one.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Watched Hereditary last night. It was the second time I've seen it and the first time my girlfriend had. I really wish I never had that one death spoiled for me, because my girlfriend was absolutely shocked.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I read the Czech translations of the novels a few years ago, and I gotta say, I honestly thought the video games were better. :laugh: :dunno:

On a related note, anyone see the new His Dark Materials? How does it stack up to the books/the film?

The video games WERE better. I played the games prior to reading the series, then decided to read the books after enjoying the games. It felt like the video games essentially took the characters and a rather boring story and fleshed it out into something interesting.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Yeah. It could have been summed up in 30 minutes. It was basically a love letter to fans that
Jesse made it to safety with the new identity guy
El Camino was god. Killer NM cinematography, great ties of story lines, just so damn good. I'm almost over the fact the last scene was Bridger Teton Nat'l Forest instead of the 50th state. Would have fooled me without seeing credits...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
El Camino was god. Killer NM cinematography, great ties of story lines, just so damn good. I'm almost over the fact the last scene was Bridger Teton Nat'l Forest instead of the 50th state. Would have fooled me without seeing credits...

I agree everything was great about it, but come on, story wise it was lacking big time. There is not much to tell in the BB world. Hence everything is mostly flash backs --- BCS is a prequel also.

I don't blame Vince for wanting to go back to the BB world more directly than Sauls show. But there is not much left to tell.

Reactions: canadianguy77

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I agree everything was great about it, but come on, story wise it was lacking big time. There is not much to tell in the BB world. Hence everything is mostly flash backs --- BCS is a prequel also.

I don't blame Vince for wanting to go back to the BB world more directly than Sauls show. But there is not much left to tell.
For sure, it was no Magnum Opus, but for two hours it was an entertaining and thrilling account of Jesse's post-slavery life. FWIW BCS stands on its own IMHO, maybe not BB, but F***, BB was the best TV ever, or at least stands among The Sopranos, The Wire, GOT. I know YRMV, but each of those shows are definitive in their own way.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
For sure, it was no Magnum Opus, but for two hours it was an entertaining and thrilling account of Jesse's post-slavery life. FWIW BCS stands on its own IMHO, maybe not BB, but F***, BB was the best TV ever, or at least stands among The Sopranos, The Wire, GOT. I know YRMV, but each of those shows are definitive in their own way.
and, to prove I'm not a pure knuckle dragger, I loved "Fleabag" and "Years and Years". That **** is also lights out...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Yeah, I enjoyed all 2 hours too.
I always tell myself about Jesse, he is a rat, don't feel for him. Of course I ended up rooting for him to make it even though there is the slimmest of slim that he will be killed.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Dave Filoni still a Pittsburgher, even though I'm sure he lives in California:

vdmftqplnax31.jpg

I'd love to meet him.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad