OT: Spoiler Alert [Spoiler Alert ((Spoiler Alert))] (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thread)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Got around to watching Sicario and was really underwhelmed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
@Ogrezilla

I'm assuming you watched the movie, which I liked. I don't get the people calling it a bad movie.

Overall I like the movie a lot, but I think it's very flawed. For one I don't like that they made Jupiter, Rorschach, and Night Owl "badass". The fight scenes that bother me the most. They are cool when they shouldn't be imo. I hate that they completely flipped the tone of the violence vs the comics. And they shouldn't all be "super" heroes. That's such a big point of the comic that Manhattan is the only actual superhero. I guess I'd add that Ozy feels a lot more evil in the movie vs the comic where it seems like he really is unhappy about what he is doing.

So it's a good movie imo, but clearly worse than the comic. And for as much as it gets praise for matching the comic, I really think it misses the point and tone.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I liked Watchmen. Maybe they spent more time concentrating on the coolness than the sadness - which is probably why I didn't like it as much as the comic - but I guess that's just part and parcel of big entertainment.

As for Sicario - I'd just tuned out by the ending. For me, everything was well done except for the script, and that left everyone trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. I just thought nothing really got enough depth or logic to really sell it.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I liked Watchmen. Maybe they spent more time concentrating on the coolness than the sadness - which is probably why I didn't like it as much as the comic - but I guess that's just part and parcel of big entertainment.
Yeah it's weird for me because I saw the movie before I read the comic. Obviously the movie didn't actually get worse because I read the comic, but it makes me wish the movie stayed a little truer to the original tone.
As for Sicario - I'd just tuned out by the ending. For me, everything was well done except for the script, and that left everyone trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. I just thought nothing really got enough depth or logic to really sell it.
When I think back to that movie I pretty much just remember the scene crossing the border and back. That scene is amazing imo, but the rest doesn't stand up to it. And to your point, they barely speak during that scene. It's just great directing and whatnot to really make you feel the tension.

Reactions: Peat

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ok about 'SEE'

Last night during the game I told some people I liked it, but I donno now.
Production, scenery and costume are great, but thats where my brain kicks in and says 'woooo hold up! How the f*** can tey do that BLIND!?'

There is not much to spoil, but I can''t get past the things they are able to do blind. I know fantasy is all about suspension of belief and all that, but.... I dont know.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Ok about 'SEE'

Last night during the game I told some people I liked it, but I donno now.
Production, scenery and costume are great, but thats where my brain kicks in and says 'woooo hold up! How the **** can tey do that BLIND!?'

There is not much to spoil, but I can''t get past the things they are able to do blind. I know fantasy is all about suspension of belief and all that, but.... I dont know.

Let me introduce you to Zatoichi, the blind swordsman. :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Let me introduce you to Zatoichi, the blind swordsman. :laugh:

That is some wild shit. I know blind people don't just walk into walls, my daughter could be legally blind, we have no idea how good she can actually see, if she can see anything of detail or just shapes or no colors or what. BUT, like everyone knows this, they make up for it elsewhere, she can see in the dark like a champ, we put stuff around her dark bedroom when she was younger and she found it. We did this because she was born with cat-like eyes (her colobomas (sp?)are shaped that way) and doctors told us she may have trouble seeing in the light, but be extra sensitive to low light and see very well in the dark - and she does - good and bad cause she struggles in the sunshine.

Not to make this about my kid, who is also legally deaf, f***ed up syndrome got the poor kid in the womb and she has missing (deleted genes. or is it chromosomes. It's been so long I forget, I think a gene. I talked with a few posters here about my kid, but I don't go into her much lately. She also has a photographic memory and was born dead for 10 (yes 10!) minutes upon emergency cesarean section and they couldn't get her resuscitated, but they tried 1 last guy 1 last time to get a breathing tube into her lungs and he pulled it off so she survived.

I keep getting off point... but you make up mega for where you lack... it is incredible to see it actually happening (my point with my kid) as she is incredible where she lacks and from the show I get that generations of this type of growth where lacking traits can become even greater.

I just mean in the show little things, like how do they build perfect houses or have little strings of leather with complex messages. Brail, brale? I can't even spell brail (sp???) is very complex bumps for the blind to read, but now they have leather strips with entire messages? COME ON.

Yes yes I know transformers don't really exist and there is no Luke Skytalker or XMen or mile long space ships that travel 10x the speed of light. Little nuances get me though, ya know, like the stuff YOU CAN MAKE REAL they don't.
And who the f*** dyes their clothing different colors!? AHHHH Yes, I'm the guy that yells at someone who gets toasted breadcrumbs in the butter, that shit pisses me off!

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Last movie I saw at a theater was The Goldfinch. Saw it out of pure boredom. It's not bad really, if you can tolerate slow films.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Last movie I saw at a theater was The Goldfinch. Saw it out of pure boredom. It's not bad really, if you can tolerate slow films.
Oh man I just watched 'The Pretty Little Thing That Lives In The House' on netflix. I think thats the title. And oh my goodness was it slow, boring, and non-eventful. What a pure dreadful watch I HIGHLY recommend extreme avoidance with this one.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, it's weird when Benicio del Torro's character turns out to be like the Colombian Punisher. But other than that, it's a great film.

Y'all are crazy. I thought that was a badass explanation for why he's doing what he's doing. The scene near the end with the guy's family was nuts.

Reactions: DanielPlainview

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I’m sure it was fine for the time but yeah. It’s a story that needs a new film or series to do it justice

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm so f***ing jacked for The Mandalorian. Boba Fett, for better or worse, was always my favorite OT character -- despite him doing nothing. Was probably my 10-year old brain running wild.

As much as I hate people bring up the Extended Universe (EU) in Star Wars, those bounty hunter stories were pretty good.

There's no way Disney could incorporate all of the EU stories in their new sequel trilogy films. And, guess what, Lucas ignored what he needed to when making the Clone Wars show. So it isn't a new thing ignoring those books, comics, and video games.

I do like that Filoni, a Pittsburgher, is essentially the king of all the new stories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad