OT: Spoiler Alert [Spoiler Alert ((Spoiler Alert))] (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thread)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Woah woah woah, there's still money to be made here. Take The Red Viper, Gus Fring, IG-88, and Apollo Creed and throw em in a pot

52lgg5X.jpg

Oh nice they added Ming-Na Wen. She's great in Shield.

tumblr_o1fvzqwc921qlujf1o1_500.gif

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
so on top of all the other stuff I was interested in now they go and add

She-Hulk
Moon Knight
Ms Marvel
Kenobi (or something including him, but I can't imagine they got McGregor if he's not the star)

yeah, Disney+ has me. Damn.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Anyone else really like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? I finally saw it this weekend and thought it was a blast. Not as good as Jackie Brown or Pulp Fiction, but easily up there in Tarrantino's top 4.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Anyone else really like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? I finally saw it this weekend and thought it was a blast. Not as good as Jackie Brown or Pulp Fiction, but easily up there in Tarrantino's top 4.
I really need to see it. I also need to see Jackie Brown. It's somehow his only other movie that I've never watched. I'm hoping this one stays strong the whole way through. I thought Django and The Hateful Eight were both really good for a lot of the movie, but both failed to stick the landing imo.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I really need to see it. I also need to see Jackie Brown. It's somehow his only other movie that I've never watched. I'm hoping this one stays strong the whole way through. I thought Django and The Hateful Eight were both really good for a lot of the movie, but both failed to stick the landing imo.

I found out a few weeks ago that the editor for Django and H8 was essentially the intern of Tarrantino's long-time editor, who died shortly before Django. So, in a way, that makes sense-- editing is so crucial to the pacing of a film and it's so subjective and individualistic that it can make a huge difference, especially if you're used to working with one editor for most of your career.

That said, despite being nearly 3 hours, I didn't think that OUATIH had any problems with pacing or editing (which is what I HATED about Hateful 8), though some people will be a bit disappointed that there's not as much action in the film as they would have liked. (That's my GF's big complaint, as a director herself.) But I think it's a stronger film for it-- it's got lots of the Tarrantino touches that I like (meticulous attention to detail, fantastic soundtracks and casting, great cinematography), plus it's less "Hey, remember this obscure thing" than his other films.

I will say, if you know anything about the Manson murders going in, it makes the viewing a better experience, but I'm not going to spoil anything by saying why. :laugh:

Ninja edit: Also of course you should see Jackie Brown, @Ogrezilla, and it's on Netflix, so get crackin' son! There's gonna be a quiz tomorrow! :laugh:

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I found out a few weeks ago that the editor for Django and H8 was essentially the intern of Tarrantino's long-time editor, who died shortly before Django. So, in a way, that makes sense-- editing is so crucial to the pacing of a film and it's so subjective and individualistic that it can make a huge difference, especially if you're used to working with one editor for most of your career.

That said, despite being nearly 3 hours, I didn't think that OUATIH had any problems with pacing or editing (which is what I HATED about Hateful 8), though some people will be a bit disappointed that there's not as much action in the film as they would have liked. (That's my GF's big complaint, as a director herself.) But I think it's a stronger film for it-- it's got lots of the Tarrantino touches that I like (meticulous attention to detail, fantastic soundtracks and casting, great cinematography), plus it's less "Hey, remember this obscure thing" than his other films.

I will say, if you know anything about the Manson murders going in, it makes the viewing a better experience, but I'm not going to spoil anything by saying why. :laugh:

I don't think editing could fix my real issue with Hateful 8. I just don't like
the whole twist of the brother in the floor. I feel like it kind of betrayed the tension that was built up through the rest of the movie.
I still liked it, but I just didn't care for the ending.

Django could have maybe been fixed. I just hate that it has basically a second ending. One ridiculous shootout worked. It was silly and over the top but fun. But then the second ridiculous shootout was just a drag.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think the problem with Django's final shootout is that it took waaaaaaaay too long. :laugh:

But editors are also responsible not just for the length of shots, but often too the order in which they appear. And I think you could juke a whole bunch of those scenes around in Django to make the film way more satisfying, as well as smoother.

I also really did not like Hateful 8, and that's coming from a big fan of spaghetti westerns. :dunno: But if I was ranking Tarantino films, I'd put them like this:

Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill (1&2)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Reservoir Dogs
Django
Inglorious Basterds
Deathproof
Hateful 8

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think the problem with Django's final shootout is that it took waaaaaaaay too long. :laugh:

But editors are also responsible not just for the length of shots, but often too the order in which they appear. And I think you could juke a whole bunch of those scenes around in Django to make the film way more satisfying, as well as smoother.

I also really did not like Hateful 8, and that's coming from a big fan of spaghetti westerns. :dunno: But if I was ranking Tarantino films, I'd put them like this:

Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill (1&2)
Reservoir Dogs
Django
Inglorious Basterds
Deathproof
Hateful 8
I'd probably do basically the same order but without Jackie Brown ranked since I haven't seen it, and IB ahead of Django. And there's a big gap after IB to the bottom 3 for me.

My thing with the final shootout is just why there needed to be two of them. If I'm remembering it right he has a shootout to escape and then like 5 or 10 minutes of screen time later he has another even bigger shootout to get both in and out. Just combine the two instead of having a 4th act.
All of this after the climax where the two most interesting characters in the movie died.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm due to rewatch Inglorious Basterds, to be honest, because I saw it Bulgaria with Bulgarian subtitles for the French scenes. :laugh: I understand German well enough, but sitting through 45 minutes of French dialog trying to rely on my linguistics courses to help me read Bulgarian subtitles did not endear the film to me AT ALL.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm due to rewatch Inglorious Basterds, to be honest, because I saw it Bulgaria with Bulgarian subtitles for the French scenes. :laugh: I understand German well enough, but sitting through 45 minutes of French dialog trying to rely on my linguistics courses to help me read Bulgarian subtitles did not endear the film to me AT ALL.
Yeah that sounds rough. Isn't more than half of the dialogue in the movie subtitled basically? I remember a buddy burned me a copy of Kill Bill and it didn't have subtitles.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah that sounds rough. Isn't more than half of the dialogue in the movie subtitled basically? I remember a buddy burned me a copy of Kill Bill and it didn't have subtitles.

Something like 60% or so. It was pretty terrible. :laugh: So, I figure I owe to myself to rewatch it with some real-ass subtitles for once.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Something like 60% or so. It was pretty terrible. :laugh: So, I figure I owe to myself to rewatch it with some real-ass subtitles for once.

Regardless of subtitles, I liked IB way more the second time I watched it. The first time I was just expecting a completely different movie than what it actually was. Focusing on the Basterds in the advertising really didn't give any sort of idea of what the movie was going to be.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Everything I watch I watch with subtitles.
I do not understand how people do not use subtitles when watching tv. I can't watch tv or movies without subtitles - it is insane not using subtitles!

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Report back, I'd like to hear what you thought.
About 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood':

My copy stinks so I only watched half of it and I'm definitely missing out due to audio fidelity so I'm going to wait for a better copy before finishing. I liked it so far though.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Best Tarantino movie, imo, is True Romance. He may not have directed it, but it's everything that's great about his movies and then some.

I agree that Hateful 8 was sort of a waste of time. It's sort of like he wanted to do another Reservoir Dogs 1 room thing, but that didn't need to be done.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The end of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is one of the best I've ever scene. Like Handshake said, knowing the background of the Manson murders makes the scene and movie.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
About 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood':

My copy stinks so I only watched half of it and I'm definitely missing out due to audio fidelity so I'm going to wait for a better copy before finishing. I liked it so far though.
That stinks, but you are wise holding out for better audio quality. Not only is that film a love story for QT and So. Cal, stunt doubles, feet, and Ms. Tate, but the accompanying soundtrack is superb and surprising.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea

Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill (1&2)
Reservoir Dogs
Django
Inglourious Basterds
Deathproof
Hateful 8
Good list. Totally agree about Hateful 8.

My ranking, though the top 8 are totally interchangeable except for the #1 spot:
Pulp Fiction
... and a four way tie for second place-
Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs
Inglorious Basterds
...at #6 Django
Kill Bill (1&2)
True Romance (as writer)
From Dusk to Dawn (as writer)
Hateful 8
* EDIT: Dang, nearly forgot, forgive me for not giving some cred for his original screenplay "Natural Born Killers"...

Last edited:

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
No, the French in the incredible opening scene is subtitled for 10 minutes or so until Waltz requests permission to speak English, and yeah, there are a few more subtitles down the road, but basically the Nazis speak "the King's language" along with everyone else. Except for Aldo Raines, who speaks Tennesseean... "Now, I don't know about y'all, but I sure as hell didn't come down from the goddamn Smoky Mountains, cross five thousand miles of water, fight my way through half of Sicily and jump out of a f***in' air-o-plane to teach the Nazis lessons in humanity. Nazi ain't got no humanity. They're the foot soldiers of a Jew-hatin', mass murderin' maniac and they need to be dee-stroyed. That's why any and every son of a bitch we find wearin' a Nazi uniform, they're gonna die."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad