OT: Spoiler Alert [Spoiler Alert ((Spoiler Alert))] (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thread)

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'll warn you, it's SLOOOOOOOW. It's probably the most Refn-paced Refn movie I've ever seen.

Yeah I only watched the first episode last night. Visuals and soundtrack were what stood out in a positive way. The story line seems decent though.

Of his work I've only see Bronson, Drive, and bits and pieces of both Valhalla Rising and Only God Forgives. Seems that he likes making his main protagonist amoral. Not sure if that's the right word.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Appreciate the spoiler tags on Once Upon a Time. We're not getting it over here for another month. :(

Just saw it last night...if you like slower paced films about the movie business and have nostalgia for the late 60s, it’s great...it has trademark Tarantino violence and martial arts but it’s really a buddy film...a lot of people won’t like it, but then I hate all the superhero **** that is out, so it’s perfect for me...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
This is the video game thread too right?

I'm playing this and it is actually great!!!!

Anyone else play it? I'm on pc. I think it is pc only anyways.

maxresdefault.jpg

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I am enjoying HBO’s Euphoria. It is kind of ridiculous, but has kept my attention. Still have a few episodes left.

What is the broo ha ha about that show again?

Is it nudity? Inter-racial ships? I forget what the shock value aspect of the show is.

Do you know?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Is it nudity? Inter-racial ships? I forget what the shock value aspect of the show is.

Do you know?
I'd say the cinematography, costume design, and music are the best things about the show. Good acting too. Even if it's pretty damn melodramatic, it's well acted melodrama.

I guess it's kind of shock value in the fact that almost everyone sucks in at least some big way. But interracial, same-sex, transgender etc relationships are all treated like it's just another relationship. I guess that shocks some? There is a ton of drama, but none of that stuff plays much in to most of the drama. Drugs and violence and general toxicity etc bring the drama.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'd say the cinematography, costume design, and music are the best things about the show. Good acting too. Even if it's pretty damn melodramatic, it's well acted melodrama.

I guess it's kind of shock value in the fact that almost everyone sucks in at least some big way. But interracial, same-sex, transgender etc relationships are all treated like it's just another relationship. I guess that shocks some? There is a ton of drama, but none of that stuff plays much in to most of the drama. Drugs and violence and general toxicity etc bring the drama.
Thats the stuff right there.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Pens1566

How did netflix drop the ball on not winning the 'Workaholics' contract?

They obviously wanted it in some fashion since they hired the same 4 guys to make that netflix movie.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!

Iko Uwais has his own netflix series?!?!
Mannnnnnn,he is the Jackie Chan of modern Kung-fu. Iko practices Silat and I'm not sure what Jackie's discipline is.

Anyone ever see 'The Raid' and most importantly, have you seen 'The Raid 2' ??????????? Iko is absolutely incredible and the action scenes are unlike anything I've seen recently, since 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon' maybe.
Gareth Evans wrote and directed them and now his follow up film he wrote and directed (on netflix) is 'Apostle'.
Gareth Evans is an outstanding writer / director.

But more importantly, Iko is a must watch if you like action. He is just balls to the wall with his Silat martial arts / discipline. I wonder if he does all his own stunts like the great Jackie Chan did.

Oh... the netflix show is 'Wu Assassins'. I almost forget to mention it I'm so excited. The first 15 seconds says of the first episode says everything. hahah

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!

Iko Uwais has his own netflix series?!?!
Mannnnnnn,he is the Jackie Chan of modern Kung-fu. Iko practices Silat and I'm not sure what Jackie's discipline is.

Anyone ever see 'The Raid' and most importantly, have you seen 'The Raid 2' ??????????? Iko is absolutely incredible and the action scenes are unlike anything I've seen recently, since 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon' maybe.
Gareth Evans wrote and directed them and now his follow up film he wrote and directed (on netflix) is 'Apostle'.
Gareth Evans is an outstanding writer / director.

But more importantly, Iko is a must watch if you like action. He is just balls to the wall with his Silat martial arts / discipline. I wonder if he does all his own stunts like the great Jackie Chan did.

Oh... the netflix show is 'Wu Assassins'. I almost forget to mention it I'm so excited. The first 15 seconds says of the first episode says everything. hahah

I never knew his name, but loved him in both The Raid movies. I actually lent my one co-worker those Blu Rays.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Do you know?

Some people objected to comments by the director that they say indicated his intention was to market the show to children. Whether that's what HBO is doing, I can't say, but that's why people were bent out of shape.

My take is that with no new GoT (and with the poor reaction to the final season, the spinoff isn't going to find an audience), with cable TV subscription numbers cratering and with deeper pocket entities finally jumping into the subscription streaming market with both feet, HBO's days are numbered, so worrying about a show on HBO is like worried about whatever MTV is doing. I wouldn't be surprised if HBO Now's subscriber numbers were cut in half since Game's series finale.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Can Netflix honestly just buy the rights and bring back seasons of 'The Ren and Stimpy Show'!?!?!?!!!!!!!

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The Rocko's Modern Life special had my inner 6 year old self giddy. It didn't disappoint. I wish Nickelodeon would sell all their pre-Spongebob stuff since they seem to want nothing to do with it

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad