Spider-Man - Released - PS4

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Like if I go into one of your artsy foreign film threads and I'm all
"Yes, but really does this motion picture have a story, with videography, background scenery, on a digital copy with contrast of light and dark? I want none of that. So tell me does it work on screens to see with your senses or is it just a popcorn movie?? I don't mean innovation like recording it on film itself. But rather than the generic watch it on a screen type story, I also want it on film with a deep story, meaty videography, and a grabby contrast."

Get lost.
Ok guy.

I'll rate it on a Shareefruck movie type system for you:

It's a 8.25V
The V being for Video games that are playable but not quite on my own idiotic scale of 0-10/A or 0-10/G or 6.45/10A.

You get the idea. Unfortunately it is novelty, self fulfillment, escapism, fantasy fulfillment, immersion and simulation" that all video games are. I don't know that there's ever been a more dead-serious full of themselves look down the nose sentence ever said on HF than that gem.

You'll hate it.
Still makes me laugh someone even wrote that, all that's missing is a monocle and a fainting spell.
Yeesh.

There are things that I like and dislike about videogames that I'll either elevate or be dismissive of, just like anyone else should about what they like and dislike. There's no need to take offense to that or feel insulted based on the fact that they step on your toes and differ wildly from your own perception. I didn't comment on the people who like the stuff I don't, I just scoffed at the kinds of things I didn't like.

It's just a specific, personal, honestly expressed concern that I was curious about. If you wanted, it would be perfectly reasonable for you to do the same thing and express concern about whether a movie will be too focused on artsy fartsy sensibilities that you find obnoxious, asking if the thing is actually entertaining, if that's what you find valuable, and while I might disagree with that value system or choice of adjectives, it would be overly sensitive and unreasonable for me to feel insulted by that or suggest that you're thumbing your nose at people or something.

The response I got from Do Make Say Think suggested that my suspicions weren't too far off, and what is desired was just weighted differently, which is a fair enough point to respectfully disagree on.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Spidey can't take hits as well as Bats, dodging is super duper important in this game (and enemies are far more aggressive than in Arkham games). I must be getting close to the end of the second act and enemies hit insanely hard.

I decided to pick it up.

Only just scratched the surface, but so far I'm loving it.

Interesting in terms of deep, meaty, and rewarding systems, design, and mechanics (and possibly artistry/charm/creativity to a lesser extent) rather than surface level novelty, "entertainment", escapism, fantasy-fulfillment, immersion, and simulation (like what most VR games typically would be). Game-changing technological innovation doesn't really have anything to do with what I'm talking about, as all of these things are a side of videogames that I don't particularly care about.

Basically, I'm just curious if it's like the video-game equivalent of a high production value, carefully considered pop-corn movie with a generic but serviceable story that just takes you on a fun and thrilling ride, and is so well reviewed for that reason, or if there's more to it than that. Those are my suspicions at the moment (not that anyone should feel bad if it is and if they disagree about the value of that).

But I think I got my answer from the past few posts.

So basically, is it mechanically sound or flashy?

I only just picked it up, but so far I'd say it's both (minus a few control scheme oddities).

I'd also say it's got plenty of escapism/fantasy/etc., which doesn't surprise me since it's a) a story-based video game and 2) a superhero video game, but we've respectfully disagreed on that particular topic before. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I decided to pick it up.

Only just scratched the surface, but so far I'm loving it.

So basically, is it mechanically sound or flashy?

I only just picked it up, but so far I'd say it's both (minus a few control scheme oddities).

I'd also say it's got plenty of escapism/fantasy/etc., which doesn't surprise me since it's a) a story-based video game and 2) a superhero video game, but we've respectfully disagreed on that particular topic before. :laugh:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not treating those qualities like actual negatives that I resent it for having or something in this case. I'm just concerned that that alone makes up the bulk of what its appeal is.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I'm not treating those qualities like actual negatives that I resent it for having or something. I'm just wondering how strong the actual game design part is on top of that.

Yeah, fair enough. I just thought I'd point out that they are there.

Even just mechanically, I'd say the game is a lot of fun to play. Take my input with a grain of salt, however, as I'm probably less than an hour in.

It's a bit weird, but just webslinging around town is honestly the most fun thing so far. :laugh:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I'm not treating those qualities like actual negatives that I resent it for having or something in this case. I'm just concerned that that alone makes up the bulk of what its appeal is.

The game is a lot of fun to play, not to think about. Give it a shot and you'll see what we all mean.

I finished it today and yeah, the home stretch is really good and the end surprisingly emotional.

Great stuff all around.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The game is a lot of fun to play, not to think about. Give it a shot and you'll see what we all mean.

I finished it today and yeah, the home stretch is really good and the end surprisingly emotional.

Great stuff all around.
What I'm mostly hearing re-inforces my reservations, but that gives me a pretty good idea of what to make of its popularity, thanks.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Does anyone else feel like the game occasionally glitches out and refuses to accept controller inputs?

I was doing one of the missions where you need to stop those vans driving around with the bombs in the back and once I got to the driver Spider-Man started to refuse to dodge when his spider senses hit and he refused to punch when the QTE said to punch. He just sat on top of the cab and got shot point blank over and over again. Once I died and restarted it then worked perfectly fine.

I feel like that has happened 2 or 3 times to me so far.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I've played all of the Arkham games except for Knight (it's collecting dust in my PS4 collection), and LOVED all of them (Batman is my favorite comic universe) . As well as loving the Spiderman games of the old days, and just loving superhero games and superhero things in general I'm really looking forward to picking up this game. The reviews that I'm seeing from friends and peers online are definitely pushing me toward getting it. I haven't dropped $60 on a new game in quite a while, but I think that this might be the one.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I love Arkham Knight. I beat it on my brother's XBox back when it came out.

The Batmobile stuff is intrusive at first, but once you get used to it and upgrade it a bit it is great fun.

Spider-Man is absolutely the equal of the Arkham series. Can't wait for the next superhero to get this treatment.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Been playing this all week. Man I am loving it.

I am at the point now where I am trying to fly through the story just so I can listen to all the spoiler podcasts.

The little minigame things are so obtrusive though. They serve literally no purpose. I am going to end up with just a bunch of those annoying missions left over at the end of the game.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I am at the point now where I am trying to fly through the story just so I can listen to all the spoiler podcasts.

The little minigame things are so obtrusive though. They serve literally no purpose. I am going to end up with just a bunch of those annoying missions left over at the end of the game.

I do most of them right away once I get access to them. Some of the lab ones were fun but yeah they are just whatever to try and get you to do something if you want a break from the story.

I just have a couple new base and crime ones left over. I think I'm at 80-85% complete. One suit left to unlock.

I wish there was more Podcast-type content in the game. Definitely one of my favorite things and gives me Joker Arkham Asylum vibes which I was all about.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I've played all of the Arkham games except for Knight (it's collecting dust in my PS4 collection), and LOVED all of them (Batman is my favorite comic universe) . As well as loving the Spiderman games of the old days, and just loving superhero games and superhero things in general I'm really looking forward to picking up this game. The reviews that I'm seeing from friends and peers online are definitely pushing me toward getting it. I haven't dropped $60 on a new game in quite a while, but I think that this might be the one.

Arkham Knight is by far the best game of the franchise, don't listen to the haters, it's fantastic and the ending is legit amazing.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Arkham Knight got hate for literally no reason. It is everything that was great about all the previous games PLUS THE f***ING BATMOBILE!

maxresdefault.jpg

I am going to end up downloading this game for PS4 tonight if I keep thinking about driving that Batmobile around.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Arkham Knight is by far the best game of the franchise, don't listen to the haters, it's fantastic and the ending is legit amazing.

That ending was phenomenal.

I tend to skip a lot of the side material in open world games like this, but the main story line was awesome. It made up for the bitter taste the PC port gave me at launch, and then some. A lot of some.

I enjoyed the first two games in the trilogy, but Knight was on another level IMO, although those City boss fights were excellent.

So far, I'd I totally agree with you on Spider-Man: it feels less weighty, but more fast paced. I like it a lot.

If Spider-Man can leave me with as good an impression as Arkham Knight, I'll be one happy camper.

Arkham Knight got hate for literally no reason. It is everything that was great about all the previous games PLUS THE ****ING BATMOBILE!

As I referenced above, I think a lot of the hate came from PC players after WB farmed out the PC port to a studio and gave them something like 2 weeks to do it. It was basically unplayable for a lot of people.

However, once they fixed it...fantastic game.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Lots to love about his game.

I wish the boss battles were more interesting/challenging though. They all feel pretty one note.

The vintage comic Spider-man costume is f***ing dope as hell though.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm only about an hour into the game, but it really feels a bit more polished than some of the other games. That could also be because I'm playing on a PS4 now, whereas the other games in the series I played on an aging middle-of-the-road Laptop, which couldn't run games at high settings.

That ending was phenomenal.

I tend to skip a lot of the side material in open world games like this, but the main story line was awesome. It made up for the bitter taste the PC port gave me at launch, and then some. A lot of some.

I enjoyed the first two games in the trilogy, but Knight was on another level IMO, although those City boss fights were excellent.

So far, I'd I totally agree with you on Spider-Man: it feels less weighty, but more fast paced. I like it a lot.

If Spider-Man can leave me with as good an impression as Arkham Knight, I'll be one happy camper.

As I referenced above, I think a lot of the hate came from PC players after WB farmed out the PC port to a studio and gave them something like 2 weeks to do it. It was basically unplayable for a lot of people.

However, once they fixed it...fantastic game.
I'm on the PS4 and just started it yesterday, so I'm glad I don't have to deal with that. I remember faintly hearing about it.

Arkham Knight got hate for literally no reason. It is everything that was great about all the previous games PLUS THE ****ING BATMOBILE!

maxresdefault.jpg

I am going to end up downloading this game for PS4 tonight if I keep thinking about driving that Batmobile around.
Yeah, I'm really happy with the game so far, I enjoy it a lot and I'm only about an hour in.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

maxresdefault.jpg

Hate for no reason? Really?

The Arkham series was probably my favorite in gaming and the tank battles completely ruined AK. I tried starting a second play through a month back and could barely get into it. It ruins the immersion and it feels like a chore every time.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I'm quite enjoying Spider-Man, with a few caveats.

While it's a very fun game on the main path, the "open world syndrome" hurts it a bit in my eyes. It's very assassin creed-like in its side fluff, up to and including the radio towers/viewpoints...and while I enjoyed the core of the AC games I've played, the side fluff is overwhelmingly dull in my personal opinion.

I've also experienced some camera glitches...or perhaps just inconveniences, particularly during boss fights. For some reason, the camera loves to hug the back of your head, making it impossible to see where you are going or what you are clipping on that is preventing you from dodging. Quite annoying.

All that said, I'm really enjoying the core of this game. Swinging around town and stopping crimes in general is fun, and the main storyline seems to be well crafted. A recommend from me, especially if you enjoy the Arkham and/or AC games.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I will say I'm annoyed with the non-Spider-Man stealth sections. Never did much care for that type of stealth.

Also on the annoying and/or amusing side, does Spidey really have to blather on about needing to keep up with pigeons every time I'm doing a car chase? Like you're being shot at man, leave the pigeon alone! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad