Spider-Man - Released - PS4

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As expected: production values and gameplay carry the game (read a lot of positive about the plot too), I don't care about repetitive gameplay since I don't play games as much as I used to.

Really looking forward to Friday.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
General consensus seems to be that the main story, characters and gameplay are terrifc while the side quests and open world design could've been better.

Thats the opposite of what I wanted. :(

Still getting it Friday though.

No black suit has me vexed tho. :madfire:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I saw some footage of a black suit with a red spider logo on it posted somewhere so maybe that will satisfy your itch?

Nope. There are like 5 other "black" suits in the game and they're all ugly.

There is only one true black suit.

latest

Well, two, because there is a cloth version of it and the alien symbiote version.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Thats the opposite of what I wanted. :(

Still getting it Friday though.

No black suit has me vexed tho. :madfire:

Why's that?

Personally, for me, the fact that the gameplay, presentation and story are lauded, is amazing. Every review, I have read says that it's a blast just swinging through the city.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Story stuff always bores me. In almost every game.

I also love side missions. I feel like they're what really fleshes out any game world.

But also bad side missions gives me flashbacks to shitty side missions from past Spider-Man games.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Side missions are almost always repetitive in open world games (even in Witcher 3 they all played the exact same) but I find that as long as you don't brute force the game (binge it in 3+ hour sessions) it is far less of an issue.

I didn't have a problem with the repetition in Arkham Knight for example (although less copy/paste content is always preferable)

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
DmQsTFsX0AEB-Px.jpg

For any complaints I might have, this right here clinches the purchase for me. I've been waiting since the 90's for the chance to play as Scarlet-Spider.

I think a SS suit was in the old Neversoft PS1 Spidey game, but that game barely counts.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Side missions are almost always repetitive in open world games (even in Witcher 3 they all played the exact same) but I find that as long as you don't brute force the game (binge it in 3+ hour sessions) it is far less of an issue.

I didn't have a problem with the repetition in Arkham Knight for example (although less copy/paste content is always preferable)

The Witcher also had some quality side quests that tied into the plot or referenced past games, and (as I recall) did a pretty decent job letting you know which ones were the interesting quests and which were the filler.

I love me a good open world game with interesting side quests that tie into the plot. Many of them, unfortunately, get bogged down by repetitive make-work quests.

Just my take though. I know a lot of people enjoy having a lot to do.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The Witcher also had some quality side quests that tied into the plot or referenced past games, and (as I recall) did a pretty decent job letting you know which ones were the interesting quests and which were the filler.

I love me a good open world game with interesting side quests that tie into the plot. Many of them, unfortunately, get bogged down by repetitive make-work quests.

Just my take though. I know a lot of people enjoy having a lot to do.

The writing in the Witcher sidequests was great but in terms of gameplay it was always: go here, listen/fight, witcher sense follow something and then fight again. It worked but gameplay wise they were ultra repetitive and yet a lot of people didn't complain about the repetition as much as they would for a Ubisoft game.

Granted they aren't going about it the same way and writing can elevate something mundane but I just wanted to make the point that repetition isn't necessarily an issue. I don't expect Spider-Man to have Witcher-level sidequests though ;)

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Witcher 3 open world was way too large for the tools it gave you in terms of fast travel and actual ability to traverse the landscape with your character.

Spiderman definitely wouldn't be hurt by that scale of though.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I think the best open world game as far as side quests goes is still Mercenaries 2. Not in what the missions asked of you, but the tools it gave you to finish the mission how ever the hell you wanted.

Need to get medical supplies across a mine field under a certain amount of time? You could try driving them... Or you could just call in a chopper and airlift the ambulance they're in itself over the mine field.

Need to kill an enemy officer at a press conference? Sure you could use a sniper rifle, or just airstrike the entire city block he's in with napalm.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd also argue Breath of the Wild did open world well. It threw you "here, go kill Ganon." It was up to you to decide how. Want to fight him right after getting out of the tutorial area? You got it. You want to spend time painstakingly gearing up, exploring the world as you see fit? Sure.

Everything could be done in any order along with the dungeons/shrines having multiple answers for puzzles. Nintendo's first real attempt at open, open world and they nailed it.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Witcher 3 open world was way too large for the tools it gave you in terms of fast travel and actual ability to traverse the landscape with your character.

Spiderman definitely wouldn't be hurt by that scale of though.
The Witcher world was filled with awesome places, enemies, and secrets to find though. I literally did my first playthrough without fast travelling and only using roach maybe 4-5 times because I wanted to search every spot in the game.

Anyhow, good reviews here but I'll be waiting for a sale because it's not a must play game for me right now.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I'm glad that they seem like they've managed to make the city feel populated. The Arkham games always find some excuse to remove every civilian and it always feels antithetical to what Batman is actually about in the first place.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
DmQsTFsX0AEB-Px.jpg

For any complaints I might have, this right here clinches the purchase for me. I've been waiting since the 90's for the chance to play as Scarlet-Spider.

I think a SS suit was in the old Neversoft PS1 Spidey game, but that game barely counts.

Scarlet Spider is in Amazing Spider-Man 2, which isn’t a bad game once you get the hang of controls.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Have a strong eye on this one. Probably won't pick it up day one unless I have a real change of heart in the next day or two... got enough in the backlog. But I'll probably grab it the first price drop I see.

Nice to see the game is reviewing very well. Spidey is probably my favorite of the superheroes, though I'm not a big comic book/superhero/Marvel guy in general. :D

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm glad that they seem like they've managed to make the city feel populated. The Arkham games always find some excuse to remove every civilian and it always feels antithetical to what Batman is actually about in the first place.

Batman almost never interacts with civilians anyway. This point is way overblown because it is easy to notice.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Its a really lame contrivance the way Batman stories (not just Arkham, look at Dark Knight Returns) run with this "all the civilians are gone and the city is now populated exclusively by irredeemable criminals" thing.

That early montage in Spider-Man: Homecoming, where Peter is just trying to do 'friendly neighborhood Spider-Man' things...the "do a flip Spider-Man!" moment.....that shit is what makes Spider-Man so great. Those filmmakers absolutely nailed that character.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not skipping this one, but definitely not spending full price either. Something to tackle next year for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->