Spider-Man - Released - PS4

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I got killed by so many no name thugs in my first couple hours. I loved when they would kill Spidey and then start flexing over his ragdolled body. :laugh:

Combat is definitely different from Arkham. That is why I was dying so much at first. Arkham is about sitting back and waiting to counter but this game will actually punish you if you try to fight that same way. Really starting to get the hang of combat though and learning to use the gadgets to their full effect.

This is a perfect Spider-Man game. Surely there is a sequel coming , and it will be more perfect, but god dammit this game is f***ing perfect.

edit: oh ya, and when you kick guys off the side of a skyscraper they fall for a little bit but then you see some little flying device thingy shoot them with webs and they get stuck to the building.

Last edited:
Reactions: HFBCommenter

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yeah my first 2 hours I struggled so bad with the combat lol Fisk handed me my lunch once or twice. Gotten the hang of it now and it is so damm satisfying. One of the more addictive games I have played in a long long time.

Reactions: Loosie

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I have a hell of time switching gadgets during a fight, on that front I liked Arkham a lot more

Me too, but I think it may come with time. I still forget basic things like which button brings up the gadget wheel.

I still need to get the hang of using L2 the way it slows down time and lets you do things. I am still a mess at using that.

I think unlocking more combat skills will make a huge difference as well. I am really looking forward to playing New Game Plus.

How far is anyone in the story? I just finished the mission where you finally meet Miles...
that was so stupid....this kid is running over top of collapsed scaffolding and buildings ...its a great game, and I like the story so far, but the lengths they go to make the "regular people" behave like superheros is really eye rolling.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Spidey can't take hits as well as Bats, dodging is super duper important in this game (and enemies are far more aggressive than in Arkham games). I must be getting close to the end of the second act and enemies hit insanely hard.

Sounds like I'm going to have trouble at first. :laugh:

Still worth a pickup? I'm thinking I might go for it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Me too, but I think it may come with time. I still forget basic things like which button brings up the gadget wheel.

I still need to get the hang of using L2 the way it slows down time and lets you do things. I am still a mess at using that.

I think unlocking more combat skills will make a huge difference as well. I am really looking forward to playing New Game Plus.

How far is anyone in the story? I just finished the mission where you finally meet Miles...
that was so stupid....this kid is running over top of collapsed scaffolding and buildings ...its a great game, and I like the story so far, but the lengths they go to make the "regular people" behave like superheros is really eye rolling.

I just defeated

Mr. Negative and sent him to jail. Sounds like Doc Oc is about to make his appearance and I assume this will lead into Act 3 with the Sinister Six

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sounds like I'm going to have trouble at first. :laugh:

Still worth a pickup? I'm thinking I might go for it.

I am having a blast so I'd say so.

I am not sure I'd put it on the level of Arkham Knight but it's pretty damn close. Traversal in this is exceptional but Arkham Knight had more variety in it's gameplay (but I liked the Batmobile).

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I am having a blast so I'd say so.

I am not sure I'd put it on the level of Arkham Knight but it's pretty damn close. Traversal in this is exceptional but Arkham Knight had more variety in it's gameplay (but I liked the Batmobile).

I liked Arkham Knight a lot (well, once I got it running because I couldn't run it at launch).

I also liked the batmobile, but they did overdo it. I think a few less tank battles would've actually served it well.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My first impression is that it sounds like a fun/addictive, light-hearted and polished labor of love to the series (probably close to the best that this kind of thing can be), but not necessarily something super interesting, rich, or brilliant overall. Are these reservations more or less accurate?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
My first impression is that it sounds like a fun/addictive, light-hearted and polished labor of love to the series (probably close to the best that this kind of thing can be), but not necessarily something super interesting, rich, or brilliant overall. Are these reservations more or less accurate?
A lot of the actions or tasks can tend to be slightly repetitive and in a normal game it would without a doubt get very tedious but the traversal and web slinging is so well done and addicting that it doesn't matter quite as much. It absolutely has it's warts, I think they haven't exactly utilized the villains as well as they could have and like I said a lot of the tasks are very repetitive. I think they absolutely nailed Spiderman the character. The biggest thing this game did was it set up the foundation and world for a truly amazing second game of the series and they have a ton of directions they could go with it. I haven't finished the game but I would probably have it in the 8.5/10 range.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
The combat does absolutely take a bit of time to get used to, the dodge button on Circle is so out of tune with my mind telling me triangle is always counter. Not sure why they did that.

But the rest of the game is amazing. Even the side missions remind me more of side missions you'd see in an RPG - like the Imposter Spider-Man side mission and this moron is fighting alongside you. You can't help but laugh while trying to kick ass yourself. Trying new flips in the air and getting XP for them, too much fun, like old Tony Hawk days.

Photo mode stupidly fun, making my own Amazing Spider-Man covers even if nobody will ever see them, or I get a laugh out of taking selfies at the most inopportune moments. Spiderman selfie with a thumbs up while some lady is burning alive, or some guy trapped under a bus. Always makes me laugh.

Somehow just walking down the street giving high fives with people yelling "You're the best, Spider-Man!" is really satisfying.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just got to what has to be the home stretch of the story and things really pick up, pretty exciting stuff.

Also the enemies now are even more silly strong...

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I haven't bought a NEW (non-sports) console game since GTA 5 dropped, I'm looking forward to picking this game up after seeing how great of reviews it's getting (from actual players, not major companies/periodicals). I REALLY loved the Arkham series, and am looking forward to playing a game in the same vein.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Fun >>>> interesting

Your assessment isn't wrong but it does fall into the modern trapping of equating interesting with fun. That's a super deep topic I'm only starting to investigate.

Rich and brilliant? I'm not sure many games deserve those kind of epithets honestly. I'd never hold their absence against a game.

Reactions: Pilky01

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A lot of the actions or tasks can tend to be slightly repetitive and in a normal game it would without a doubt get very tedious but the traversal and web slinging is so well done and addicting that it doesn't matter quite as much. It absolutely has it's warts, I think they haven't exactly utilized the villains as well as they could have and like I said a lot of the tasks are very repetitive. I think they absolutely nailed Spiderman the character. The biggest thing this game did was it set up the foundation and world for a truly amazing second game of the series and they have a ton of directions they could go with it. I haven't finished the game but I would probably have it in the 8.5/10 range.
Thanks for the info.
Fun >>>> interesting

Your assessment isn't wrong but it does fall into the modern trapping of equating interesting with fun. That's a super deep topic I'm only starting to investigate.

Rich and brilliant? I'm not sure many games deserve those kind of epithets honestly. I'd never hold their absence against a game.
Wouldn't I be closer to doing the opposite of equating interesting with fun? Just trying to gauge if my skepticism is reflective of what the game actually is.

I get the feeling from what I'm seeing that it really taps into that escapist, wanting to feel and move like Spiderman thing flawlessly, and is loaded with easter eggs/set pieces/stuff to do, but that the meat of the game design/mechanics is more of an passable generic thing that doesn't stand out as all that interesting. There would be nothing wrong with that, but it wouldn't interest me much if that's the case. But maybe I'm wrong and there's more to it than that, which is why I'm asking.

Also, is that meant to be a greater than symbol or an "leads to" arrow symbol?

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Thanks for the info.
Wouldn't I be closer to doing the opposite of equating interesting with fun? Just trying to gauge if my skepticism is reflective of what the game actually is.

I get the feeling from what I'm seeing that it really taps into that escapist, wanting to feel and move like Spiderman thing flawlessly, and is loaded with easter eggs/set pieces/stuff to do, but that the meat of the game design/mechanics is more of an passable generic thing that doesn't stand out as all that interesting. There would be nothing wrong with that, but it wouldn't interest me much if that's the case. But maybe I'm wrong and there's more to it than that.

Also, is that meant to be a greater than symbol or an "leads to" arrow symbol?

Meant to be "greater than". Interesting and fun are two very different things and plenty of interesting things aren't fun.

This is all in the context of games in general mind you.

And you aren't wrong, your description is more than apt but it's just a description, playing the game is a lot more fun than thinking about it ;)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Meant to be "greater than". Interesting and fun are two very different things and plenty of interesting things aren't fun.

This is all in the context of games in general mind you.

And you aren't wrong, your description is more than apt but it's just a description, playing the game is a lot more fun than thinking about it ;)
Not on board with that-- fun without interest has little to no appeal/value to me in general (especially when there are things that excel at both). But thanks for the confirmation/answer anyways.

Last edited:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Not on board with that-- fun without interest has little to no appeal/value to me in general (especially when there are things that excel at both). But thanks for the confirmation/answer anyways.

What do you mean by interesting? In a genre breaking way like Grand Theft Auto was introducing a whole new style of gaming? Or interesting in game to play?

It's not going to break the current mode of games, I'm not imaginative to think of how a game could. It's an open world game with a good story, you're Peter Parker/Spider-Man and main missions, side missions, and it's just a lot of fun. Where games like Assassins Creed often miss the boat, being frustrating, repetitive, a chore at times - this one doesn't miss a beat from the moment you start - you are Spider-Man and kick ass beginning to end. Side missions are actually fun, New York City looks better than Google Maps.

But if you want innovation, I'm not sure you'll get it. Like ever in any game, with the way games are now. You might be looking more in the route of VR if you want an experience you've never had. Batman Arkham VR on PSVR is entirely mind-blowing. But short. Spiderman Homecoming VR is a demo promo for the movie but the 10 minutes is fun as hell. I think they're on the verge of a breakthrough with VR - once they get rid of the wires, and it runs higher resolutions, and get full games like Batman proves it can be. Innovation in video games is down that route.

Spider-Man isn't. It's a great game though.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
The music that kicks on the moment you start swinging around, also awesome. But the entire time I just wanted this to bust in, even once:

When it was on the start of the Homecoming movie in the theatre, I was like "OH shit." Chills up the spine. It would be so fun to play this game with it going.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What do you mean by interesting? In a genre breaking way like Grand Theft Auto was introducing a whole new style of gaming? Or interesting in game to play?

It's not going to break the current mode of games, I'm not imaginative to think of how a game could. It's an open world game with a good story, you're Peter Parker/Spider-Man and main missions, side missions, and it's just a lot of fun. Where games like Assassins Creed often miss the boat, being frustrating, repetitive, a chore at times - this one doesn't miss a beat from the moment you start - you are Spider-Man and kick ass beginning to end. Side missions are actually fun, New York City looks better than Google Maps.

But if you want innovation, I'm not sure you'll get it. Like ever in any game, with the way games are now. You might be looking more in the route of VR if you want an experience you've never had. Batman Arkham VR on PSVR is entirely mind-blowing. But short. Spiderman Homecoming VR is a demo promo for the movie but the 10 minutes is fun as hell. I think they're on the verge of a breakthrough with VR - once they get rid of the wires, and it runs higher resolutions, and get full games like Batman proves it can be. Innovation in video games is down that route.

Spider-Man isn't. It's a great game though.
Interesting in terms of deep, meaty, and rewarding systems, design, and mechanics (and possibly artistry/charm/creativity to a lesser extent) rather than surface level novelty, "entertainment", escapism, fantasy-fulfillment, immersion, and simulation (like what most VR games typically would be). Game-changing technological innovation doesn't really have anything to do with what I'm talking about, as all of these things are a side of videogames that I don't particularly care about.

Basically, I'm just curious if it's like the video-game equivalent of a high production value, carefully considered pop-corn movie with a generic but serviceable story that just takes you on a fun and thrilling ride, and is so well reviewed for that reason, or if there's more to it than that. Those are my suspicions at the moment (not that anyone should feel bad if it is and if they disagree about the value of that).

But I think I got my answer from the past few posts.

Last edited:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
So you're more concerned with talking in circles to sound highly artistic. I mean not all that surprising with your entertainment board history, but you JUST said you wanted a game to be interesting with innovation and not following the same tropes of design, mechanics, and systems.

Now you're saying that's what you're looking for when told it's not innovative in a genre ground breaking way. And then to add in the pretentiously stupid line of "rather than superficial novelty, escapism, fantasy-fulfillment, immersion and simulation" which is you know what the exact point of video games are. Great use of your Sociology 101 textbook glossary though.

Like if I go into one of your artsy foreign film threads and I'm all
"Yes, but really does this motion picture have a story, with videography, background scenery, on a digital copy with contrast of light and dark? I want none of that. So tell me does it work on screens to see with your senses or is it just a popcorn movie?? I don't mean innovation like recording it on film itself. But rather than the generic watch it on a screen type story, I also want it on film with a deep story, meaty videography, and a grabby contrast."

Get lost.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So you're more concerned with talking in circles to sound highly artistic. I mean not all that surprising with your entertainment board history, but you JUST said you wanted a game to be interesting with innovation and not following the same tropes of design, mechanics, and systems.

Now you're saying that's what you're looking for when told it's not innovative in a genre ground breaking way. And then to add in the line of "rather than superficial novelty, escapism, fantasy-fulfillment, immersion and simulation" which is you know what the exact point of video games are.

Like if I go into one of your artsy foreign film threads and I'm all
"Yes, but really does this film have a story, with videography, background scenery, on a digital copy with contrast of light and dark?" I want none of that. So tell me does it work on film or is it just a popcorn movie?? I don't mean innovation like recording it on film itself. But rather than the generic watch it on a screen type story."

Get lost.
What on earth are you on about? The qualities that I described as a focus that I'm not as interested in are not universally the point of videogames (most of them have more to do with presentation and showcasing technology than the core gameplay). I'm just wondering if the game has deep and mechanically rewarding design/systems, beyond just the controls being smooth and fun (which is one factor that I value, but I'm curious about the others). That's a valid question.

Last edited:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Ok guy.

I'll rate it on a Shareefruck movie type system for you:

It's a 8.25V
The V being for Video games that are playable but not quite on my own idiotic scale of 0-10/A or 0-10/G or 6.45/10A.

You get the idea. Unfortunately it is novelty, self fulfillment, escapism, fantasy fulfillment, immersion and simulation" that all video games are. I don't know that there's ever been a more dead-serious full of themselves look down the nose sentence ever said on HF than that gem.

You'll hate it.
Still makes me laugh someone even wrote that, all that's missing is a monocle and a fainting spell.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad