Movies: Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5th, 2019)

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Totally agreed about Peter being the "next Iron Man". I hate that. For now I am going to assume that is kind of a misdirect.

But also I don't want Spider-Man to be an Avenger. I've never viewed him as an Avenger mainly because he is "bigger than the team". I prefer him being Avengers adjacent. Shows up to fight with them, helps them whenever he can, but he shouldn't be a formal Avenger.

Reactions: Voight

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
this trailer hooked me in a hell of a lot more than the 1st did. Its gone from "I'll catch in on Prime" to "see in theaters"

also we definitely know how they'll bring the X-Men into the MCU now. Multiverse cures all

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
There are hundreds of adult avengers now alive. I need a realistic explanation of why Fury works with the kid. :nod:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
There are hundreds of adult avengers now alive. I need a realistic explanation of why Fury works with the kid. :nod:
There's pretty much none.

The only ones available are the ones getting their own Shows:
Falcon, Winter Soldier, Scarlet Witch
We will probably get an explanation as to where they are during their shows.

The rest aren't affiliated with the Avengers, or Fury.
Ant man/Wasp, Guardians of the Galaxy (now with Thor), Dr.Strange, Black Panther/Wakandans, Asgardians / Revengers.

Hawkeye is retired for good. War Machine is a Colonel in the US Air Force.

Spider-Man and Captain Marvel are really the only ones left.

Reactions: Voight

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Totally agreed about Peter being the "next Iron Man". I hate that. For now I am going to assume that is kind of a misdirect.

But also I don't want Spider-Man to be an Avenger. I've never viewed him as an Avenger mainly because he is "bigger than the team". I prefer him being Avengers adjacent. Shows up to fight with them, helps them whenever he can, but he shouldn't be a formal Avenger.

I don’t think Marvel can take the chance of making Spider-Man too big, can they? Considering the Sony / Marvel property rights issue, you’d think they kind of have to play it safe with him.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I don’t think Marvel can take the chance of making Spider-Man too big, can they? Considering the Sony / Marvel property rights issue, you’d think they kind of have to play it safe with him.

I know the MCU is a behemoth but I dont know if they can reverse engineer Spider-Man's stardom. He is, and always has been, the most famous Marvel superhero.

But still, its not that I want the MCU to present Spidey as "better" than the MCU regulars. I just don't want him to be a formal, full time Avenger. I prefer the kind of story where The Avengers are dealing with some cosmic bullshit while Spider-Man is fighting Kingpin in New York.

Which reminds me. D'inofrio's Kingpin in the MCU would be incredible.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So unless Mysterio is lying, (which we sort of know he is) and multiverse is real (well Dr Strange already covered that to a degree), this is how mutants could be introduced.

Reactions: irunthepeg

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
*SPOILERS*

I could be wrong, but Peter's arc in this movie could be about him "being himself" and not trying to be the next Iron Man.

I am guessing it's a misdirect on Mysterio, but I could be wrong.

Either way, we finally have the multi-verse! I am assuming that's why they wanted to technically keep this in Phase 3.

I can definitely see the key theme being Peter trying to figure out what his role is. Considering the events of Infinity War/End Game, he'll be conflicted with following the "just your neighborhood spider man" view he accepted at the end of Homecoming. If I'm a betting man, Spidey will try to be like Iron Man, will fail in doing so and find his own approach out of it.

Reactions: Loosie

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I can definitely see the key theme being Peter trying to figure out what his role is. Considering the events of Infinity War/End Game, he'll be conflicted with following the "just your neighborhood spider man" view he accepted at the end of Homecoming. If I'm a betting man, Spidey will try to be like Iron Man, will fail in doing so and find his own approach out of it.
Isn't this literally the plot to Homecoming?

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
In a essence yes, but the difference I'm picturing is there will be external pressure either from Happy or Nick Furry to fill in the shoes of Iron Man where as in Homecoming it was more of Peter decieding to do more than he was capable of

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

Eh, I don't think so. I saw Homecoming as Spider-Man trying to prove that he's worthy of being an Avenger, failing, and then re-deeming himself and showing he was worthy.

Seems like a different premise than what Far From Home will be going after.

Also kind of cool how "Far From Home" may mean more than we originally thought. I think I saw a theory on that at one point. Not sure if it was here on somewhere else.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree that it's going to be something along the lines of people wanting Spider-Man to be the new Iron Man (whether it's Parker himself or others), and him trying to find his own way.

The other thing that will be interesting to see if there is a drop in interest in the MCU movies after Endgame.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I agree that it's going to be something along the lines of people wanting Spider-Man to be the new Iron Man (whether it's Parker himself or others), and him trying to find his own way.

The other thing that will be interesting to see if there is a drop in interest in the MCU movies after Endgame.

Maybe, but the box office won't show it. I'm like 94.5% certain this movie is gonna make a billion, assuming it isn't a bad movie.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Maybe, but the box office won't show it. I'm like 94.5% certain this movie is gonna make a billion, assuming it isn't a bad movie.

I don't think a Spider-Man, coming hot on the heels of End Game, is where we will start to see cracks in the MCU. Far From Home looks like it is very much still involved in the Infinity Saga that audiences loved.

Once they announce the next slate of movies, I think that is where we will see the first signs of fatigue.

Throw the Disney Plus shows in there, and I think we might actually reach a saturation point.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't think a Spider-Man, coming hot on the heels of End Game, is where we will start to see cracks in the MCU. Far From Home looks like it is very much still involved in the Infinity Saga that audiences loved.

Once they announce the next slate of movies, I think that is where we will see the first signs of fatigue.

Throw the Disney Plus shows in there, and I think we might actually reach a saturation point.

i think the shows are going to hurt the movies because of exactly this. Its going to be complete oversaturation.

Especially if they follow through with the rumored plan that the streaming shows will be essential viewing to stay up to date on what happens in the movies.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
NITPICK TIME!

I don't love the direction they're going. I don't want Spider-Man to be the new Iron Man. I want him to be Spider-Man.

Might be fun, but... meh, don't love it.

I will say I'm curious as to what angle Mysterio is playing. I don't think I buy him as a hero, but I could be convinced.

I feel like it's almost a guarantee (the trailer alone is making this obvious) that the movie will be him trying to fit into Tony's shoes then realizing he has to be himself.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I feel like it's almost a guarantee (the trailer alone is making this obvious) that the movie will be him trying to fit into Tony's shoes then realizing he has to be himself.

Thats still extremely close to the last movie where he was trying to fit into Avengers shoes only to realize he needs to be himself

Reactions: irunthepeg

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
i think the shows are going to hurt the movies because of exactly this. Its going to be complete oversaturation.

Especially if they follow through with the rumored plan that the streaming shows will be essential viewing to stay up to date on what happens in the movies.

I don't think they said it will be essential, did they? Maybe there will be tie-ins, but I highly doubt they make those shows necessary. And if they do go that route, I could see them slowing down on the movie production somewhat. That said, I am not really a believer in over-saturation.

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Thats still extremely close to the last movie where he was trying to fit into Avengers shoes only to realize he needs to be himself

That was him trying to prove he was worthy of being an Avenger. And Stark didn't think he was worthy, so Peter had to prove it himself. I didn't really see that arc about him "being himself," tbh. I saw it more about him continuing to be himself, even if Stark didn't think it was right.

I see that as completely different than him thinking he needs to take Stark's role, if that's the route they're going down.

I mean, yeah, there are some similarities when you break it down in simplistic terms. But... welcome to comic book movies haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad