Movies: Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5th, 2019)

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I have a hard time getting too upset about any changes that are made to "MJ".

Mary Jane's "character" is basically just "hot redhead with confidence".

"Face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot". :rolleyes:

The character of Mary Jane has always sucked so its not like they are spoiling anything by making her uninteresting in a different way.

MJ in the Spider-Man PS4 videogame was the closest she has ever come to a real person.
My thoughts exactly.

I’ve always thought MJ challenged Peter, so hearing her say the thing about having value made me chuckle... even if it was a little SJWish.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Making MJ a social justice warrior is possibly the worst thing to happen to the Marvel Cinematic Universe outside the Fantastic 4 movies.

Also, is it just me, or is Jake Gyllenhaal totally portrayed as a hero in the trailer? Looks like he's fighting the villain?

One of 2 things

They will portray him as a Deadpool type who will do what the hell he wants, could be good or bad.

He will show Spidey hes an Allie, then attempt to kill him so theres 1 less hero to get in his way.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That was my initial thoughts as well. But Mysterio uses illusions a lot in the comics...

My guess is he's the one actual villain in the movie and the 4 elemental monsters we see in the trailer are actually his illusions he created and is fighting to try and make it look like he's a good guy so he can hide whatever it is he's doing.

That's what I am thinking but you never know with the MCU they do change things from time to time.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That was my initial thoughts as well. But Mysterio uses illusions a lot in the comics...

My guess is he's the one actual villain in the movie and the 4 elemental monsters we see in the trailer are actually his illusions he created and is fighting to try and make it look like he's a good guy so he can hide whatever it is he's doing.

This is what I'm thinking.

Fury wants Spider-Man to figure out what the deal with this guy is.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
What movie theatres do these Twitter people go to? Everytime I look on Twitter people are talking about all the people they saw (or were themselves) crying in pretty much any movie in existence. I don't think I have ever noticed somebody crying in a movie threate in my entire life.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
What movie theatres do these Twitter people go to? Everytime I look on Twitter people are talking about all the people they saw (or were themselves) crying in pretty much any movie in existence. I don't think I have ever noticed somebody crying in a movie threate in my entire life.

I've seen it, been with people who have. Maybe not in comic book movies but dramas.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Her character sucks. I know they lean into it for jokes, but her being an obnoxious SJW isn't funny or interesting.

Favourite part was the ending when Flash called Peter a dickwad. :laugh:

At 52 seconds.

Peter Parker : You look really pretty.

MJ : And therefore I have value?

If I was Peter Parker my response would be : YES!

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I mean she literally tells Pete in the next line of dialogue that shes messing with him so whats the issue

Thats the modern day equivalent of a ".....NOT" joke from Wayne's World. Make a dull, unfunny statement, and then follow it up with "NOT!/Im just messing with you". Its tired.

Also her line in the first movie about slaves building the Washington monument and her teacher apparently having to be educated by her about that; this shit just makes me roll my eyes. Its a dumb person's idea of a smart person.

Reactions: Guardian17

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Thats the modern day equivalent of a ".....NOT" joke from Wayne's World. Make a dull, unfunny statement, and then follow it up with "NOT!/Im just messing with you". Its tired.

Also her line in the first movie about slaves building the Washington monument and her teacher apparently having to be educated by her about that; this **** just makes me roll my eyes. Its a dumb person's idea of a smart person.

She's just being contrarian and prickly. You may not like it, but I enjoy her character. They've done the bubbly MJ thing before - I'm open to something new.

The bit where the black National Park Service guy kind of waggles his hand is one of the funniest bits in the film.

Reactions: Huggy43 and Pugs35

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Just seems weird to me that anybody would think it wasn't built by slaves. Especially for a teacher at an advanced private school who is taking students on an educational field trip. The ignorant adult white guy trope is very tired.

Reactions: Guardian17

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just seems weird to me that anybody would think it wasn't built by slaves. Especially for a teacher at an advanced private school who is taking students on an educational field trip. The ignorant adult white guy trope is very tired.

Well it was completed well after the Civil War concluded, so I don’t see it as that odd.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
It's pretty obvious now that Disney/Marvel don't know what makes Spider-Man great. In fact, they ruined him. Homecoming was mediocre at best and I don't expect much from this one. To make a great film, sometimes you gotta be bold. Easier to make safe films and pump millions into marketing, though. MCU Spider-Man is not a good version of him. Real fans understand this.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
It's pretty obvious now that Disney/Marvel don't know what makes Spider-Man great. In fact, they ruined him. Homecoming was mediocre at best and I don't expect much from this one. To make a great film, sometimes you gotta be bold. Easier to make safe films and pump millions into marketing, though. MCU Spider-Man is not a good version of him. Real fans understand this.
As a "real fan," I totally agree.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Spider-Man 3 is the reason I didn't care about The Avengers, or really ANY superhero movies until like 2015.

I never liked Tobey as Peter right from the start but then it just kept getting worse.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Tobey was fine and the first tow spider-man movies were some of the best comic book movie adaptations ever made...especially the 2nd one. Homecoming was a good movie...not particularly sure what the poster above is talking about when they state Homecoming was not a good representation of him. For once, they actually picked an actor who was not only age appropriate but played a credible Peter Parker.

The first Amazing Spider-man movie was a good representation as well which seemed to capture the essence of a wisecracking Spider-man. The second Amazing Spider-man was mediocre seemingly more interested in inserting as many cornball comments in it as possible...and that scene at that end with the little kid trying to step in for a missing Spider-man - the most cringeworthy moment in all the Spider-man movies. Yes, I am considering the film clip in Spider-man 3 from the poster above.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'm not a "true fan" because I've never read a comic in my life, but spidey was my favorite cartoon growing up. I absolutely love what they (Marvel/Disney) have done with the character. Homecoming was a great movie (probably helped by Keaton playing one of the best villians they've introduced so far), and all Spiderman scenes in Civil War and Infinity War were some of the highlights of the movies.

Into the Spiderverse was god tier though, I can't wait for that to come out on video to watch it again.

Reactions: Hypernova

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3