Movies: Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5th, 2019)

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I'm putting money on that being a red herring. This is Mysterio we're dealing with.

Maybe that part will be true, but the other stuff won’t be. Only reason I think there’s something to it is because Fury is the one who says it, and I feel like he wouldn’t just believe Mysterio without looking into it himself.

Of course, maybe there’s a misdirect in the trailer on that, or maybe Mysterio was able to trick Fury that well too.

Also, a multiverse just kind of makes sense right now, so that’s why I’m believing it for the time being. I’ll be okay with whatever, though. I want a multiverse, but I would understand if Marvel wouldn’t want to go down that path either. It could become a real mess if not done properly.

Elvis P

WNBA fan since 1997
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Totally agreed about Peter being the "next Iron Man". I hate that. For now I am going to assume that is kind of a misdirect. ... But also I don't want Spider-Man to be an Avenger. ... I prefer him being Avengers adjacent. Shows up to fight with them, helps them whenever he can, but he shouldn't be a formal Avenger.
Agreed. Spidey's variety of powers make him a very flexible opponent who can fight almost anyone, and I don't mind his team ups with the Avengers and the FF, but he is a solo character. He would be a very annoying foe and someone such as Luke Cage would have almost no chance of hitting him. Some type of lucky AOE damage would be the only chance Luke would have. Spider sense (and luck) is one of the best non-(cosmic, magical, or psychic) powers.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Agreed. Spidey's variety of powers make him a very flexible opponent who can fight almost anyone, and I don't mind his team ups with the Avengers and the FF, but he is a solo character. He would be a very annoying foe and someone such as Luke Cage would have almost no chance of hitting him. Some type of lucky AOE damage would be the only chance Luke would have. Spider sense (and luck) is one of the best non-(cosmic, magical, or psychic) powers.
'84 Secret Wars deals with this (although it's a bit of fan service as a comic and this particular story). Spider-Man beats up a few of the X-Men largely because they can't hit him (Wolverine and I think Cyclops? Maybe one other one? Haven't read Secret Wars in awhile).

Elvis P

WNBA fan since 1997
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
'84 Secret Wars deals with this (although it's a bit of fan service as a comic and this particular story). Spider-Man beats up a few of the X-Men largely because they can't hit him (Wolverine and I think Cyclops? Maybe one other one? Haven't read Secret Wars in awhile).
I bought SW the day it came out. You had a post earlier that DC doesn't have good villains. Batman, Superman, and the Flash all have great villain galleries.

Darkseid, Sinestro, Brainiac, Doomsday, Lex Luthor, Deathstroke, R'as al Ghul, Black Adam. DC has plenty of great villains. Some of us are equal fans of both companies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Looks good .. Wasn't sure how much interest I would have in the MCU post-Endgame but I really like how this one is set up.

Seems like the next phase of the MCU movies will have Spiderman as a prominent cornerstone and this movie helps develop his character into that type of role.

Also really liked what I saw from Gyllenhaal as Mysterio .. Could be a good villain.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I bought SW the day it came out. You had a post earlier that DC doesn't have good villains. Batman, Superman, and the Flash all have great villain galleries.

Darkseid, Sinestro, Brainiac, Doomsday, Lex Luthor, Deathstroke, R'as al Ghul, Black Adam. DC has plenty of great villains. Some of us are equal fans of both companies.
And I named every single one of those (except for LL and Deathstroke - LL is written unevenly and Deathstroke is the epitome of meh in my book, but that's a taste thing). Batman has great rogues. Superman has two, *maybe* three good rogues. Green Lanterns really have Sinestro (Parallax isn't terribly interesting, neither are most of the other non-New Gods cosmic characters). Flash's rogues are all either comically underpowered compared to the Flash, or just other speedsters.

DC probably writes their *heroes* better. Flash is interesting because of the shit Flash does. Superman is interesting because of the whole "basically a god but raised a farmboy" background. Batman is a reflection of his rogues and is written well as such (at least since Miller jumped on). Most of Marvel's heroes outside of Spider-Man don't (historically - definitely changed say post 2005) get a ton of development into what they're like when they're not super-heroing. Tony Stark had Demon in a Bottle, Daredevil had Miller's run, but they are B-list characters for the most part. DC definitely does better character studies, and the multiverse gave them tons of opportunity to do a lot of out there things with their flagship properties that Marvel (sans Ultimate universe) just can't do outside of "What Ifs".

I like DC. Sinestro Corps War is probably the best modern (post-2000) crossover, and Crisis on Infinite Earths blows Secret Wars out of the water. I'll tune in for DC events, but I can't put their standard stuff on my pull list.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So a minor clip was released on Ellen, which is an extension of Peter's meeting with Mysterio. Guess it's minor spoilers, but nothing much if you've already seen the trailer.

I gotta say... I very much like the look of Myterio's from what we've seen so far.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
On another note, I started playing the Spider-Man PS4 game last night again, and I forgot how much I like that game. I am using the Iron Spidey suit because.. well... I feel like it's just right.

Ive been chipping away at it since Christmas when I bought it. It's such a good game. A lot of echos to the Batman Arkham games but bigger and better. I'm about 75% in right now. I want to finish it so badly but I have about two weeks until time frees up to do so.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Ive been chipping away at it since Christmas when I bought it. It's such a good game. A lot of echos to the Batman Arkham games but bigger and better. I'm about 75% in right now. I want to finish it so badly but I have about two weeks until time frees up to do so.

I think I'm right around that % as well. Only time I can play is when the fiancé isn't wanting to use the big TV, but I will get there eventually.. ha!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Some of the fan theories floating out there already are pretty crazy. From Mysterio actually being Doom to the elemental being the Fantastic Four etc etc.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
On another note, I started playing the Spider-Man PS4 game last night again, and I forgot how much I like that game. I am using the Iron Spidey suit because.. well... I feel like it's just right.

Got it for Christmas, but haven't opened it yet due to other games I've been playing. I might crack it open soon.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Got it for Christmas, but haven't opened it yet due to other games I've been playing. I might crack it open soon.

You have to do that. Only thing I wish was that the game used the voice of Tom Holland. Just because I love him as Spider-Man, and I want him to be every single version.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

You have to do that. Only thing I wish was that the game used the voice of Tom Holland. Just because I love him as Spider-Man, and I want him to be every single version.

PS4 Peter Parker > Tom Holland's.

I adore PS4 Spider-Man. Basically a perfect game. It was the only reason I bought a PS4 and the sequel will probably be the only reason I buy a PS5.

Top suits:
1. 90's Scarlet-Spider
2. Classic Spider-Man
3. 90's Armored Spider-Man
4. Manga Spider-Clan
5. Spider-Verse

God what a great game!!!

:vhappy:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
PS4 Peter Parker > Tom Holland's.

I adore PS4 Spider-Man. Basically a perfect game. It was the only reason I bought a PS4 and the sequel will probably be the only reason I buy a PS5.

Top suits:
1. 90's Scarlet-Spider
2. Classic Spider-Man
3. 90's Armored Spider-Man
4. Manga Spider-Clan
5. Spider-Verse

God what a great game!!!

:vhappy:

Yeah that game was awesome. Played it for hours.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The moment you realize you didn't take the time to think it through (4:11), but watch from 3:32.

The faces Holland makes trying to figure a way to make sense of the writing of his own film are priceless.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The moment you realize you're in a ****ty film (4:11), but watch from 3:32.

The faces Holland makes trying to figure a way to make sense of the writing of his own film are priceless.

Why are people struggling with this concept so much?

They all got snapped and, therefore, haven’t been to school in 5 years. So they’re going to pick up where they left off.

Here’s how it worked:

1.) Peter was in high school when he was snapped.

2.) After Peter got snapped, he never went to school. Because he was dead. Therefore, he never advanced grades.

3.) When Peter comes back 5 years later, he would be at the same point in school when he was snapped... which was in high school.

I’ve seen so many people unable to put this together. It seems rather obvious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad