Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Huberdeau available, man I would love to be able to punt Marleau and add this guy on LW.

I suggested Nylander for him when I thought Nylander wouldn't sign here and we'd be forced to trade him. Huberdeau next to Matthews would be nice and idk if we could pull off that theft by giving them Marleau. This doesn't really make sense why Florida would want to trade him though,especially if they're going all in on Panarin. They could have the best 1st line next year with Huberdeau-Barkov-Panarin. Is he unhappy and just wants out?

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I like it, but only because we have Tavares now and that is highway robbery for us imo.

Oh there's no doubt it's an overpayment by Columbus but with them most likely losing Panarin and Bobrovski this summer, they're going to need some elite talent up front. Maybe throw in a prospect on our end like Jeremy Bracco or make the 1st round pick a 2nd round pick instead

I would then ship Kapanen+a small add for Pesce

Hyman- Tavares- Marner
Johnsson-Dubois- Nylander
Marleau--Kadri- Anderson
Ennis-Gauthier-Brown/Lindholm

Rielly- Jones
Muzzin-Pesce
Dermott- Hainsey

That to me is a all around phenomenal team with one of the best defenses in the league

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Gards, Kadri, J.D Greenway, 2019 2nd
for
Staal + Brodin

Essentially the deal is Gards for Staal (rentals) and Kadri (3yrs @ 4.5m) for Brodin (2yrs left @ 4,166,667) + prospect & pick for their troubles.

Kap Matthews Nylander
Johnsson JT Marner
Marleau Staal Hyman
Moore Goat Brown

Muzzin Rielly
Dermott Brodin
Hainsey Zaitsev

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Gards, Kadri, J.D Greenway, 2019 2nd
for
Staal + Brodin

Essentially the deal is Gards for Staal (rentals) and Kadri (3yrs @ 4.5m) for Brodin (2yrs left @ 4,166,667) + prospect & pick for their troubles.

Kap Matthews Nylander
Johnsson JT Marner
Marleau Staal Hyman
Moore Goat Brown

Muzzin Rielly
Dermott Brodin
Hainsey Zaitsev

If we were to trade Kadri, Staal is the man i'd go for in the summer, see if we could tie him to a couple of years. Certainly be a good 3C man if he wanted to end his career in his home town on a competitive team.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I should put this thread on ignore. Every time I look at it the proposals just make my head spin. I presume everyone here is heartily using the OCS.

Reactions: kb

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I like the idea of using Brown as a base for one of the better rental forwards on the market. I think he is more valuable to us in that sense, rather than just taking a pick at the Draft. I remember hearing Anaheim had interest in the past, so perhaps we could deal Brown, a future 2nd, and a forward prospect for Silfverberg.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I should put this thread on ignore. Every time I look at it the proposals just make my head spin. I presume everyone here is heartily using the OCS.

I know how you feel. I feel the same way about these proclamation posts. Any bad trade proposal post is infinitely more fun. What's next? A post explaining to all of us "that's why people hate Leafs fans." The only point of these posts is to shame to silence.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Haven't been on the boards since Sunday afternoon. Night of and day after a loss here is unbearable so I tend to stay away until it hopefully calms down. Fill me in so I don't have to check the spazzoid threads and I understand the mood going forward, do we all hate Matthews even more now? Don't care if it is yes or no, just want to know what to expect until he scores again.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Haven't been on the boards since Sunday afternoon. Night of and day after a loss here is unbearable so I tend to stay away until it hopefully calms down. Fill me in so I don't have to check the spazzoid threads and I understand the mood going forward, do we all hate Matthews even more now? Don't care if it is yes or no, just want to know what to expect until he scores again.

IMO, Matthews plays like a sniper, instead of a dominant 2-way centre and you don't pay 11.6m/yr for a sniper. In many ways, he's play as a 2-way centre has regressed instead of improve. This could be due to injuries, but it's definitely concerning.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs trade deadline primer: Kyle Dubas’...

What are the Leafs’ best tradeable assets?

GMKD already dealt his 2019 first-round pick for Muzzin, along with two middling futures (Carl Grundstrom and Sean Durzi). He’s not dealing from the league’s strongest prospect pool, despite the work of former super scout Mark Hunter, but he does have some intriguing options.

The most valuable among those?

1. Rasmus Sandin (almost untouchable)
2. Timothy Liljegren
3. 2020 first-round pick
4. Jeremy Bracco
5. 2019 second-round pick
6. Other prospects

The more realistic option could be to try and deal off the roster. The Leafs’ cap crunch next season is going to mean they’ll lose established players for 2019-20 regardless, so Dubas could get out ahead of those decisions and move a Connor Brown or Nikita Zaitsev in the next two weeks rather than waiting for the summer.

That potentially solves the “cap space” issue and the “what do we trade” issue in a combined effort. But it’s a fair question what, if any, value players like that have around the league. (Zaitsev, in particular, may need a sweetener added into any deal to get another GM to stomach the cap hit and term he has remaining.)

You wonder if that could make someone like Johnsson or Kapanen available, if there’s a high-end right-shot D coming the other way. Given the seasons they’ve had, the Leafs are going to need to squeeze them hard on their RFA deals. And other teams will be intrigued.

The Leafs’ top targets are going to be any and all right D who (a) can plausibly play in the top four for multiple seasons, (b) have term remaining, (c) are on teams looking to retool their rosters for next year.

In other words, any right-shot D playing significant minutes on a struggling club is a credible option. Brett Pesce, Radko Gudas, Nick Jensen (a pending UFA) and Chris Tanev are four obvious names that fit the description, but there are more candidates around the league.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
IMO, Matthews plays like a sniper, instead of a dominant 2-way centre and you don't pay 11.6m/yr for a sniper. In many ways, he's play as a 2-way centre has regressed instead of improve. This could be due to injuries, but it's definitely concerning.

I really want to disagree because this truth bomb hurts. But your observation that Matthews hasn't become that 2 way center many of us hoped he would is noted. However I disagree that about paying snipers. Goals win hockey games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad