Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Guess I thought you would know what I meant without having to clarify that.

My point was to replace Hainsey with someone likely more fitting, like a RHD. And you said to me it's because Hainsey is a RHD when Hainsey is a LHD playing the right.

Ok...

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
... My point is to replace Hainsey with a RHD.

And my point is that you are not even solving any problems...

Rielly is still on the RD, and you still only have two capable RD (Zaitsev + Pesce instead of Zaitsev + Hainsey) in the top 6 (to be totally clear).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
And my point is that you are not even solving any problems...

Rielly is still on the RD, and you still only have two capable RD (Zaitsev + Pesce instead of Zaitsev + Hainsey) in the top 6 (to be totally clear).

Rielly and Muzzin has been a terrific pairing. There's no need to change anything on it. When it works, it works.

I'm solving the problem that Hainsey isn't very good and a pending UFA making decent amount of money stopping us from grabbing an upgrade.

Reactions: 613Leafer

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No, we need capable RD. Hainsey and Zaitsev are the only ones in our top 6 right now.

The problem is we are forcing Rielly, a LD, to play on his off-side and he's not doing as well with it. Sure he's capable because he's that good, but Rielly has not looked nearly as sharp on the RD as he did on the LD, and that is with Muzzin as his partner instead of Hainsey. If the Leafs got someone like Martinez (another LHD who has play RD almost exclusively in his career), I doubt you hear Babcock bring it up that much... And if he did, then he really just has a stupid obsession that he needs to get over. Babcock's issue should not be with Hainsey playing RD, it should be with Rielly playing RD.

Many fans don't like Faulk but if we could turn Jake into Faulk it would allow Rielly to play his strong size. Faulk also has a good slapshot from the point.

Rielly Hainsey
Muzzin Faulk
Dermott Z

You could also make a subsequent deal that replaces Z or Hainsey with a better RHD.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Many fans don't like Faulk but if we could turn Jake into Faulk it would allow Rielly to play his strong size. Faulk also has a good slapshot from the point.

Rielly Hainsey
Muzzin Faulk
Dermott Z

You could also make a subsequent deal that replaces Z or Hainsey with a better RHD.

I'd rather get someone who is far better defensively in Pesce than consider Faulk. He's super overrated, just like Shattenkirk was. I wouldn't count on him for crap in the playoffs.

Plus if you get Pesce, Hainsey can stick on the bottom pairing. Muzzin-Zaitsev is a good 2nd pairing, just like Dermott-Hainsey is a good 3rd pairing.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd rather get someone who is far better defensively in Pesce than consider Faulk. He's super overrated, just like Shattenkirk was. I wouldn't count on him for crap in the playoffs.

Plus if you get Pesce, Hainsey can stick on the bottom pairing. Muzzin-Zaitsev is a good 2nd pairing, just like Dermott-Hainsey is a good 3rd pairing.

Sure I like Pesce better but it will take Kappy. The closer we get to the deadline, the cheaper Faulk might get.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wonder if we see a base deal around Kapanen and [Enter ANA d-man] in the summer.

It makes some sense, mainly with a guy like Brandon Montour.

Can see it happening though seems as if Dubas may want to load up more for this playoff run.

Him commenting about not touching Kapanen or AJs contracts until post TDL makes it seem like one of them may be on the block (and given some rumors that the Leafs have no interest in moving kapanen now) makes it seem they may be trying to sell AJ (Canes?)

Edit: typo

Last edited:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Can see it happening though seems as if Dubas may want to stick up more for thisnplayoff run.

Him commenting about not touching Kapanen or AJs contracts until post TDL makes it seem like one of them may be on the block (and given some rumors that the Leafs have no interest in moving kapanen now) makes it seem they may be trying to sell AJ (Canes?)

Kapanen on the 1st Line, Jonsson on the 4th..I wouldn't be shocked if its Kapanen they are trying to trade, but Im just spitballing really. I would rather keep them both.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can see it happening though seems as if Dubas may want to stick up more for thisnplayoff run.

I could see Anaheim being very interested in Johnsson. He'd be a big boost in speed and a natural LW, something they lack of. With that said, their defense is pretty damn thin after losing a bunch of them over the past couple years.

I wouldn't mind a deal based around Johnsson for Montour. I think it fits our needs, but not sure it does for them?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I could see Anaheim being very interested in Johnsson. He'd be a big boost in speed and a natural LW, something they lack of. With that said, their defense is pretty damn thin after losing a bunch of them over the past couple years.

I wouldn't mind a deal based around Johnsson for Montour. I think it fits our needs, but not sure it does for them?

I'd still prefer Pesce (or Manson if that was an option) to Montour, but I'd take Montour 100% over Faulk and possibly even over Hamilton.

Vatanen would be in the same tier as Montour for me as well. It'd be nice just to have another larger or more physical body on defense than Montour or Vatanen, but at least those two can play a decent defensive game.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Sure I like Pesce better but it will take Kappy. The closer we get to the deadline, the cheaper Faulk might get.

Maybe not, especially if we add a suitable package of other pieces in there.

RLF

May 5, 2014

Rielly Hainsey
Muzzin Faulk
Dermott Z

I'm in no hurry to move Hainsey. I think he is fine as a 3rd pair - PK guy. He has won a cup, so good experience we could use and has familiarity with Rielly if someone gets hurt. Unless he is moved for an obvious upgrade, I'd rather keep him.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I'd move our #3 RWer for a legit top 4 defensive RHD signed to a longterm deal. It directly fills our biggest team need, and top 9 wingers are much easier to replace.

I like Kapanen, but we're not talking Hall for Larsson here. Kapanen isn't a player with elite all-star potential, just a good versatile secondary forward.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I'd move our #3 RWer for a legit top 4 defensive RHD signed to a longterm deal. It directly fills our biggest team need, and top 9 wingers are much easier to replace.

I like Kapanen, but we're not talking Hall for Larsson here. Kapanen isn't a player with elite all-star potential, just a good versatile secondary forward.
Kappy is great but we would need to add in a deal for Pesce and the question is what is the +? I think we aren't going to trade for anything else and I am fine with us not going all in with our assets for our 1st year of real eligibility.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Right. Playoff hockey is all about point totals
2 Goals in 17 games? That is anything but a playoff performer. Well, yes....Nylander was absolutely crucified for being the 4th highest scoring Leaf in the playoffs last year - 1 point out of 2nd behind Marner. Double Matthews and Kadri. And yes, his playoffs were not particularly good, but not as spectacularly bad as those 2..

We need to take off the fanboy goggles and impartially evaluate performance.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Has anyone heard a 'good job' comment from Shanahan yet?

Shanahan has been rather quiet lately.

He's been known for complimenting and speaking to the media about Leafs business all the time so it is kinda odd :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I love kappys speed and his play. But for a legit top 4 rhd it’s a pretty easy decision, I just think we’d have to add to kappy pretty significantly.

I think if Johnsson would have got the deal done it would have been done weeks ago

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad