Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
Gards, Kadri, J.D Greenway, 2019 2nd
for
Staal + Brodin

Essentially the deal is Gards for Staal (rentals) and Kadri (3yrs @ 4.5m) for Brodin (2yrs left @ 4,166,667) + prospect & pick for their troubles.

Kap Matthews Nylander
Johnsson JT Marner
Marleau Staal Hyman
Moore Goat Brown

Muzzin Rielly
Dermott Brodin
Hainsey Zaitsev

I'm for moving 51 (not a believer in the own rental theory) and 43 for equal value. I like this deal but I'm not sure Minny would. I'd assume they are high on Greenway

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The more realistic option could be to try and deal off the roster.

I'm as guilty as any poster for using colloquial language and awkward sentence structure. However this writer is supposed to be a professional journalist working for a professional publication that presumably employs editors.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
You wouldn't trade with Columbus for that package? As much as I love Matthews, a trade involving the Leafs acquiring Jones, Dubois and Andersen and a first? That's a ton of value coming back to the leafs.

Yup. Though trading him a week after signing an extension would tarnish the org's reputation with future players

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Zaitsev + Engvall + 5th for 4th and insert 1-2 year contract dump

Would you do it?

Nope.

I believe Zaitsev has value on his own. I think Gardiner phases in and out of our reality at uncontrolled intervals leaving his partner in unfavorable situations.

I could go with 5th. for a 4th. and a 1 year contract dump.

I would prefer something like Gardiner, Bracco, 2nd for a top 4 RD with term.

Rielly - legitimate RD
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Reactions: aingefan

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Nope.

I believe Zaitsev has value on his own. I think Gardiner phases in and out of our reality at uncontrolled intervals leaving his partner in unfavorable situations.

I could go with 5th. for a 4th. and a 1 year contract dump.

I would prefer something like Gardiner, Bracco, 2nd for a top 4 RD with term.

Rielly - legitimate RD
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

hmm. I'm not a big Engvall fan, so maybe Zaitsev + engvall for a 4th and 1 year contract dump (under contract for 2019-20?)

Leafs clear cap by 2020 anyways

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
hmm. I'm not a big Engvall fan, so maybe Zaitsev + engvall for a 4th and 1 year contract dump (under contract for 2019-20?)

Leafs clear cap by 2020 anyways

Do you mean after the season?

This deal only weakens the Leafs right now, so is the intent to use that money in the free agent market to acquire a top RD?

You could probably get a 4th. for Engvall alone, so Engvall for a 4th. and a cap dump? 4th. rounders are longshots to ever make it.

Zaitsev probably get you a 2nd., Leafs traded quite a bit to get a LD, which are much easier to come by than RD.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
LEAFS - BLUE JACKETS
Josh Anderson, David Savard
for
Nazem Kadri, Nikita Zaitsev, 2020 2nd

LEAFS - WILD
Charlie Coyle
for
Connor Brown, Dymtro Tymashov, Justin Holl

Nylander - Matthews - Anderson
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Johnsson - - - Coyle - - - Kapanen
Marleau - - - Gauthier - - - Ennis

Muzzin - - - Rielly
Gardiner - Savard
Dermott - Hainsey

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yup. Though trading him a week after signing an extension would tarnish the org's reputation with future players

You're not wrong. In fairness though, a trade offer like this being on the table a week after re-signing Matthews would have been difficult to predict. Regardless, wouldn't expect it to happen/be offered (by either team).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
LEAFS - BLUE JACKETS
Josh Anderson, David Savard
for
Nazem Kadri, Nikita Zaitsev, 2020 2nd

LEAFS - WILD
Charlie Coyle
for
Connor Brown, Dymtro Tymashov, Justin Holl

Nylander - Matthews - Anderson
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Johnsson - - - Coyle - - - Kapanen
Marleau - - - Gauthier - - - Ennis

Muzzin - - - Rielly
Gardiner - Savard
Dermott - Hainsey

You really really really really really really really really really really want Josh Anderson don't you?

Literally every day...

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
IMO Zaitsev is paid above his pay grade and will continue to paid above his pay grade for 5 more seasons. That always reduces market value significantly. The only way to return trade value for Zaitsev is salary retention or taking a bad contract in return. To me the ideal is finding someone willing to take Zaitsev's contract without retention and little return then sourcing a more economical substitution. As far as I'm concerned that might be pie in the sky. The realistic solution is lumping it with Zaitsev's contract, play him, he's serviceable, then re-visit his worth in a couple years. $4.5M for Zaitsev in 2021 if he hasn't declined greatly might be appropriate. Also discarding his contract through trade or buyout or other means at that time might not be as difficult we think it'll be.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Do you mean after the season?

This deal only weakens the Leafs right now, so is the intent to use that money in the free agent market to acquire a top RD?

You could probably get a 4th. for Engvall alone, so Engvall for a 4th. and a cap dump? 4th. rounders are longshots to ever make it.

Zaitsev probably get you a 2nd., Leafs traded quite a bit to get a LD, which are much easier to come by than RD.

Obviously. This is a mid-june trade.

Zaitsev does not get you a 2nd with his cap hit

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
IMO Zaitsev is paid above his pay grade and will continue to paid above his pay grade for 5 more seasons. That always reduces market value significantly. The only way to return trade value for Zaitsev is salary retention or taking a bad contract in return. To me the ideal is finding someone willing to take Zaitsev's contract without retention and little return then sourcing a more economical substitution. As far as I'm concerned that might be pie in the sky. The realistic solution is lumping it with Zaitsev's contract, play him, he's serviceable, then re-visit his worth in a couple years. $4.5M for Zaitsev in 2021 if he hasn't declined greatly might be appropriate. Also discarding his contract through trade or buyout or other means at that time might not be as difficult we think it'll be.

he is overpaid, but not to the point where he, engvall and a 5th return a 4th and cap dump. I think we could actually move him for a long shot prospect or 7th on his own. That deal is just terrible, especially since engvall looks pretty good on the marlies

Reactions: JustAShadow

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
he has a NTC that kicks in july 1

even so, he isn't that bad. We could get rid of him for a 7th without throwing away prospects and picks with him, if we want some value we oculd add a prospect. The value is obviously the cap space. He is an NHL dman someone would take him

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Obviously. This is a mid-june trade.

Zaitsev does not get you a 2nd with his cap hit

Want to guess what UFA 2nd. pairing 27 year old right handed defenders are going to get this summer?

They're talking starting the bidding on one-way Gardiner 6+ on a long term contract.

There is a premium for RD, there are about 50% more LD than RD in the NHL.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Want to guess what UFA 2nd. pairing 27 year old right handed defenders are going to get this summer?

They're talking starting the bidding on one-way Gardiner 6+ on a long term contract.

There is a premium for RD, there are about 50% more LD than RD in the NHL.

I'd prefer to dump Zaitsev for nothing than keep him

say him + Engvall for a pick

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
There are ALOT of rental wingers available, which leads me to think that the price for them will drop and be diluted.

I think it is very possible we could end up getting a guy like Simmonds/Silfverberg for Brown + 2nd + Prospect

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
its so important to be built strong down the middle. win faceoffs, retain possession. i.e. Bos
trading Kadri for a winger is a terrible idea imo
he's on a team friendly contract, plays a big leadership role and leads babs shutdown line . imo he's not going anywhere

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
There are ALOT of rental wingers available, which leads me to think that the price for them will drop and be diluted.

I think it is very possible we could end up getting a guy like Simmonds/Silfverberg for Brown + 2nd + Prospect

Both of those guys are RW's... And would be our 4th best ones at that.

I'm not paying that price, especially if teams like Boston are going to be interested and bidding high on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad