Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If the target really is Pesce and they want forwards/picks/futures.

Could be wise to see if we could get a buyer for Gardiner at a 1st.

Package 1st, Kap & something small for Pesce if that's what Dubas is willing to do.

Considering we need to move out ~4M in capspace if we're adding Pesce, it would take this type of creative maneuvering in order to land a guy like Pesce. Might be able to swing it by moving Hainsey instead of Gardiner. Hainsey would probably still get something like a 2nd + 4th from another team, so would Kapanen + 2nd + 4th get a Pesce trade done? I think it's at least in roughly the right range.

Regardless, if you're adding Pesce, we'd really need to work on getting Zaitsev moved before the start of next season. Can't have Rielly, Muzzin, Pesce, and Zaitsev all at 4M+. Gotta take advantage of Dermott's low caphit next year and have him in the top 4, + put together a cheap bottom pairing (Rosen, Ozhiganov, Liljegren, Sandin, cheap UFA, etc would all be options).

But Pesce would be a great add. Fits our team needs almost perfectly, and solidifies the blueline both short and long-term. If a large portion of the trade value for him could be from flipping a pending UFA like Gardiner or Hainsey to a third team, that would be great asset management IMO.

Reactions: kb

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Here's an off the wall trade:

:edmonton
Matthews
Gardiner
Johnsson
2019 2nd

:leafs
McDavid
Nurse

Will never, ever happen, but, one can dream. No?

Reactions: Cobra777

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He's also a downgrade on Brown despite being older... So even without the cap issues, it makes no sense for the Leafs.

Agreed. He brings a different element to the team but it's not a move I'd be looking to make.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Andreas Johsson to Dallas for Ty Dellandrea, 2019 1st
Auston Matthews to St. Louis for Ryan O'Reilly, Colton Parayko.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Turning Gardiner into futures and sending it Carolina for Pesce would be cool, but I think unrealistic. Carolina probably doesnt want futures.

You'd need to be sure that Zaitsev can be moved.

Also dont know if it'll work cap wise.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Turning Gardiner into futures and sending it Carolina for Pesce would be cool, but I think unrealistic.

It's how Ottawa added Duchene (pending UFA Turris traded to Nashville, Nashville pick/prospect sent to Colorado). It also came up again when Pittsburgh added McCann + Bjugstad (pending UFAs Brassard + Sheahan traded to cover most of the trade value, with Florida expected to flip them for picks/prospects).

It's rare, but it does happen. It's also probably rare because teams that are buying are reluctant to trade players off the roster. If you're willing to do it though, there absolutely are teams out there that would be willing to pay decent value for Gardiner or even Hainsey, which if you already know the value Carolina's looking for in addition to Kapanen, can let you arrange a three-way trade.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
LeBrun in his Athletic piece this morning re-affirms that he doesn't think the Leafs are done adding. He thinks Dubas wants to add a forward upgrade/addition and/or a right handed shot defenseman.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
LeBrun in his Atlhetic piece this morning re-affirms that he doesn't think the Leafs are done adding. He thinks it will be to find a forward upgrade/addition and a top 4 right handed shot.

They can't be done
I'll be deflated if they are cuz I don't see a lot of playoff success with this lineup - as currently constructed

Reactions: Cobra777

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Wow, Matthews proposals already. This town is nuts.

The only way I see us trading Matthews, is for a ridiculous overpayment, and the only team that might push all their chips in for Auston is Arizona.

Something like:
Chychrun
Keller
Crouse
P.O. Joseph
2019 1st round pick (unprotected)

That being said, I don't see Phoenix doing this.

Reactions: kb and Walshy7

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Murray now focusing on major roster changes — The Fourth Period

"There’s been no passion, no pushback, and we’ve always had that,” Murray told the Register. “There are too many guys following, and more people should be leading. That’s why I’m very worried. I need to see it up close in order to get it fixed.”

Murray is trying to get winger Jakob Silfverberg signed to a new contract, but failing that could result in a move by the Feb. 25 deadline. It has also been widely reported that various teams have been inquiring about Ducks forward Adam Henrique and defencemen Brandon Montour and Cam Fowler lately. Any moves Murray makes over these next two weeks are likely to have an impact on the team’s future beyond this season.

The Ducks have just over $71 million committed to next season’s salary cap, which is expected to increase between $81 million and $83 million – up from this season’s $79.5 million mark. Murray told the Register he has “no fear” asking veterans Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry and Ryan Kesler to waive their no-movement clauses if the opportunity arises, but such a move is more likely to occur in the off-season.
“I’m not exempt from anything that’s going on in this room,” Getzlaf told the paper. “I’ve been here my whole career. The last thing I plan on doing is to go somewhere else unless Bob says I have to.
“I’ve always told him that if either side has an opinion that this needs to end, we’ll have the discussion. But I’ve put too much into this organization to not see it through. Going to another team is not in my vocabulary.”

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wonder if we see a base deal around Kapanen and [Enter ANA d-man] in the summer.

It makes some sense, mainly with a guy like Brandon Montour.

Reactions: Menzinger

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Murray now focusing on major roster changes — The Fourth Period

"There’s been no passion, no pushback, and we’ve always had that,” Murray told the Register. “There are too many guys following, and more people should be leading. That’s why I’m very worried. I need to see it up close in order to get it fixed.”

Murray is trying to get winger Jakob Silfverberg signed to a new contract, but failing that could result in a move by the Feb. 25 deadline. It has also been widely reported that various teams have been inquiring about Ducks forward Adam Henrique and defencemen Brandon Montour and Cam Fowler lately. Any moves Murray makes over these next two weeks are likely to have an impact on the team’s future beyond this season.

The Ducks have just over $71 million committed to next season’s salary cap, which is expected to increase between $81 million and $83 million – up from this season’s $79.5 million mark. Murray told the Register he has “no fear” asking veterans Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry and Ryan Kesler to waive their no-movement clauses if the opportunity arises, but such a move is more likely to occur in the off-season.
“I’m not exempt from anything that’s going on in this room,” Getzlaf told the paper. “I’ve been here my whole career. The last thing I plan on doing is to go somewhere else unless Bob says I have to.
“I’ve always told him that if either side has an opinion that this needs to end, we’ll have the discussion. But I’ve put too much into this organization to not see it through. Going to another team is not in my vocabulary.”

Adam Henrique starting next season earns more than Kadri, that is crippling. No one is trading for that contract. Montour maybe we would be interested but not a chance in hell for Nylander as was this forums price all last year

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Turning Gardiner into futures and sending it Carolina for Pesce would be cool, but I think unrealistic. Carolina probably doesnt want futures.

Also dont know if it'll work cap wise.
If you trade Gardiner for futures/picks.

AJ, Brown, Rosen, 2nd
for
Pesce, Foegele

fits rather easily.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why not pawn off Hainsey for a pick or two, and keep Gardiner? Yeah, the return for Gardiner would be higher but he's also much much better than Hainsey.

The 3M Hainsey clears would be more than enough to get an upgrade.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Why not pawn off Hainsey for a pick or two, and keep Gardiner? Yeah, the return for Gardiner would be higher but he's also much much better than Hainsey.

Because we have no RHD.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Many reasons:

1) Gardiner returns more (as you said). Hainsey probably will not return as much as we would hope.

2) Rielly can play LD again, which would be far more ideal.

3) I'd much rather have Hainsey in the playoffs than Gardiner, especially if Hainsey's only going to be playing some PK and bottom pairing minutes. Hainsey is a veteran presence who has won a Cup. Gardiner has won nothing, and has mentally broken down in many high pressure situations (and they are not even going to be as bad as the ones he'll face later in the playoffs). Hainsey is older, but he has shown to be effective if you control his minutes. You can try to control Gardiner's minutes, but he'd only become less effective, less flexible, and he'd still be liable to make a ton of the mistakes he makes.

4) It is far more likely that Dermott gets more minutes if you trade Gardiner than you do Hainsey. If you trade Hainsey, Zaitsev will still get a lot of tough minutes. If you trade Gardiner, Dermott would likely get some more minutes (or Rielly would get more offensive minutes and not have to worry as much about shutting down guys with Pesce, Hainsey, Muzzin and Zaitsev handling it) in favour of Zaitsev and Hainsey, who would not need to do as much heavy lifting with Pesce around.

5) This is an extention of #1, but I think it deserves it's own bullet. You might get Pesce with Johnsson and Hainsey's return (maybe you still need to add a prospect), but you could probably get Ferland as well if you made it Gardiner's return instead. I'd already strongly consider Hainsey over Gardiner, but if it was Hainsey + Ferland vs. Gardiner, I'm taking Hainsey + Ferland every day of the week. Sorry Gards, but Ferland and Hainsey fill much greater needs than you would.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
RHD = Right handed defenseman

Capable RD isn't a problem per say, we need a right handed defenseman.

Either way, replacing Hainsey wouldn't be overly hard and likely a much needed upgrade

No, we need capable RD. Hainsey and Zaitsev are the only ones in our top 6 right now.

The problem is we are forcing Rielly, a LD, to play on his off-side and he's not doing as well with it. Sure he's capable because he's that good, but Rielly has not looked nearly as sharp on the RD as he did on the LD, and that is with Muzzin as his partner instead of Hainsey. If the Leafs got someone like Martinez (another LHD who has play RD almost exclusively in his career), I doubt you hear Babcock bring it up that much... And if he did, then he really just has a stupid obsession that he needs to get over. Babcock's issue should not be with Hainsey playing RD, it should be with Rielly playing RD.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Many reasons:

1) Gardiner returns more (as you said). Hainsey probably will not return as much as we would hope.

2) Rielly can play LD again, which would be far more ideal.

3) I'd much rather have Hainsey in the playoffs than Gardiner, especially if Hainsey's only going to be playing some PK and bottom pairing minutes. Hainsey is a veteran presence who has won a Cup. Gardiner has won nothing, and has mentally broken down in many high pressure situations (and they are not even going to be as bad as the ones he'll face later in the playoffs). Hainsey is older, but he has shown to be effective if you control his minutes. You can try to control Gardiner's minutes, but he'd only become less effective, less flexible, and he'd still be liable to make a ton of the mistakes he makes.

4) It is far more likely that Dermott gets more minutes if you trade Gardiner than you do Hainsey. If you trade Hainsey, Zaitsev will still get a lot of tough minutes. If you trade Gardiner, Dermott would likely get some more minutes (or Rielly would get more offensive minutes and not have to worry as much about shutting down guys with Pesce, Hainsey, Muzzin and Zaitsev handling it) in favour of Zaitsev and Hainsey, who would not need to do as much heavy lifting with Pesce around.

5) This is an extention of #1, but I think it deserves it's own bullet. You might get Pesce with Johnsson and Hainsey's return (maybe you still need to add a prospect), but you could probably get Ferland as well if you made it Gardiner's return instead. I'd already strongly consider Hainsey over Gardiner, but if it was Hainsey + Ferland vs. Gardiner, I'm taking Hainsey + Ferland every day of the week. Sorry Gards, but Ferland and Hainsey fill much greater needs than you would.

I don't want to see Hainsey getting 18+ minutes in the playoffs, and he will if he stays on this team.

Gardiner is so much more valuable. Whoever replaces Hainsey should be more than capable enough of filling in that PK role.

We're a lot stronger with Gardiner over Hainsey no matter how much you hate Gardiner --- and I know you do hate him quite a bit.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No, we need capable RD. Hainsey and Zaitsev are the only ones in our top 6 right now.

The problem is we are forcing Rielly, a LD, to play on his off-side and he's not doing as well with it. Sure he's capable because he's that good, but Rielly has not looked nearly as sharp on the RD as he did on the LD, and that is with Muzzin as his partner instead of Hainsey. If the Leafs got someone like Martinez (another LHD who has play RD almost exclusively in his career), I doubt you hear Babcock bring it up that much... And if he did, then he really just has a stupid obsession that he needs to get over. Babcock's issue should not be with Hainsey playing RD, it should be with Rielly playing RD.

... My point is to replace Hainsey with a RHD.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

As long as you have guys who are as effective (or more effective) playing on the RD as they are on the LD, which is typically easier for RHD than LHD but this is not some concrete rule, then the coach should not be so rigid and complain about it. Otherwise, bench Hainsey or Dermott have Ozhiganov or Holl play instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad